What is your main purpose?

shon

I feel empty half the time. It seems like my purpose on earth is to cook, clean, and take care of the kids. That's all I'm good for...making sure things are done for other people.

I crave a feeling other then this one. It's like I'm walking through a thick fog and suddenly remembering I've forgotten something important but I don't know what it is. Do you ever feel like you don't serve a meaningful purpose?

ripewithdecay

I think a lot of people feel that way. You just need to find whatever it is that you love most. Maybe you're so busy that it's difficult. But you owe it to yourself. Dare to dream. And when it comes time, dare to make that dream a reality.

I feel like my purpose in life is to make the world a better place and to help others.

Bob Dylan said:
You may be an ambassador to England or France,
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance,
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world,
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

You might be a rock 'n' roll addict prancing on the stage,
You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage,
You may be a business man or some high degree thief,
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

You may be a state trooper, you might be a young Turk,
You may be the head of some big TV network,
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame,
You may be living in another country under another name

You may be a construction worker working on a home,
You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome,
You might own guns and you might even own tanks,
You might be somebody's landlord, you might even own banks

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride,
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side,
You may be workin' in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair,
You may be somebody's mistress, may be somebody's heir

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk,
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk,
You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread,
You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy,
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy,
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray,
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody.

Doomed2Die

Hmm time for a little story me thinks.

I have spent the better part of four years doing nothing but pondering this, first I was confused, then I decided it was mere pleasure, but afterwards I felt and inwardly knew there was more to it. I SAW there was more to it.

Bitterness has a blessing and with this I became a cynic, yet I also was shrewd and saw for myself what was the world truly. When I began my bible study I had no inclination to live, but I still hungered for truth something that I found little in that respect among all the "religions" and theories, these viewpoints and ideals.

And here I am, still learning but I have found my truth, the reason for life even. Heh... why do I live? Rather who do I live for, our creator god of course. I remember the time I understood finally what is this world and it was pretty much a sundering of half-facts and semi-truths. A box has been put over the box I think outside of, or rather I can see it now. Harmony prehaps being the most prevelant and shocking

So you people you want truth? Reason? Read the bible, learn its ways. What is there to lose? Nothing but time, what is there to gain potentially? Life, knowledge, happiness, love and hope, to name a few.

My thoughts? The fallout, the sheer wisdom I have gained from learning basic bible truths is quite simply nigh transendant... my thanks in return? My humble servitude and eternal thanks.

void

I feel like I'm wasting my time. I think I distract myself a lot by doing useless stuff while I should take some responsibility for my life and do something about my problems. Religion didn't give me any comfort either before I became an atheist.

4seasons

Doomed2Die said:
Hmm time for a little story me thinks.

I have spent the better part of four years doing nothing but pondering this, first I was confused, then I decided it was mere pleasure, but afterwards I felt and inwardly knew there was more to it. I SAW there was more to it.

Bitterness has a blessing and with this I became a cynic, yet I also was shrewd and saw for myself what was the world truly. When I began my bible study I had no inclination to live, but I still hungered for truth something that I found little in that respect among all the "religions" and theories, these viewpoints and ideals.

And here I am, still learning but I have found my truth, the reason for life even. Heh... why do I live? Rather who do I live for, our creator god of course. I remember the time I understood finally what is this world and it was pretty much a sundering of half-facts and semi-truths. A box has been put over the box I think outside of, or rather I can see it now. Harmony prehaps being the most prevelant and shocking

So you people you want truth? Reason? Read the bible, learn its ways. What is there to lose? Nothing but time, what is there to gain potentially? Life, knowledge, happiness, love and hope, to name a few.

My thoughts? The fallout, the sheer wisdom I have gained from learning basic bible truths is quite simply nigh transendant... my thanks in return? My humble servitude and eternal thanks.
Read the bible for what? I guess its a story haha, besides that it would be a waste of time. What makes people believe in "God", i don't understand. People live their lives "obeying" god and living their life around the bible, the way i see it, thats a waste of your life, and your not living it to your fullest. People believe in god because they are afraid, and they want a purpose to life, they don't want to believe life is what you see, when thats exactly what it is. We're a growing, living organism living on Earth and one day we will die, and thats it, end of the line. We're lucky to have that.

I'm not trying to hate on anyones beliefs or anything these are strictly my opinions, i just get the feeling to speak up whenever someone "preaches" god. Its almost like people get brainwashed by the whole idea. Maybe im missing something, maybe i should read the bible.

needanick

Hi Shon.
When you say taking care of the kids, do you mean your children?
I don't understand how a social phobic person can manage to marry and have children, well, it must be easier for women.

Generical

4seasons said:
Read the bible for what? I guess its a story haha, besides that it would be a waste of time. What makes people believe in "God", i don't understand. People live their lives "obeying" god and living their life around the bible, the way i see it, thats a waste of your life, and your not living it to your fullest. People believe in god because they are afraid, and they want a purpose to life, they don't want to believe life is what you see, when thats exactly what it is. We're a growing, living organism living on Earth and one day we will die, and thats it, end of the line. We're lucky to have that.

I'm not trying to hate on anyones beliefs or anything these are strictly my opinions, i just get the feeling to speak up whenever someone "preaches" god. Its almost like people get brainwashed by the whole idea. Maybe im missing something, maybe i should read the bible.
lol how can you criticize the bible if you haven't read it, anything you've heard about it is probably wrong...besides you don't have to be religous to learn a lot from it.

Not sure about our purpose but it's probably just to reproduce...like every other animal.

Doomed2Die

4seasons said:

Why do you want to live life to the fullest? Or at least, define 'fullest'. Also is it enough to believe in god? Do you think so? Not me, I want to know him and who even what he is, what the bible is for and what has it to show me. Consider your belief's even read my sig, question what you believe is true but also seek out and test which that promises other wise. Studing the bible is a great thing to do for anyone, even more so tenfold if one was to follow the path it describes.

Brainwashed by whom? Jehovah God? Life? *shrug* as I mentioned I have spent too much time pondering exisistance and continue to do so even today. Prehaps it is how different and impossible such prospects are in the worldly society no, is this what you really mean by brainwashed?

Generical said:
Not sure about our purpose but it's probably just to reproduce...like every other animal.

Don't you think there is more to it? What sole living thing dominates this earth most? And what one happens to be the only one with free will? Is that not illogical?

Generical

I dunno really i just see us as animals that happened to grow a more advanced brain, i mean there could be something out there thats way ahead of us too so when we are compared to them we are no more special than a newt.....we could just be primitive. lol im just making stuff up now but yeah also why would we deserve an existance after this anyway?

lol this is drifting from the actual point of this thread

4seasons

Generical said:
4seasons said:

lol how can you criticize the bible if you haven't read it, anything you've heard about it is probably wrong...besides you don't have to be religous to learn a lot from it.

The bible is written by man, men who said they and they alone experienced god. Where's the proof? If someone walked up to you and told you God spoke to them and he told them to put this in a book would you actually believe this person? You would think they're nuts. People back then where just so simple minded, they had no science, they didn't know where they came from....God was the only logical answer for them, so they believed anyone that told them that. I'm not calling people who believe in god stupid, don't get me wrong.....im only trying to make a point. There is no proof of god (physical). One thing about religion that ruins lives is it says that people aren't aloud to be gay? (don't get me wrong, just using it as an example haha) I think thats ridiculous if thats who you are then thats who you are, family's get ruined over stuff like that. Because the "bible says so" this persons parents reject them and for what? This book. The purpose to life is to make what you want of it, weather you believe in god or you just don't, it doesn't matter, as long as you are happy and living it the way you want nothing else matters.

I know someone is going to bring up faith, and if you do have faith good for you, stand up for what you believe in. I still have respect for religion, it helps a lot of people, my pop as a priest has guided a lot of people in prison on the right path in life. Theres all sorts of positives and negatives to religion. The bottom line for me is i think life is what you see with your eyes, and what science tells us, there proof there, there is an answer. One day i will read the bible, and who knows...maybe i'll find an answer to everything i just talked about, but i am familiar with the bible so dought it, it all falls under one category for me, proof. I'm not living my life by something i cannot see.

4seasons

Doomed2Die said:
4seasons said:

Why do you want to live life to the fullest? Or at least, define 'fullest'. Also is it enough to believe in god? Do you think so? Not me, I want to know him and who even what he is, what the bible is for and what has it to show me. Consider your belief's even read my sig, question what you believe is true but also seek out and test which that promises other wise. Studing the bible is a great thing to do for anyone, even more so tenfold if one was to follow the path it describes.

Brainwashed by whom? Jehovah God? Life? *shrug* as I mentioned I have spent too much time pondering exisistance and continue to do so even today. Prehaps it is how different and impossible such prospects are in the worldly society no, is this what you really mean by brainwashed?
When i say brainwashed i mean most people where raised with religion, they where taught it from the day they where born and if you believe anything else you are wrong and your family is disappointed in you. I see family's like this and i'm astounded, how could such a thing make a person in their own family a reject. This is one of that mane reasons i don't agree with religion.

Society itself is all brainwashed. Most parents will not allow you to say "fuck" in the house. Why? its a word, how is it any different from the word "remote"? Its meaning? When it comes down to it no words really have meaning, they are basically sounds made up by society. I ponder existence and society a lot to. I have so many questions i need answers to.

When i say live life to its fullest i mean live it the way i want to live it, drink, try shit like certain drugs at least once in my life. Anyone who is deeply religious and lives their life by God is not living there life to its fullest, but, if thats what makes them happy then good for them, they can do what they want.

The song "All about you" by classified, describe my thoughts perfectly, some of you should DL it, great song.

[Chad Hatch:]
Life's not what you take
It's not about the promises you make
It's not about the friends you might've made
Or love that is gone

Life is what you give
It's not about the stupid things you did
It's not about the way things could've been
It's about movin' on

[Chorus:]
It's all about you
So every morning when wake, before the first step that you take
Just think it's all what you make it
And you'll make it through

[Classified:]
This life will leave you stressed out, left out with your neck out, ain't nothing changed
It's real life so we deal right but it feels like it's something strange.
We wonderin' the dumbest things and let everything get under our skin
Trouble again, tryin' to impress someone else. It's fucked in the head.
So do you, you'll never make everyone happy. It just won't happen.
At the end of day, when all say is said, you better be ready to go back at'em.
I learn slow, my verse shows my growth, my wisdom.
If you positive, or you negative, it don't make a difference not when you live it.
Cause some of the most successful people on this planet
Will kill themselves for somebody else's like they really couldnt manage.
Then we got bums, alcoholics on the streets
With no stress, no where to rest, no where to dress, no where to sleep.
And they say fuck my morals. I'm drinkin' away my sorrows.
I'm livin' life and I'm happy, I ain't thinking about tomorrow.

[Chorus]

[Chad Hatch:]
Life is what it brings
It's not about cars and fancy things
Or hairsalons and diamond rings
Girls don't lose no sleep

Life is all about the things you'll never figure out
It's all about the people you allow in and the memories that you keep

[Classified:]
This here is life so tell me who choses whats wrong and right.
Is it what we see on tv? Get a job, raise a family.
That's how I was raised, how I was brought up
Get a wife, a son and daughter.
That's how I was taught to be proper.
Never thought anyone could get caught up.
And slowly I get up and the fairytale quickly vanished.
Realized that life is a bitch and shit, you gotta be able to stand it.
And you gotta be able to handle it, this stress and the pressure, you channel it..
And you learn to cope at the end of your rope anyway that you can with liquor or dope.
Or work hard, raise your kids. Strip clubs, whatever it is.
Smoke weed, shoot hoops, whatever you find your happiness through.
It's your life. Just make sure you know what you want when you go out and get it
Keep doing this shit for you, not your crew or the dude you're tryna impress, kid.
Life is simple, life is hard and yeah life is fun
So enjoy the things around you before your life is done.

Generical

4seasons said:
The bible is written by man, men who said they and they alone experienced god. Where's the proof? If someone walked up to you and told you God spoke to them and he told them to put this in a book would you actually believe this person? You would think they're nuts. People back then where just so simple minded, they had no science, they didn't know where they came from....God was the only logical answer for them, so they believed anyone that told them that. I'm not calling people who believe in god stupid, don't get me wrong.....im only trying to make a point. There is no proof of god (physical). One thing about religion that ruins lives is it says that people aren't aloud to be gay? (don't get me wrong, just using it as an example haha) I think thats ridiculous if thats who you are then thats who you are, family's get ruined over stuff like that. Because the "bible says so" this persons parents reject them and for what? This book. The purpose to life is to make what you want of it, weather you believe in god or you just don't, it doesn't matter, as long as you are happy and living it the way you want nothing else matters.

I know someone is going to bring up faith, and if you do have faith good for you, stand up for what you believe in. I still have respect for religion, it helps a lot of people, my pop as a priest has guided a lot of people in prison on the right path in life. Theres all sorts of positives and negatives to religion. The bottom line for me is i think life is what you see with your eyes, and what science tells us, there proof there, there is an answer. One day i will read the bible, and who knows...maybe i'll find an answer to everything i just talked about, but i am familiar with the bible so dought it, it all falls under one category for me, proof. I'm not living my life by something i cannot see.
Eh? That has nothing to do with what i was saying, did you assume i was for religion by saying don't judge a book by its cover? the bible isn't 'a guide to christianity' or whatever. I'm saying you can learn a lot from the teachings within it....about humanity and not necessarily the religion.

4seasons

[/quote]Eh? That has nothing to do with what i was saying, did you assume i was for religion by saying don't judge a book by its cover? the bible isn't 'a guide to christianity' or whatever. I'm saying you can learn a lot from the teachings within it....about humanity and not necessarily the religion.[/quote]

Haha sorry man, i just started typing and got carried away. I always do that. I know what you men....like i said i have respect for religion and some of the stuff it teaches.

4seasons

Generical said:
haha don't be sorry, i just really like these sort of debates lol
Same, its very interesting to hear other people views on stuff like religion, and existence in general.

shon

needanick said:
Hi Shon.
When you say taking care of the kids, do you mean your children?
I don't understand how a social phobic person can manage to marry and have children, well, it must be easier for women.

Yeah, I mean my children. I've been married 14 yrs (since I was 17). My social phobia didn't get terrible until right after I got married and moved 600 miles away from home.

Thanks for the responses, they're all good.

Like Doomed2Die, I believe in God too. I don't read the bible though because it makes me feel like I'm going straight to hell for making mistakes in the past. I don't see how the bible could be accurate and I'm hoping it's not.

Doomed2Die

4seasons said:
Society itself is all brainwashed. Most parents will not allow you to say "fuck" in the house. Why? its a word, how is it any different from the word "remote"? Its meaning? When it comes down to it no words really have meaning, they are basically sounds made up by society. I ponder existence and society a lot to. I have so many questions i need answers to.

Even so, many things in society are pointless. Its a word yes, but if people are affected by it negatively why bother saying it at all? There is no reason.

The bible is written by inspired man, this includes visions/prophecies, advice, history and such. All scientific history and facts line up to be true also. The shape of the world no body believed at one time also, and the universe expanding is also in the bible, the history adds up with what historians can find out. Look, just read it and you will see things that no man could even get on paper, not alone.

Are we to forget history and live within the age we are born into? Of course not, but are we to read about and actually learn the exact same problems that unfolded during the times of the bible that our happening today?

Where is the proof? Is it not the bible? You go back thousands of years and attempt to solidify proof for the future, will people believe it? This very mindset of mankind today is in the bible, it describes our current world in fine detail and also how people are acting.

And for myself, it is more than simply helping people with life, consider what you would do if you found a cure to all the illnesses in the world, would you tell people about it? Of course! And be happy to do so.

Generical what if we are born into an age of strife purposly designed to prove humanity cannot be the rulers of the world? What do you have to say about that?

Shon try reading small amounts of it now and then, you will be suprised about the 'hell' prospect :wink: , partly because God forgives all as long as one is repentant on whatever the problem was (willing to stop doing it ect.) and partly due to that there is no suffering hell, only one for destruction(gehenna) and one for sleep(death/sheol).

And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna(or loosly translated, hell)Matthew 10:28