What do you do when?

Sammie_Kay

Hey guys, I have been over thinking a lot of things lately and then my mind and thoughts are all over the place and end up not getting much stuff done. I sometimes get way obsessed and just focus on that thought or subject for hours at a time. It is starting to really drive me crazy and drain me. Do you guys ever get like this? What do you do to get over it or just not get to involved with the thoughts? Thanks for all the help! Let me know what you guys think!

Yes. In general when I am stressed about something I find it hard to stop thinking about it. Lately stress has made it very difficult for me to concentrate on schoolwork because my mind won't stop racing. That's stress, though - I don't know if that's what you meant or just obsessive thoughts in general.

Either way, unfortunately I haven't found a solution, but I can relate.

squidgee

It's a matter of how well you can self-regulate your thought patterns and emotions. It's difficult at first, but can get easier with practice and time. Try if you can just stop whatever it is you're doing (in my case, I actually say "stop!" to myself out loud), and question whether what you're doing is productive or not. Think about how you'll feel at the end of the day when you go to sleep if you continue with these distracting thoughts and don't get anything done (probably disappointed and regretful) vs. how you'll feel if you completed whatever needed to be done (accomplishment and relief). You can go as far as to form a mental image of yourself feeling that accomplishment, or recall past times where you got heaps of stuff done and felt good about it. Now is an opportunity to recreate that. And then when you finish what you set out to do, you can reward yourself. Or if that desire to return to those thoughts is just too irresistible, at least now you can return to those thoughts guilt free because at least you had a productive day.

Alternatively, if you're actually really burnt out from stress, I guess you could do some exercise, a hobby, mindfulness meditation or a brief nap to get those thoughts under control, and then try to return to whatever you need to do.

Last edited:

The Observer

You need to learn how to slow down or stop the flow of your thoughts. Learn how to watch your thoughts and just let them pass without interacting or giving them anything to work with. You will forever remain a slave to your thoughts if not.