Why bother trying?

ThePunisher

I'm coming to the realization that I feel worse when I actively try to initiate something with a girl I'm interested in since the interest never seems to be mutual. So what's the point of trying?

Heya combat, been a while since I spoke to you.

I know that feeling mate :(

From experience I come to realise something is that you can't get along with everyone.

What I do is that I talk to everyone and see how many people respond back and want to talk to me. The one's that do, I try and get to know them and become friends with them.

The one's that don't I just forget about them, maybe we might become friends later on who knows, but I focus on the people that actually are interested in me.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I get the feeling that one of the reason's you are interested in her is cause she's good looking.

This is gonna sound harsh but, mate forget about how she looks, isn't personality more important, I mean don't you want a girl who likes you for who you are and someone you can be yourself around without feeling awkward?

Well that's my 2 cents on this.....

klytus

This is gonna sound harsh but, mate forget about how she looks, isn't personality more important, I mean don't you want a girl who likes you for who you are and someone you can be yourself around without feeling awkward?
Well, I definitely want to feel sexually attracted to the girl, and that only works if I find her body attractive. It's not that I only go after supermodel-type women. There are plenty of very attractive girls out there. Almost all of them my age are sufficiently attractive - at least where I live.

Personality is important, yes, but I can't do anything with a girl about whom I can't have sexual thoughts, because of her lack of good looks. And that means that I can't have a relationship with her. So, personality is more important than looks when it comes to having a long-lasting relationship, but it will never get to the point of being a relationship at all, without sufficient looks in the first place.

ThePunisher

Well, I definitely want to feel sexually attracted to the girl, and that only works if I find her body attractive. It's not that I only go after supermodel-type women. There are plenty of very attractive girls out there. Almost all of them my age are sufficiently attractive - at least where I live.

Personality is important, yes, but I can't do anything with a girl about whom I can't have sexual thoughts, because of her lack of good looks. And that means that I can't have a relationship with her. So, personality is more important than looks when it comes to having a long-lasting relationship, but it will never get to the point of being a relationship at all, without sufficient looks in the first place.

Well that's your opinion and preference, nothing wrong with that though :)

But for me sometimes I just hate following so called "society standards" like how guys have to get a hot/decent looking girl or they'll be ridiculed. Like I question that.

Everyone has there own personal preference.

I admit I would prefer if the girl was sexually attractive, must be a guy thing I think and that I'm perverted too XD

But for me I want to just like a girl cause of there personality. It's hard though, cause subconsciously I prefer good looks too and that I'm scared that people might continuously stare at me and make fun of me if i don't get a decent looking girl.

But I'm trying to find ways to not let that bother me.

klytus

Well that's your opinion and preference, nothing wrong with that though :)

But for me sometimes I just hate following so called "society standards" like how guys have to get a hot/decent looking girl or they'll be ridiculed. Like I question that.

Everyone has there own personal preference.

I admit I would prefer if the girl was sexually attractive, must be a guy thing I think and that I'm perverted too XD

But for me I want to just like a girl cause of there personality. It's hard though, cause subconsciously I prefer good looks too and that I'm scared that people might continuously stare at me and make fun of me if i don't get a decent looking girl.

But I'm trying to find ways to not let that bother me.

I couldn't care less what society thinks - I don't follow society's standards. I want to feel attracted to my girlfriend, and an integral part of romantic attraction is looks. I don't have to get a hot girl. I don't even have to get a girl at all. Nobody actually cares. I -want- a decent looking girl, because that's what I find sexy. I think it's hot to be hot and intelligent, and have a great personality. So, a girl who is just intelligent or has a great personality just doesn't make me want her, because there's an important component missing. Looks.

Nobody cares who you are with. What you think society thinks should never be a reason to do or not to do something.

combat

Tell me if I'm wrong but I get the feeling that one of the reason's you are interested in her is cause she's good looking.

Yes, that's one reason but it's not the only or most important reason.

I still think she has a great personality and I still feel pretty comfortable around her actually. She responded well to the attention and flirting I was giving her but apparently she isn't willing to move beyond any of that (which I was trying to do at her own suggestion of spending a day hanging out, so I am utterly confused as to why she is ducking the whole thing now).

Perhaps she's just a flirt and nothing more. So it goes, I guess, what the hell can I do. It's just very frustrating and tiresome because it makes me feel like I was just being f***ed with the whole time for her own benefit (enjoying the attention but giving little to none in return). Or maybe she isn't used to having to ever initiate anything in return because she gets so much attention all the time... but I don't really see how a guy like me can compete in that environment, so I am unsure if there's a point in continuing trying it.

Last edited:
U

userremoved

A lot of times I feel that our not being able to carry on a relationship is natures cruel way of weeding us out of the gene pool. I don't mean to be overly negative today but that's just how I feel right now. ::(:

klytus

A lot of times I feel that our not being able to carry on a relationship is natures cruel way of weeding us out of the gene pool. I don't mean to be overly negative today but that's just how I feel right now. ::(:

Most of the time it's partly "us", but I must admit that there are plenty of women out there who behave in ways beyond stupidity, very much to their misfortune. It's not always "our" fault, that a relationship doesn't develop.

Lea

Banned

Don't worry, this world is sickly overpopulated. We will do a good deed at least :).

combat

And just when I'm ready to throw in the towel she calls my phone... looks like we're on for the weekend... lol wow I am truly an idiot sometimes. ::eek::

combat

Probably yes, for participating in this game. I just hope that she's not playing you.

I don't mind the "game" as long as I'm getting some kind of positive response and affection in return. She could have called a dozen different people to ask the question that she asked me when she called but she chose me. And after a little small talk asked how my schedule was looking for the weekend. We've never talked on the phone outside work before.

I figure maybe she's just as nervous about all this as I am. She seems shy in this regard. I'm not getting the feeling that I'm being played. Possible but highly unlikely.

this_portrait

I've given up myself, because every time I think I'm going to be satisfied, I just end up disappointed. I hate the way dating makes me feel, anyway. I can't even fantasize anymore without feeling like sh*t afterward, so I've stopped and just focus my attention on other, more important aspects of my life.

combat

if you stop trying, i will get angry at you!!!

Lol :). Don't worry I'm gonna keep at it with this one. I'm just terribly insecure and have trouble with the idea that she might actually like me, even just a little, so I interpret any possibly negative sign as an affirmation of my insecurity. If that makes any sense.

klytus

I've given up myself, because every time I think I'm going to be satisfied, I just end up disappointed. I hate the way dating makes me feel, anyway. I can't even fantasize anymore without feeling like sh*t afterward, so I've stopped and just focus my attention on other, more important aspects of my life.

This is the best possible approach to life, if you want to eventually get something of lasting value or use. Should something along the way develop with someone, it's luck. If it doesn't happen, you had at least spent enough time with things you personally found enjoyable, or worth the effort.