Wierd Phobia- am i the only one?

skalnica

This might be a kind of sensory processing disorder/sensory intagration problem, characterised by elevated sensitivity to touch in certain areas of body. The elevated sensitivity may only refer to a touch uncontrolled by self, or an unpredictable one (which means e.g. you have no problem with touching your own neck firmly, but can't stand when your shirt touches it). Try and see a sensory integration therapist who believes adults can be trated (in my area most SI therapists only work with children). He may propose a sensory diet which neccessarily needs to be individually adjusted to your needs and preferences. This may include the Wilbarger massage, for example.
Good luck!

cowboyup

Hey there,

I kinda understand...I DESPISE turtlenecks and shirt collars (button down dress shirts) that touch my neck. I don't know what that is, but I do kinda get what you mean. I get goosebumps and this constricting feeling like I am being strangled.

Wishing you the best!

sensi

Wow I thought I was the only one who had this phobia! I have had it since I was young. Here is the thing though…I can wear a turtleneck as long as it is tight and doesn't rest on a particular part of my neck. I have even cut regular T-shirts to make it like a scoop neck. The only thing I can think of is when I was young my Mom use to say when I was bad "I will ring your neck." Of course she didn't…it was just a phrase. I still carry on with this habit and I am 64.

Miserum

This sounds very like Obsessive-compulsive Disorder to me.

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), and behaviors that drive them to do something over and over (compulsions).

Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts. But this only provides short-term relief. Not doing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety and distress." (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000929.htm)

SelfHater

My son has this problem. One thought is that during his birth he suffered trauma that subconsciously he never forgot. It's only a thought, no way to prove it.