Widespread HH

redping

This forum seems like a godsend, having suffered with HH silently for the past few years. I'm a 22 year old guy from the UK, ~72kg (160lbs) and about 6'1 - so I'm not overweight, nor super-athletic. I've been suffering with HH since a young teen, but it was mostly anxiety based (performing for example) and only in my armpits. However, since about 18/19 it spread to everywhere pretty much, back & buttocks are probably worst, but face, hands and feet as well. Sitting in my room on a cold day and I can start sweating through a pair of jeans and a tshirt, and when I exercise at the gym I pour like I've been running a marathon after just a few exercises an I am by no means unfit. The worst is when I can walk onto campus (about 10 minutes) in the cold, with a jacket, and have nice trickles of sweat down my back, from what is really a small walk!

I may not have the worst HH out there, but it really is starting to bug me! This is purely because the majority of treatments like Botox are just not really possible for such widespread HH and applying things like Odaban is tricky by myself. Odaban has worked somewhat, but it is not always the best at blocking it completely especially when some strong anxiety attacks come.

I have had numerous blood tests done by various doctors, and it shows no overactive thyroid but (very, very) high blood pressure when faced with anxiety. I am reluctant to start taking blood pressure pills as you can't come off them, and also anti-depressants if they are not likely to help. I'm just wondering what other things are possibly available for such widespread HH, I really want to be able to wear whatever clothes I want without worrying about how much the sweat will show. I have started looking at the Avert tablets, but I am not sure about the side-effects and how much it could impact on my social life (not drinking alcohol and the likes).

Sorry for the wall of text, and I understand I am probably not the worst sufferer out there but we all know how much HH can exhaust you. Any help would really be appreciated!

~rp

margiehope

I'm glad you've found us, but sorry you have such overwhelming HH. I know that Avert can sometimes increase heart rate, so something to consider if you are subject to high blood pressure. Your doctor would have to say.
I don't think alcohol needs to be avoided, though--at least I hope not, as I've been on Avert for several years and take a drink without worrying about it. I don't drink a lot, but don't have any problems if I do.

Last edited:

BertaNYC

You might want to ask your physician about Avert. I have craniofacial hyperhydrosis and it seems to help. I am on blood pressure medication as well. Also maybe Valium might be beneficial. Ask your physician. This condition absolutely wrecks havoc in one's life. We feel for you and wish you luck.

margiehope

Yeah I'm on low dose blood pressure meds too. Pharmacy.ca contacted my doctor before giving me Avert: he was OK with it, but good they checked.

Jezza

Sounds all very familiar. To me if you regularly sweat through jeans without exerting yourself that's pretty much full blown HH cause people without HH just don't have that.

I also have the somewhat high blood pressure for my age and weight and my resting heart rate is (has become) pretty high. In the past when it was tested the BP varied somewhat between 150-170 systolic and between 80-90 diastolic. I've heard it many times before from people with HH that they also have primary hypertension.

It's consistent with that theory that 'a hyperactive sympathetic nervous system' is responsible for the HH (that I find too simplistic but whatever).

There is also this study Impaired left ventricular filling in patien... [Tohoku J Exp Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI that kinda hints to what may be going on.

Anyway, glad you found this site but unfortunately we still can't exactly say what you need to do to get rid off the HH :mad:

karl:-/

Hi mate, all I read in your post has just put me back in time :-/ I'm 26 in July and a couple of yrs ago I was you. I had ETS done on both sides now its back worse thn ever.. gravity don't help some days looks like I've had an accident. My anxiety about my HH is gettin worse so I'm kinda hoping to meet people such as your self, don't know wot I'm expecting but it can't hurt to be as society my say with your own kind that's how bad it affects me I'm same height as you probs tiny bit heavier. Any way your not alone anymore :)

chloe909

I'm already feeling bad for what I'm about to share.. but what the hell, we're all in this together so I have no shame anymore..

Has anyone here ever tried smoking weed?

Because I have. I still do. Occasionally. And I'm not one to promote something like this, but I just wanna share what I realized happens to me when I'm on it. Apart from the fact that I simply do enjoy toking out once in awhile in, I also realized that whenever I smoke out, my HH goes away. Like completely. And that might be one of the driving forces why I still continue to blaze once in awhile.

SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE about this subject matter.