what do you do to talk your self out of an anxeity attack?

flatterby

l have been suffering from these attacks for over a yr now, and slowly l have been getting better. Mainly with the help of natural meds , but just lately my attacks have been lasting all day right into my sleep.
l try talk my self out of it and that lm not dieing or having a heart attack. l go off and do some house work or when l find my self getting dizzy l stick my head between my knees. but nothing is helping.. what do you guys do ?

Remus

Staff member
I tell myself

"dont let it win steve, dont let it win"

I laugh at it in my head too, mock the fear, belittle it even

I know I can beat it and always do, it wont mess my life up anymore

so its basically a battle against the subconcious fears

flatterby

Thanks Remus,
l started counselling today and lm normally not one for it.
But she did inform me a heap more about anxeity stuff that the doctors dont tell you, also how to relax and heaps more. She also told me that l should be over this within 6 weeks :lol: thats music to my ears...
The one BIG thing she did tell me is that Anxeity attacks do not have not and will not kill you.....
thnaks for your input!

Ive been getting alot of anxiety attacks recently,i hate all the physical symptoms that go with it:

Blushing-its horrible because people notice
Sweating-hard to relax so i start heating up
Dry mouth-really uncomfortable
Racing heart-scares me
Stuttering,mixing up my words-this is the most embarassing

Kalima

Flatterby, can you tell some of us the techniques you learned in therapy that might help reduce anxiety. that can really helpful and appreciated.

For SuicidalChick, please don't let that "forum name" take effect. Keep to life and hold on to it. I can definitely relate to the physical symptoms. For me, communication isn't a problem but I get really nervous just walking around in public and during exams, even taking notes in class. To be honest, this has proved to be a major obstacle in my life because it affects my academics a whole lot. Sometimes I wondered, why the hell me? What did I do to deserve this "condition" and why doesn't anyone else seem to be suffering from it? But I'm much better today than I was a year ago: more confident and comfortable in public. But of course there's still roadblocks to jump over. Good luck to you!

scaryfairy

thats exactly what i do too! :) mock myslef and laugh about what i am panicking about. lol those of you who havent tried it, try it! If your nervous about something, laugh about it to yourself, and make yourself feel stupid about worying about it.!! That way you will feel stupid worrying about that situation anymore once your mind sees that theres nothing scary or worth worrying sbout! 8)
Focusing on other things, like what new clothes im gonna buy lol helps me too! Reverting my mind from worrying about an oncoming anxiety attack works also, it didnt at first, you just got to train your mind into thinking another way and blocking out your fears!
hope i helped someone lol
scaryfairy
x x x

process

Powerful quote

Here is a powerful quote I often use by Ann Landers for many of my troubling situations:

Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, 'I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.'"

and that quote rings so true to me as what it you should do. Sometimes it is not about overcoming your fears but rather noticing them and pressing forward anyway that lets move past them. I believe obstacles are what make us strong, so maybe there is a reason for your wretchedness beyond our understanding. All of us here can completly understand where your coming from, so at least your always know your never alone.

Pretend your the leader of the SA's and next time your anxiety comes or when your feel alone and scared noticed your fear and look it in between the eyes and tell it: "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me!"

IcanDoIt

usually in the midst of anxiety it is very hard calm down or rather talk yourself out of it..

so the best thing to do is before the anxiety threatening event comes, self talk yourself out of it first..

Remus

Staff member
Its almost like being a superhero tackling it

"I am REMUS! I laugh at danger!"

I generally just tell myself I'm okay and that it'll pass. I try to think about happier things, concentrating on my boyfriend usually helps alot, or I'll text him and he takes my mind off it, he keeps me strong.

Panic attacks are just something you have to learn to accept really, they only really stop after you have learnt how to cope with them, I rarely get panic attacks anymore :)

Sue

i always say to myself "you have been through this so many times before, its nasty but it always go's away at some stage"

then i can get my breathing back

Crimefish

Distraction is the way, but how to distract yourself is obviously different for everyone. I count my breathing, 7 in and 11 out, and I talk to myself in Japanese. It takes enough concentration for me to forget where I am/what I'm doing/the fact that I'm anxious for whatever stupid reason.

redlady

I've only been threatened by a panic attack once. Normally i avoid anything and everything that has the potential to make me feel like that - but on this occasion it wasn't an option. What i did was breath very deeply and i circled the room that i had to go into a few times - walking very fast and tried to calm myself down by talking and reasoning with myself. I ended up doing what i had to do without going into a full blown attack - thank goodness. When i got home i had a big cry though.

annie

Re: Powerful quote

process said:
Here is a powerful quote I often use by Ann Landers for many of my troubling situations:

Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, 'I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.'"

Pretend your the leader of the SA's and next time your anxiety comes or when your feel alone and scared noticed your fear and look it in between the eyes and tell it: "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me!"

Thanks process,
That quote is SO good. I will use it myself, not that I have been having many panic attacks of late, they are under control most of the time.
Many thanks.

annie :)

thugaveli

I tell myself 'stay composed or i'm going to eat myself' :?

I just keep telling myself to breath slowly, how sad is that, telling myself to breath, its like ive forgot lol Duh!

annie

thugaveli said:
I tell myself 'stay composed or i'm going to eat myself' :?

I just keep telling myself to breath slowly, how sad is that, telling myself to breath, its like ive forgot lol Duh!

You are telling yourself to "breath slowly" which is different from telling yourself to breath...you know how to do that :wink:

annie