What is Your Major? Is it proving therapeutic for your anxiety, and if so, how?

Anubis

Might be true for you, but I am very happy with my scientific subject. Just like most others with a technical subject who have responded to this thread.

The reason why there may be -some- people in technical fields who are not satisfied with it, is that most people appear to begin their studies with insufficient knowledge about the field they choose. Many of them simply aren't aware of the complexity they will have to deal with. And those people usually drop out relatively fast.

This is true for me at least. I pretty much failed out grad classes last year because I was just overwhelmed with everything. And a huge reason was because my undergrad studying habits were horrible. I would basically wait until the last day to study and then only memorize a few mnemonic devices coupled with a few old tests as preparation. It was stressful and very superficial, but the sad thing is that it worked. Rarely got C's. Which goes to show you how they spoon feed you throughout undergrad (not including the upper-math courses, but even those can be abused. I had old tests for my calculus courses and I just memorized the questions without understanding the science and still passed, lol).

Anyway, I took a year off, totally changed my study habits from the ground-up. And now I'm thriving. I also love my subject a lot more now (which is saying something because I seriously considered leaving it a year ago).

Last edited:

awkwardturtle

I started off in college as an Elementary Education major but I couldn't handle all the group work/presentations/forced participation so I would skip classes all the time until my GPA was below the minimum requirement for Ed majors. I tried to get my GPA up and then the year before I had to do student teaching I panicked and decided I didn't want to be miserable anymore so I dropped out of the program. I'd always dread going to random schools to do observations. I'm horrible at small talk and I just didn't have the energy and bubbliness you need to be around young kids. I can't stand all attention being on me and that's kinda unavoidable if you're a teacher. I find that since I'm so quiet the majority of the time it's just exhausting when I have to force myself to talk a lot. Not to go off on another tangent but I found most Ed Majors to be the complete opposite of myself personality wise.

Anyways, I switched my major to Sociology my senior year because I loved the few sociology classes I took and basically I just needed to complete a degree in SOMETHING so that all my credits didn't go to waste. It was a weird feeling to actually love my major for once and not dread going to classes. I'd look forward to class! Well anyways, I finally graduated and I've never felt so relieved because I honestly thought my SA was going to keep me from graduating college. Taking an online course was one of my best experiences because I actually felt more involved with the class by freely posting my thoughts on the online discussion boards. I hope to get my MA online in Library Science. I thought about Social Work but I think I don't have the social skills to succeed in that career :-/