what brought on your agoraphobia?

Columba

is there any reason no one will repsond to my topic, aside from it being long and boring? did break a forum rule? i just wish i could get some feedback from a fellow agoraphobe, as no one else understands.

Columba said:
is there any reason no one will repsond to my topic, aside from it being long and boring? did break a forum rule? i just wish i could get some feedback from a fellow agoraphobe, as no one else understands.

No one responded because you waited only 45 minutes on a forum full of social phobics, agorophobics, and OCD sufferers, among other things. And no, you didn't break any rules.

I'm not agorophobic, but wow. That's some serious stuff. I can't imagine that being too easy to even think about, let alone post it here. I know you didn't post that to have that guy getting bashed, but he gives men everywhere a bad name. I hope you don't think that's normal of us, because it certainly isn't.

LeeAnne

I can remember being agoraphobic since I was 12. I developed anorexia soon after. Other traumatic stuff. And now it's like i find things just too hard to deal with.

I can remember a mental hospital stay that I think has deeply traumatised me. I was sent to the wrong ward and pretty traumatised. I just remember people saying things to me that were pretty much the same as what was said to me when I was abused.

kelly365

I was a very sheltered child right from birth, and doctors believe that no socialization is part of what caused my condition. I was thrust into the world at 18 with no social skills at all and that is a scary feeling and I am a recluse with a safe person, so I do get out once and a while.

kt2222

mine was because.. i was forced in to having a heart scan by my doctor.... a mild condition was found and he decided to scare the living crap out of me... i started having panic attacks and the rest is history..

2 years on after the scan i went for a second opinion only to find that the condition i had was rare.. but is totally harmless i could never have a heart attack or failure
my new doctor said the only time i would have to consider it was at the gym.. not health wise but finacial .. because once you tell them you have a condition on your form they will want you to pay higher premiums!! :lol:

SO mine was thanks to a doctor playing games! :twisted:

Broken-Soul

Not the best childhood to start with,more things just going totaly wrong as i got older.. what kinda really triggered it was watching my fammily fall apart and getting kicked out aswell as watching my mum have a complete breakdown.Oh and the fact i was tanning aload oof drugs REALLY didnt help :D

More technicaly tho...i think my depression lead to me being insecure which led to me having social anxiety.And then because i chose to avoid the situations which triggered my anxiety i think this made it worsen into agraphobia aswell.

LonelyGuy48

Difficult to talk about, but mine was to do with a failed relationship - I was engaged and really loved this woman...when things started going wrong, that's what started my anxiety and lead to agoraphobia

As far as I know, it's always been there. When I was a child, I used to find a small room wherever I went and go in there and stay until it was time to go.

I have never been comfortable in large crowds of people. I hated school for the very reason that I wasn't alone. I would sometimes misbehave deliberately so that I would be isolated from the rest of the class. It was never a problem until I grew up and was expected to do something.

Off The Wall

gee the day mine started i was 17, it was like the 24 of september i was going shopping for my friends birthday present (not that we were even that close but anyway) it was one of those boiling hot days i brang a bag with my water cause i knew i felt sick everytime at the shops more so with my mum cause i know she hates when i get sick and is embarressed of me when i am so i was going shopping with her, i didnt feel like bringing my bag so i just left it in the car

i felt all the signs, i felt sick, i felt hot, my hands were sweating i felt myself shaking, i knew i wasn't well.. i asked my mum to get me a drink cause i left mine the car i felt horrible but i've felt horrible just about everyone going to the shops with my mum i knew it would pass. this time it was different though.. i'm not sure if it was the heat or what it was (i got blood tests a few weeks later and my iron was low so im guessing it was low at that stage so that woulda made me feel pretty crap) anyway we got the present got a card, my mum wanted to look around but i was like omg.. im going to have to tell her i feel sick..

i did, she yelled at me, and was pissed cause i wanted to leave (nice aye??) i felt like i was going to throw-up or faint... she told me to sit down but i just wanted to get to the car i knew id be sick if i sat down in the shop with her yelling at me asking me whats wrong! how do i know?. so we got to the car went home i was sick still for like a week i felt like i was burning up all the time.. i have no idea what it was, if it was a panic attack or not im not sure.. anyway once i felt better, the week after my mum asked me to go to the shops with her again..

i remember saying but what if i get sick?

those simple what if words! first time i said them...

My Ugliness, and the feeling that I can't go outside looking fυcking disgusting anymore, because I just can't stand it. A lot a lot of other reasons, but that is the main one. Also because I have no social skills what-so-ever, and because I don't see possible all these things people can do. I feel like I GIVE UP. I don't understand why it's not okay to just hide inside for a few years, until I can get everything "fixed". That's all I want....

j_brown2

Banned
Everytime I would go out I would see people and in a moment it would get all to much for me and boom anxiety attacks... the reason coz I felt so weird and like iam stoned... people laugh at me all the time when they see me like this.Its over now though, Iam delibarately at times acting like Iam weird and stoned but people don't laugh at me, which is weird.... it makes me believe I was imagining all this shit or what,

lot of pain on the recovery process, walked every day on the busiest street in the city for the whole day for about 3 weeks, I would freeze up in a second at a crossing, stare in a disgusting way at people, get so unreal that I heard people talking bout how weird iam while they were walking left and right of me, god I looked like the ugliest sickest monster, so pale Ahhhh I feel like throwing up but the most painful thing was I felt so alone, everyone looked away, ignored me, some people were lookin in my eyes with such an disgusting look... it was awful,

mistyred

I was 25 when I had my last baby. I developed severe post natal depression which wasn't treated and that in turn changed to clinical depression...again, due to a lousy quack, untreated.

I was diagnosed 7 years later and had an intensive therapy course with the shrinks which last 18 months. Dunno if it was a case of me not being ready or what but it helped only slightly. 14 years later I was still living in panic at the thought of going out.

peelnstick

I believe mine was due to having a panic attack while I was on a family vacation somewhere between 2002 and 2003 (I used to think it was 2002 but we have a video of that vacation and it was before I had the attack).

I got to the hotel but started panicking because I couldn't sleep in the bed there because it wasn't home. I had to go to the bathroom, try to throw up, go outside, walk around, go outside with my mom on the steps to get some fresh air, and all that other goodness. I couldn't feel safe in the room, so I had to go out to the car to spend the rest of the night. I'm not sure I got two hours of sleep. I begged my parents to just let me leave, but they couldn't because of check-out time (or so they say.. I think they didn't understand how bad it felt)

My parents took me home the next day and I got jet-laggish when I got back. I took a nap, woke up, thought it was the next morning and that threw me off inside. Then I lashed out into a panic attack that lasted over a span of a day or two. I had to always be near the door, I couldn't sit down inside unless it was by the door, I had a washcloth on my head at all times, and I darted outside more than once.

I slowly got unable to do more and more basic stuff. At one point I refused to come out of my room, even on Christmas to open gifts. I found it hard to go to school and I had to make special accomodations for myself like standing/sitting at the top of the gymnasium or auditorium during assemblies instead of sitting with the class, or going to the guidance office instead of PE because I was afraid of the gym due to its height. Everybody was getting tired of me doing that, I'm sure :D

Eventually, I managed to get out of my room, and even get into town and into high school with relatively little difficulty. But, I'm still essentially homebound except for school.

I don't even know what brought on mine. Just a few short weeks ago I was driving around, working and had a "normal" life. Then I had more and more anxiety and panic attacks while driving.