What should I say on the phone for an extension?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Hi, so I just got a call about a job, and I have to call them back and am a little unsure about one part of the call (I had the phone in my hand and should have just picked up but that's besides the point).

So she called and left the message and said to call her back, and that her extension was this. What am I supposed to do for this? I don't think I dial the numbers, so I assume I have to tell the person who picks up the phone the number? I mean I almost never make phone calls and knowing what to say at the beginning would put me at a little more ease.

So let's say her name is Rene, and extension 325, what would I say when someone on the other end picks up the phone? I know I should say my name, who I'm contacting, what my business is (reviewing my application), and the extension number but am not sure how to word it. Or should I say something else? "Hi I'm empty I'm calling for Rene at extension 325 to talk about my application," would that work, or is that strange to say or should I word it differently?

Rembrandt Broam

So let's say her name is Rene, and extension 325, what would I say when someone on the other end picks up the phone? I know I should say my name, who I'm contacting, what my business is (reviewing my application), and the extension number but am not sure how to word it. Or should I say something else? "Hi I'm empty I'm calling for Rene at extension 325 to talk about my application," would that work, or is that strange to say or should I word it differently?

"Hi, can I speak to Rene on extension 325 please?"
"Can I ask who's calling?"
"Yes, it's Empty. I'm returning her call."

Well that's what I'd do...after spending an hour or two standing there with the phone in my hand, try to actually force myself to dial the number. :rolleyes:

"Hi [person that answers] My name is Empty Shell, can you put me in contact with Rene at Ext. 325? I'm returning her phone call regarding an application I submitted to her"

coyote

it may be an automated system that answers

it should prompt you for the extension

on most systems you can simply dial the extension as soon as the auto-answer picks up and you hear the recorded voice

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Thanks guys, coyote was correct it was an automated system, but if it wasn't I would've been ready for it :):cool: