• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I plan on going to therapy

• Total voters
Hello all,

Most people here need to be therapy and I'm pretty sure quite a lot of people aren't. So I've put up a poll to see the numbers, please enter it.

If you're not in therapy, tell us why you're not going to it.

If you're in therapy, tell us how it's helped.

Thanks

Reholla

I am going to therapy, but not for SA.

My first ppointment with my therapist, was just to get to know each other. He asked me the usuall questions and other ones like, "what music do you like?"

He also said, "if you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be??"

And i said, "to be more outgoing"

He responded, "so youre shy.... well you are genuine. Most people who are outgoing are phony, i wouldnt want to be that."

I thought, this may REALLY help.

So even though i am not going to him for SA, he understands my personality and its very helpful..

I really do like him as a person, but he can kind of be a prick. He's not arrogant, hes not an a hole, or anything else, just a prick really describes it.

He's only been that way lately because i have had life trauma after trauma and i think hes sick of hearing about all my problems. Iemailed him prior to our last appt. to say it may take longer than an hour.
So he was really understanding and said, "you dont think this is any of your falut DO YOU?!" and i said, of course not... and we just kept talking more, and i could since the conversation turning, and he says, "WELL YOURE GONNA HAVE MORE TRAUMAS!!!''
Its like he REALLY shouldnt say such blankit statements like that, coming from him its like the end all be all.. and he didnt even explain himself. If he said i will have more traumas becuse that is part of life, that would be fine. Yeah, that is the right perspective. But if he meant YOU PERSONALLY are just prone to be in all these trmatic situations... that is so wrong of him to say.

I am only going to him a few more times, before all these other probelems came up we talked about only having a few more appts anyways.

But i really do recommend going to some one... even though lately mine hasnt been very... well, supportive... over the months it has served me well, and i look forward to go to him and talking to him about whatever is going on. Its like some one will always listen and give you advice. That is a good feeling. If you want to progress in your SA, i think therapy would be very helpful

Reaching-Zen

I ticked planning on therapy because I am only now starting to really look into my problem, and doing something about it.

I should of researched it years ago, and have some good info on it, but oh well, better late than never. I plan on going to a hypnotherapist one day, not a psychologist or psychiatrist.

To Reholla, therapists are renowned for ''pushing your buttons''. Its a tool of the trade where they make you upset, angry or whatever to test your emotions, personality, patience, fears, etc. They then use this info to help you gradually. They can sometimes say the opposite of what you want to hear to work out your mind or reduce your stress/fears etc. Maybe he is a prick, or maybe he's pushing your buttons.

Reholla

Reaching-Zen said:
I ticked planning on therapy because I am only now starting to really look into my problem, and doing something about it.

I should of researched it years ago, and have some good info on it, but oh well, better late than never. I plan on going to a hypnotherapist one day, not a psychologist or psychiatrist.

To Reholla, therapists are renowned for ''pushing your buttons''. Its a tool of the trade where they make you upset, angry or whatever to test your emotions, personality, patience, fears, etc. They then use this info to help you gradually. They can sometimes say the opposite of what you want to hear to work out your mind or reduce your stress/fears etc. Maybe he is a prick, or maybe he's pushing your buttons.

wow i am really glad you said that. because i have 2 friends who we have bth openly told we are seeing a therapist. And none have them mentioned that- i certainly would have never thought of that.

this has to be the ONLY reason for him to do this, and it makes sense, he is really smart. but its just that when i would tell him things and irrational insults my sister told me he said, "dont you think she is just saying those things to get a reaction out of you??"

so i would have never guessed he would do the very same. but i think he meant some people like to see other people suffer. and i know he is not like that, so if he IS doing this to get a reaction from me, i would be inclined to think he is trying to help.

its just annoying because stuff he says, im like HELLOO you are preaching to the choir here. he knows i feel that same way yet hes giving me so called advice and acting like he thought of it first.. hes only done this that one time. it still annoys me tho.

oh well.

but thanks for pointing out that perspective-- its always good to see a different side to things..

lyricalliaisons

I think that therapy is very helpful for people. I've met a lot of people online with SA, who it has helped. But for me, it hasn't. The place I go to for help doesn't have any kind of therapy for people with SA at all. I've heard from some that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy works, but I can't get that. I don't have any health insurance, so I have to go to the one place that accepts people without health insurance. It's a great place, definitely, & has helped a lot, medication-wise, with the depression I used to suffer, but it doesn't give any options for forms of therapy, etc. The place I go to only has "therapy" that you go to & discuss the trivial stuff that goes on in your everyday life. It doesn't address anything to do with my SA or help me figure out ways to solve or change anything. I've actually found much more help online from SA sites than I have from therapy. All it does is make me anxious.