What's the perfect job for a social phobic?

Butterflies

Hi I'm a Virtual Assistance. Just wanted to know what others are doing... It's so hard to get ahead when you find it difficult to speak out.

ooSOULCRYoo

hello Butterflies! rather than a home based job, maybe it would be better to get out there. Mmm.. maybe like a small office job where you dont have to deal with alot of ppl. well, I used to work at a dental tech lab, where I worked with 5 other ppl. It wasnt so bad.

4seasons

I'm a cashier in a major grocery store. I thought it was going to be hell but it's defiantly helping with my anxiety.

4seasons

Butterflies said:
Getting out there is a good idea and
Cashier in a grocery store - that's amazing - how has it helped?
It didn't help to much in starting a conversation or approaching someone. But it did help me in being around a group of people without felling awkward, it also helped with small talk or asking someone about something, and it also helped get over my eye contact fear. I can now look at someone in the eyes while I'm talking to them. It didn't help with the worse but it's a step towards recovery. I was talking to a family member on the phone a couple days ago and he was surprised that i was actually having a real conversation with him, i didn't even notice until he mentioned it.

Butterflies

4seasons said:
Butterflies said:
It didn't help to much in starting a conversation or approaching someone. But it did help me in being around a group of people without felling awkward, it also helped with small talk or asking someone about something, and it also helped get over my eye contact fear. I can now look at someone in the eyes while I'm talking to them. It didn't help with the worse but it's a step towards recovery. I was talking to a family member on the phone a couple days ago and he was surprised that i was actually having a real conversation with him, i didn't even notice until he mentioned it.

Are you doing other therapy as well? Or has just "getting out there" really made a difference. I ask because sometimes the more I did something that made me nervous - the worse it got!

Foxglove

I wouldn't mind being a shepherd (the person, not the dog :wink: ). Other good jobs I could imagine doing are forest ranger, animal caretaker, farmer. . . anything outdoors having to do with animals. That would be awesome.

4seasons

Butterflies said:
4seasons said:
Butterflies said:

Are you doing other therapy as well? Or has just "getting out there" really made a difference. I ask because sometimes the more I did something that made me nervous - the worse it got!
Nah, I'm not in therapy. But i did see a therapist once and he told me that the only way to get over anxiety(not including meds) is to "get out there" but in small steps. In the first couple weeks i worked there though i dread it every day and i would come home everyday saying I'm going quit. But i knew it would be a mistake and it would be just letting my SA win, so i kept at it and each day started to get to get a little better and no i just don't care about going. It's all about self discipline and making yourself do something, thats it, thats how to get over this (my opinion anyway).

Butterflies

4seasons said:
Nah, I'm not in therapy. But i did see a therapist once and he told me that the only way to get over anxiety(not including meds) is to "get out there" but in small steps. In the first couple weeks i worked there though i dread it every day and i would come home everyday saying I'm going quit. But i knew it would be a mistake and it would be just letting my SA win, so i kept at it and each day started to get to get a little better and no i just don't care about going. It's all about self discipline and making yourself do something, thats it, thats how to get over this (my opinion anyway).

Ok - so it was really hard at first. You must be a winner to keep going with it. I remember before I started working for myself. I decided to "temp" for a while to see what I liked. I was working on HR projects so dealing with people ... ALOT. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. Everyday I faked confidence, suffered with migrains and vommitting due to extreme nervousness. On some assignments I'd have to go home early - I was so embarrassed - noone knew what I was suffering. It must have taken me about 3 months to get over the migraines and sickness. I did feel good for doing it though and it really helped me get to know people which helped my career. Though I'm working from home - I like it. I still get interaction but not too much so I can manage the anxiety. By managing it I actually cope with social situations much better now.

Butterflies

Foxglove said:
I wouldn't mind being a shepherd (the person, not the dog :wink: ). Other good jobs I could imagine doing are forest ranger, animal caretaker, farmer. . . anything outdoors having to do with animals. That would be awesome.

Yeah - would be awesome. What do you do now?

Foxglove

I'm just a boring old housewife and mother. Boring isn't my opinion, but it seems to be the general opinion society has of housewives. I used to be a secretary when I lived in the States.

manaleto

A kindergarden teacher, but without having to deal with the parents, boss and colleagues!!! Only children can see the real, funny me! :D

(Sorry if my English aren't good enough. I 'm posting from Greece)

Butterflies

Foxglove said:
I'm just a boring old housewife and mother. Boring isn't my opinion, but it seems to be the general opinion society has of housewives. I used to be a secretary when I lived in the States.

So you're a function co-ordinator, project manager, dieticion, chef, delivery driver, fashion consultant, counsellor, nurse, financial controller, mistress, general manager ... the list goes on.

I worked for a women once who said never underestimate the skills mothers have - she used to encourage mothers to include their skills in their resume because the skills could cross over to other areas.

I am not a mother but I respect the role they play in society - the most important role! The fact that you choose to care for your children in something to be celebrated.

blackcap

I'm a software developer, which is probably one of the best jobs for someone with SA. 99% of the time I'm in front of my computer and don't have to talk to people too much, but just enough to retain some sort of human contact!

Foxglove

Butterflies said:
Foxglove said:

So you're a function co-ordinator, project manager, dieticion, chef, delivery driver, fashion consultant, counsellor, nurse, financial controller, mistress, general manager ... the list goes on.

I worked for a women once who said never underestimate the skills mothers have - she used to encourage mothers to include their skills in their resume because the skills could cross over to other areas.

I am not a mother but I respect the role they play in society - the most important role! The fact that you choose to care for your children in something to be celebrated.

Thanks for the kind words :D !

Butterflies

blackcap said:
I'm a software developer, which is probably one of the best jobs for someone with SA. 99% of the time I'm in front of my computer and don't have to talk to people too much, but just enough to retain some sort of human contact!

Hi Blackcap - would have taken heaps of courage getting your qualifications though!

Do you work from home or in the office.

Butterflies

manaleto said:
A kindergarden teacher, but without having to deal with the parents, boss and colleagues!!! Only children can see the real, funny me! :D

(Sorry if my English aren't good enough. I 'm posting from Greece)

Greece hey! I spent 3 days in Athens a few years ago. The people were so friendly and the food YUMmmmmm!

I didn't make it to the islands - that will be next time.