What does Therapy do for you?

Hello
I was just wondering how therapy is working out for you guys. So far I've had about 5-6 appointments with my current therapist, and have seen no improvement... He has a good reputation and all, but it just seems like he does not really understand me. Basically all that happens, is we talk about what has happened in the past 2 weeks, and then in the end of the session I receive a small package about changing beliefs and what I assume to be CBT info. The thing that annoys me though, is that we never really go through how I should implement the material into my daily life... I feel like he is just taking it slow to get more money.
Is this normally how it goes, or have you experience something different? Because i really do not want to spend more money for nothing.

- This is my 2nd therapist...left the first one after 3 sessions.

My most recent therapist would tell me to take control of the sessions and that it was up to me to set the pace/direction. Personally, I never enjoyed going to therapy and don't benefit from it, however, you might.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Therapy f***ed me up even more than it helped. It helped for a few things, but most of times it was a pain. The problem wasn't therapy itself, I just happened to meet the wrong professionals. It would shock you if I told you how many ignorant noobs are responsable for other people's mental health over here. Thank Lucifer I'm not easy to manipulate and I'm aware of most of my issues, and I know how to identify an ignorant person, otherwise I would have ended up really bad. Those who study for psychologists and psychiatrists should be tested to see if they are actually able to be such thing, because some people are just not prepared for that no matter how many books they read. Mental health is no joke. You need, not just a bunch of books in order to understand how a mind works, but also empathy.

Lorraine Manca

im confused about it too. i nearly laugh through the entire thing, because it seems so rediculous. the therapist explained that laughing is the way i cope with sadness. i think its the way i cope with having to listen to her mumbo jumbo. i go anyway though cause im desperate to get rid of these problems.

i think therapy works for some people and doesnt work for others. i think you have to believe in it completely for it to work. thats the hard part. its worth a shot to find out if you're one of the people it works for. i guess if you think hes dragging it out, you could talk with him about wanting to have made progress after a certain number of sessions and figure out a way to evaluate that.

In my experience you can't benefit from therapy if you don't feel a connection with the therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist.
If they do not have an understanding of what you are describing, and you aren't learning anything from there suggestions/information, then you need to find another one. It took me several attempts to find one that I could connect with, and when I did, it made it worth having to go through the bad ones to get there.