What to say?

Hello all,

My name is Matt, I'm 22 from Tennessee and I've got SA, depression and quite possibly some AvPD. Without making this introduction too long, I'd like to give a little history about myself.

I grew up as the "chubby kid" so as you can imagine there was quite a bit of ridicule from an early age. I've struggled with SA since I was at least 5 but back then I was just "shy." High school felt like a prison and I didn't have a whole lot of friends. I felt like I kind of got over my SA when I was probably a junior in high school but after I graduated (and want through a series of psychologically crippling events within a 3 month span) I was back to dealing with the same old stuff. Now I'm 22, live alone, work at a job that I hate and where I get very few opportunities for any kind of social interaction even if I was able to interact with people. I have a very small, tight knit, group of friends who I probably couldn't live without. I still try to hide my SA and depression from my friends and family, mostly because of the social stigma that's still attached to any kind of psychological disorder. Thankfully I'm clean and sober now (I used to be a pill popper and borderline alcoholic a few years ago). I'd just really like to get past my SA and depression.

Wow, this ended up being really long. Sorry guys haha.

Don't worry about length, it's fine. No need to apologize, nothing is wrong. Though I tend to do that a lot. Sorry, not about me here. You are making an introduction.

How's the weather?

staticreflex

I still try to hide my SA and depression from my friends and family, mostly because of the social stigma that's still attached to any kind of psychological disorder. Thankfully I'm clean and sober now (I used to be a pill popper and borderline alcoholic a few years ago). I'd just really like to get past my SA and depression.

Congradulations on overcoming alcohol, i've been there too. The "stigma" associated with psychological disorders is usually propogated by insecure people who have problems in their life they dont' want to admit. Many famous and successful people froma wide range of careers have psychological disorders ie kay jamison = psycholgist and sarah silverman = comedian who are both bipolar, i think theirs a thread on here about celebrities with SA. The point being lots of other people have the same thing so its nothing to be ashamed of, if other people try to make you ashamed of it tactfully ignore them and find more supportive people in your life. And welcome!

Congradulations on overcoming alcohol, i've been there too. The "stigma" associated with psychological disorders is usually propogated by insecure people who have problems in their life they dont' want to admit. Many famous and successful people froma wide range of careers have psychological disorders ie kay jamison = psycholgist and sarah silverman = comedian who are both bipolar, i think theirs a thread on here about celebrities with SA. The point being lots of other people have the same thing so its nothing to be ashamed of, if other people try to make you ashamed of it tactfully ignore them and find more supportive people in your life. And welcome!

Couldn't have phrased it better myself. I know, I'm already posted on here.

lilmutegirl

Welcome! Congrats on getting sober. That's a big accomplishment! :) I hope we can help you cope with your SA.