what brought on your agoraphobia?

SteveW

Echoing the above post, I first experienced my panic when I had reached the town centre where I was going to university. I don't understand why, because I was enjoying going there and doing the work etc. I'm thinking possibly my having to do two presentations in front of groups of people I hardly knew, which made me nervous to the point of shaking and stuttering (isn't it awful when the only sound in the room full of people is your own voice?).

I think that in turn caused me to subconciously become anxious about university, because once I'd become anxious when getting there, I spent a while being unable to bring myself to go in, so would stay in the car park. Then of course it got worse and my anxiety prevented me from getting all the way there, so I was just coming back home.

Now of course, I don't have university, or a job, so I'm not getting about much at all and can no longer enjoy just going for random drives. That is a killer because, being a member of a classic car club, I'm missing getting out visiting fellow members and friends, let alone shows etc.

I better not go on much further - but are we to assume that the only way to really get over it is to keep doing it and try to get used to it..?

Livingwithoutlivin

Mine started after my last job at a clothing store, which was my second job, after my first one being at a restaurant. I had been homeschooled and graduated so It was my first year having jobs, and the experiences along with the disrespect I got from individuals at my last job, I guess that made me confused at myself and think that people saw me as somebody who deserved disrespect or something, it was awful.

I'm always afraid, even just being in college.

SilentType

Banned
10th grade of high school... I had lots of friends, was a straight A student, and had a bright future ahead of me. The first day of school that year it was like my life got turned upside down. For whatever reason, I started having panic attacks several times every day. Before that I had never had a panic attack. Whether I was in the classroom, in the halls, the cafeteria, wherever - I felt like everybody was staring at me and judging me. My mind and heart would race and I would sweat uncontrollably. By the end of the day I'd be exhausted.

After one week I decided I couldn't take it anymore. On the following Monday morning I made an appointment to see the guidance counselor. First period she called me in and I told her I was dropping out and going to start home school. She tried to persuade me to do otherwise, but I left school after that meeting and never returned after that.

I finished my last 3 years of school that year through home school, but I was never the same. I saw shrinks, got blood tests, went through a bunch of different meds, but nothing helped. I tried to go to college but I couldn't deal with the panic attacks. Agoraphobia developed and continues today... I still have no idea what caused the panic attacks in the first place, but they took my life from me. I doubt I'll ever get it back...

Peace

Last edited: