Work

deadend

A change in my position at work is causing me some untimely stress (past few weeks have been rough). I'm transitioning from washing dishes to cooking and I have no real experience besides flipping burgers. My boss is giving me a shot for about a buck more an hour and a handful more hours a week with this new gig. I also know for a fact that the person I will be training/working with most of the time doesn't think I should be there. Her honest opinion is that the boss doesn't evaluate well and that I have no business taking over for the guy that's leaving. In short, she really doesn't want to train me. She also has a habit of talking about folks behind their back - I've already confronted her about it once.

It's just not a good situation for me and I feel like stepping back down (and out of the way) to my old job. It was comfortable for me because I could work at my own pace and not have to deal with folks if I didn't want to. The thing is I'm also financially stressed, so I'm ****** either way.

I could look for a new job but I don't need to explain just how nerve-wracking that would be. I don't think I'm able to do much of anything given my current mental state.

Any suggestions?

LazyHermitCrab

Just try your best, with practice you will get better. I don't even know how to flip a burger properly because i never tried. Make your boss proud. Being a cook seems like a great field and you can use these skills for future jobs too. :)

1. You could > take on the challenge and learn the new position, this could lead to similar work that pays better? If your prepared for a challenge it can lead you to personal growth. I don't think an extra dollar an hour is much though

2. You could > stay in you current stress-less position and use the mental free space to think about where you want to go in life, make some plans, whatever

Either way, look to being proactive and improving in small steps

:)

deadend

Thanks for the replies.

I told my boss today that I'm going through some mental health related issues. He's a very understanding guy and wants me to keep going with it for now. If I have to I can step down, which is nice.

I made an appointment to see the doc and hopefully I can get a referral to a counselor/psychiatrist soon.