Who else sufffers from heat sensitivity?

Cato

I'm just wondering who else with hyperhidrosis suffers from heat sensitivity. Do you find that you feel warm at temperatures others find nice or at least tolerable? Do you find that you are able to handle the cold better? I'm curious what percentage of us share this trait.

Angel_Of_Death

I developed HH just recently, although I've been suffering from SA for most of my life. It actually started last summer, I was very sensitive to heat as you described, and would start sweating heavily mainly on the chest, stomach and the lower back. Anxiety situations automatically initiated the sweating aswell, and sometimes when I had excessive sweating, I would sweat from the head and the forehead.

When summer ended and winter came in. HH is gone 95%. I don't experience sweating because of temperature. The only time I experience sweating is if I'm feeling highly anxious, but not as much and also a little sweating when I drink coffee. I've almost stopped drinking coffee completely.

But to answer your question, with winter and cooler weather it did make a significant difference in my HH, so much that I don't worry about it like I used to during summer.

But I'm still wondering, why exactly all of sudden I started experiencing HH for the 1st time in my life at age 24....what could have triggered it ?

tbanner523

I definitely have problems with heat sensitivity. I have had palmar HH since I was 13 (I am now 31). About 6 years ago I started sweating on other parts of my body as well. Now I have full-blown generalized HH, and I am completely intolerant of the heat. I used to enjoy summers, now I hate them. It's really a drag because I become a recluse during the warmer months; I sit inside our air conditioned house all day (but still manage to sweat!). This disorder totally sucks :(

Cato

Hi AOD,

It's interesting to me that you've had social anxiety but only recently developed HH. I was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression about, oh, 17 years ago. Though in hindsight, I believe my psychological problems were a result of the horrible HH, along with an awful case of cystic acne. Back then, I think it was much more common to diagnose someone as having HH BECAUSE of SA, and not vise versa. But since you had SA well before HH, that model doesn't seem to fit you.

I also sweat much less when it's cold. I find that if I keep the inside temperature below 72 that I can keep the sweating at bay pretty well. As long as I'm not doing anything very active or stressed out. For instance, it's 67 in here now and I'm not sweating at all. Though I can tell my forehead WANTS to sweat. What I'm most interested is how you FEEL at temperatures others find " normal " regardless of the sweating. For instance, I was in a store the other day and noticed it was 76 in there. I seemed to be the only one around that felt uncomfortably warm. Generally, I feel uncomfortably warm at temperatures most people find very normal. I've had this since I've had HH, so my whole life. =P

Cato

tbanner523 said:
I definitely have problems with heat sensitivity. I have had palmar HH since I was 13 (I am now 31). About 6 years ago I started sweating on other parts of my body as well. Now I have full-blown generalized HH, and I am completely intolerant of the heat. I used to enjoy summers, now I hate them. It's really a drag because I become a recluse during the warmer months; I sit inside our air conditioned house all day (but still manage to sweat!). This disorder totally sucks :(

Oh yeah? I'm also 31 and developed HH around 12 or so. Though I wonder if I had it earlier but it just wasn't something a little kid thought about? Unfortunately, I started off with general HH, though it was more focused in the palms when I was younger. Though I can still remember an incident in 6th grade where I had my new Michael Jordan sweat pants on. I was sitting in class, went to get up to go to the bathroom, and kids started laughing because they thought I peed my pants! My ass was that wet. Now, my HH has also become more general as I've aged.

I am the same way in the warmer months. I'll still go out and do things, but I am a sweaty mess! I definitely can't go anywhere that I have to dress nice for. But I just generally feel awful. I figure I feel at 82 the way most people feel at 92. And at 92 the same as others feel at 102. Though either way I sweat more. =P

An interesting side note for me: My HH was MUCH less severe from ages 16-21. Then it kicked back into high gear. I truly don't know if I was doing anything different or if it was just a uncontrollable body change.

Luna222

As soon as it gets over 20 C I get uncomfortable and start to sweat, and anything over 30 then I'm a total mess, whilst others around me are hardly sweating, if that. It ruins the nice weather for me.

JP81

Angel_Of_Death said:
I developed HH just recently, although I've been suffering from SA for most of my life. It actually started last summer, I was very sensitive to heat as you described, and would start sweating heavily mainly on the chest, stomach and the lower back. Anxiety situations automatically initiated the sweating aswell, and sometimes when I had excessive sweating, I would sweat from the head and the forehead.

When summer ended and winter came in. HH is gone 95%. I don't experience sweating because of temperature. The only time I experience sweating is if I'm feeling highly anxious, but not as much and also a little sweating when I drink coffee. I've almost stopped drinking coffee completely.

But to answer your question, with winter and cooler weather it did make a significant difference in my HH, so much that I don't worry about it like I used to during summer.

But I'm still wondering, why exactly all of sudden I started experiencing HH for the 1st time in my life at age 24....what could have triggered it ?

This sounds exactly like me and I probably noticed HH around the same time 23-24. I'm 27 now.

tbanner523

The worse thing about generalized HH and heat intolerance, is there seems to be very little that can be done about it. At least when I just had palmar HH I could control it with iontophoresis. I have tried numerous medications, but nothing has worked.

JP81

tbanner523 said:
The worse thing about generalized HH and heat intolerance, is there seems to be very little that can be done about it. At least when I just had palmar HH I could control it with iontophoresis. I have tried numerous medications, but nothing has worked.

The only thing that works for me (so far) is the oral glycopyrrolate.

The wipes also work, but aren't quite as trustworthy and don't stop cranial HH.

tbanner523

tried glycopyrrolate for a while. Initially it stopped the sweating, but as time went on, I started to overheat while taking it (especially in the summer)...I would get red and dizzy, presumably because I could no longer sweat. Eventually, I started sweating through the glycopyrrolate, and it pretty much stopped working, regardless of the dose.

2Crowded

I dont think I have what you all are describing but if im somewhere that happens to have a heat vent blowing directly at me I become real uncomfortable if its in a public setting more so than normal of course (as im uncomfortable already anyway most times)...its like it gives my face the sensation of being embarassed or possibly turning red, even if Im not at the moment...which in turn can trigger embarassment & or anxiety to happen more so than it normaly would for me.