what do you guys think?

Roxy90

Hi guys i am a 17 year old girl and i have had social anxiety for about 3 yrs now. I started to go to therapy about 10 months ago and i thought i was getting better in terms of socializing and stuff. But today i went to church and i acted so weird so shy i mean ppl were talking to me and i couldn't evn look them in the eye and talk alot. I am so fed up with feeling like this. I am always anxious about something always worrying about seeing somebody i kno at church or out and having to say hi to them and just worried about talking to ppl because i always think they notice that i am shy or think i am weird all the time and the thing is that i used to be outgoing!! and then all of a sudden everything changed. This is why i am thinking of going on meds for my anxiety wat do you guys think should i :?: if anyone is taking meds now do they help :?:

HexNoir

No way. You can do what you want, but in my opinion meds suck. I've overcome so many of my fears already WITHOUT meds that it just seems like a bad idea... not to mention all the people I've met who are so fucked up from them. The shit's hard on your system, plain and simple.

Social anxiety is a struggle. The more you struggle, the stronger you get and the more you learn from the experience. Once you overcome it from the inside and out, you'll be thankful you've had the opportunity to learn and experience everything you did. I absolutely guarantee it with all my heart. If I'm doing it, so can you.

Roxy90

hey guys thanx for the answers i was really thinking about taking meds but after ure advice i will just try to ride it out and see

4seasons

You shouldn't make your decision based on what a couple of strangers said on the internet, talk to a professional, a family member, or someone that has had experience with meds.

SilentType

Banned
I've been on medication for my panic disorder w/ agoraphobia for years and I haven't found anything that's helped. I'm actually going to give my psychiatrist an earful next visit because shes been prescribing me benzodiazepines for sleep for the past two years, even though it's widely agreed upon by medical professionals that these drugs should not be used in this way (or in any way) for more than six weeks. I've become addicted to clonazepam and the last two years of my life have been a fog because of this medication. I feel like a fucking guinea pig,g after all the medications I've been given to "see if they would help." Psychiatrists don't even know what they're doing when it comes to us. They just go by the book, starting us out with various antidepressants, and if they don't work, maybe some beta blockers and some benzodiazepines, if necessary.

Personally, I'm tired of all that. I don't want to be addicted to benzos the rest of my life. I'm moving to California to get some "herbal" treatment. At least I know that people have ingested cannabis for thousands of years with no harm done. Who knows what these other drugs are doing to our bodies. They do prescribe medical marijuana for any chronic or disabling condition that interferes with the normal daily activities. I've been talking to California doctors and they claim I'm a prime candidate for medical pot. I'm on disability because of my condition, and that right there along with a few prescription bottles is usually enough to get you medical pot in California. I've also got years of medical records to back up my condition and the fact that nothing the psychiatrist is giving me has helped much at all.

When I smoke I feel like I can take on the world and I see everything in a different perspective, almost completely forgetting about my anxieties. Most people don't know it, but the type of pot u smoke can have a big effect on whether it helps anxiety. There are two types of bud: Sativa: heady buzz thats stimulating, and Indica: more body buzz and sedating. It's been found that hybrid crossbreeds of the two strains are the most effective at reducing anxiety.

As you can see I've reached the end of my rope as far as treatment goes. I've boiled it down to, be addicted to pills and pay out the nose for doctor visits for the rest of my life (not working), become an alcoholic (however,I want to live, not drown my sorrows in a bottle), or seek out a compassionate doctor in California to prescribe me medical cannabis. The latter is the safest of the three options, and was in pharmacopoeias around the globe until the racist U.S. government (at the time) decided to use it as a way to try to get Mexicans out of our country. I will not stand for this propoganda anymore, and neither should you.

....I may be crazy but its just somethin to think about....I'm acting on it soon...

Peace

Roxy90

4seasons said:
You shouldn't make your decision based on what a couple of strangers said on the internet, talk to a professional, a family member, or someone that has had experience with meds.

Yea i did talk to my family and some of them are depressed so they have to be on meds and they don't recommend that i go on meds either so they helped me with my decision as well

RedRibbons

I've been dealing with sa/mild ocd for abooooot... 7 years. zzz without medication, and I'm glad. Like vulvectomy said, it makes you stronger to get through without the medication. Your mind is stronger, your ability to cope, your ability to empathize, to understand, to help others... There are so many benefits to NOT taking drugs.

I would only suggest you take medication and seek serious counseling if you are in a VERY DEEP AND DARK DEPRESSING place, that you really can't deal with on your own. Other than that!!!! Go at it on your own! Although at times you might think otherwise, you'll be happy you did! :)