Why You Should Avoid Social Isolation

Jay Cataldo

Found this little blurb online and wanted to share it. I'm sure it's old information that you guys have heard 1,000 times already but it's something that should never be forgotten.

Why You Should Avoid Social Isolation

The cost of social isolation may be higher than we think. Studies show that the fewer human connections we have at home, at work, and in the community, the more likely we are to get sick, flood our brains with anxiety-causing chemicals, and die prematurely.

One study in Sweden showed that those who frequented cultural events such as concerts, museum exhibits, and even ball games tended to live longer than their stay-at-home peers. The key factors could be increased social contact and reduced stress. Other studies have found that people who are isolated may live only half as long as those who have a lot of human contact. Love seems to be an immune system nutrient.

The good news is that these same studies also show that the more human connections we have, the more likely we are to live longer and healthier. Connectedness is the unacknowledged key to emotional and physical health. The more ties you have, the more likely you are to stay well in the first place. Researchers who monitored 276 people between the ages of 18 and 55 found that those who had six or more connections were four times better at fighting off the viruses that cause colds.

SilentType

Banned
I'm with Chod77.

And as for the immune system studies... I may be an exception, but I've had panic disorder and agoraphobia for the past several years, hardly leaving the house except to go to the doc and other things I must do. I have very few people in my life. However, contrary to the study, I've been sick maybe once or twice in the past 4-5 years, with nothing worse than a cold.

Peace

Havocan

I tend to get depressed and feel lonely if I isolate myself, hence the reason why I face my social fears and try to do something in my spare time every day. Might be tiring sometimes, but it makes me less moody^^.

enmascarado

New research has revealed that dog owners are happier, healthier and likely to live longer. Whilst it has been established for some time that pet ownership makes people happier, it has now been shown that the benefits of owning a dog outstrip those of cat or any other animal.

A psychologist from Queen's University, Belfast, said dog owners tended to have lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

In some cases, the research even ventured as far to suggest the social support offered by an animal is greater than the support that another human could offer.

She confirmed that pet owners tended in general to be healthier than the average member of the population.

As well as lower blood and cholesterol levels, dog-owners suffered fewer minor ailments and serious medical problems than owners of other pets such as cats.

It has been believed for some time that dogs can assist people in recovery from serious illnesses such as heart attacks, and act as 'early warning' to detect an approaching epileptic seizure. This research adds further strength to the claim.

Problem solved.

j_brown2

Banned
I heard and read that being lonely or loosing some important through death can cause you to get cancer.

Socializing is important

Researchers who monitored 276 people between the ages of 18 and 55 found that those who had six or more connections were four times better at fighting off the viruses that cause colds.

I don't even want six connections. That would be too much for me to handle.

Kamen

There have been similar researches before. I don't fully believe them nor think they are irrelevant. The results are at best questionable to me.

What I think the researchers might have missed is the psychological profile, especially things such as introversion & extroversion. Why? Because all this takes part in defining how different conditions and states affect people which has relation to happiness and sadness which has relation to health.