What's the difference between shyness and social phobia?

bulldog21083

It's a good question, pretty much everyone has a different opinion. I used to think I was just really shy. Then for a while I thought I might have a mild social phobia, but now I'm back to thinking I'm just shy. From what I've seen posted on this website, most people feel that whenever you're in a social situation you get physical symptoms if you have a social phobia (like a racing heart beat, sweaty hands, unable to make eye contact, etc). I think that if you are just shy you may not be very talkative, but you don't really have any physical symptoms.

I'm 25 years old. I think my problem has gotten worse with age, but it's probably a little better now than it was a few years ago. I know when I was really little I would always talk to people while I stared at the ground. That was when I was real little though and I stopped that habbit fairly quickly. If I'm with one of my closest friends or with my family, I don't think I'm shy at all. I'm a little quiet around people I kind of know, but my main problem is when I'm around a group of people I don't know. I don't really get any physical symptoms, I'm just a little mentaly uncomfortable. Basically I just get really self-conscious.

Marti2

I had social phobia, but it has gone ;).

Still I have problem with look into eyes but this is detal.

There is one way to defeat Social fobia: beat the fear.
It's hard, but this is the best way.

PS: Soryy for my English :)

worrywort

I've always prefered the term "social anxiety disorder" rather than "social phobia" or "shyness", because when I think of shy people, I imagine a timid nature. But often I find in certain situations that I happen to be comfortable in, I'm not timid at all. Even social situations, when I have something to say, I can say it fairly firmly.....And "social phobia" makes me think of other phobias, like heights or spiders or ghosts. It implies some kind of terror, whereas what I more accurately feel is confusion and sadness and worry and condemnation....and I think the term "social anxiety disorder" most accurately captures this feeling.

TooShyShy

I agree, when it keeps you from enjoying your life; making friends, having a boy/girlfriend--emotional/physical contact, keeping a job, etc. any or all of those then its a phobia.

Ehsan

when your shyness is so severe that destroys your social function this is "social phobia".

I think shyness and social anxiety are the same.

Shyness is merely a term used for children and preteens. Once a person nears their early adult years, the term shyness will take on a whole other meaning.

During social development, a person's shyness is expected fade away around their late teen years. If the shyness persists well into adulthood then the individual might be viewed as not being fully matured/developed and that will cause problems in the long run.

If a kid is viewed as being shy, its not a big deal......however if an adult is viewed as being shy, it becomes more of a serious matter.

Our culture plays a big role in judging what is acceptable and what is not. Mentioning to someone that your 45 yr old male friend is very shy would definitely put a negative stain on that friend however when it comes to children and even women it is more understandable and accepted/viewed in a neutral. light.

Ultimately, I think men have it worse than women when it comes to our society being in acceptance for shyness. Shy men probably get the worst rap.

lettypagb

if youre a shy person you need to be outgoing.

if youre a social phobic , you need meds , doctors, clinics, clothes ,new eyes , new voice , new birds, new parents , new computer , a new life.

Klaus

lettypagb said:
if youre a shy person you need to be outgoing.

if youre a social phobic , you need meds , doctors, clinics, clothes ,new eyes , new voice , new birds, new parents , new computer , a new life.

"And guns. Lots of guns!"
Matrix quote