What makes your SA worse?

Ever notice how strange or little things make a huge difference with how bad your SA is?

For me, going out in public during the day is 1000 times harder than at night..I think I feel more comfortable because people really just can't see me as well...lol And sunny days are way worse for me than overcast ones...I only have had panic attacks on sunny days.

Also, I have no trouble talking to my boss for the most part unless we're sitting across a table from one another...it's like too confrontational or something.

There are certain streets I won't walk down for no actual reason, they just randomly make me more anxious...I have to walk home the same exact way every time even if it's not the most direct route. It's like my SA has made me a little OCD...

Yeah I know what you mean. My SA is 10 times worse if it is a rainy day. Especially if it is raining so hard that I have to use an umbrella.
I also feel that I have to take the same route home or to the shops because if I don't, I worry that if I had a car accident while taking the different way, I would be kicking myself for not taking the usual way!

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Any situation I'm not familiar with can make things worse... I always choose not to go to certain places or get involved with certain people because the fear is too much. I have the same routine every day.

Lorraine Manca

i do that too! i take the same route no matter what, even if i figure out a shorter one later. i do that with both driving and walking. when im walking, if someone asks about it, i try to explain i take the longer route for exercise, even though its not true! its neat to see other folks do it too. my sa gets worse according to how close a person is standing near me and how small the room is, if that makes sense.
what about this one, does anyone pretend to not want to cross the street until a car passes, so you dont have to have them waiting and watching you cross?

what about this one, does anyone pretend to not want to cross the street until a car passes, so you dont have to have them waiting and watching you cross?

OMG YES! I always do that...I try to be all slealth about it lol I've gotten to the point where I can't park my car on this certain aves because of that. I completely avoid crossing at crosswalks when there's just a stop sign because I can never tell if they're letting me cross or not and I freak out about it...strange but true. I just hate crossing the damn street period. ::eek::

Lorraine Manca

OMG YES! I always do that...I try to be all slealth about it lol I've gotten to the point where I can't park my car on this certain aves because of that. I completely avoid crossing at crosswalks when there's just a stop sign because I can never tell if they're letting me cross or not and I freak out about it...strange but true. I just hate crossing the damn street period. ::eek::

Awesome!! whoa thats crazy someone else does it! i cant tell either! i nearly got hit because of it too. so simple.. and yet still i screw it up. i avoid crossing at all t shaped roads if that makes sense. those are particularly challenging!

Haha yeah Lorraine, me too. I've noticed that I keep thinking to myself, why is it that I can't seem to understand or react the way that everyone else does?? It's like i've over-analyzed it so much I don't even know HOW to cross the street anymore lol...

Lately I keep thinking I'm walking funny, though I'm 90% sure I'm not in reality. It's only when I'm walking alone in public, especially when I feel "exposed" and out in the open...and I wear heels to work everyday....which only complicates things lol I feel more like everyone is staring at me when i'm wearing heels or whenever I "look nice", which is probably why going to work is such a nightmare.

Lorraine Manca

Haha yeah Lorraine, me too. I've noticed that I keep thinking to myself, why is it that I can't seem to understand or react the way that everyone else does?? It's like i've over-analyzed it so much I don't even know HOW to cross the street anymore lol...

oh yeah! ive had that exact same thought. this is what i figure. pedestrians do get hit every year, so apparently we're not the only ones! even if it feels like it sometimes. cheerful, hunh?
i feel self conscious in high heels too, i cant wear them! flats for me or ill end up with a flat face instead.

Yeah I hate high heels too! They often make a loud clunking sound on the pavement and it makes people look where the clunking sound is coming from when you walk by. Thus drawing people to look at you:(