What are the effects of anxiety meds?

anonymous11

I'll start by putting this in context. I'm a college student. One class I am currently taking is oriented toward class participation- a lot of discussions and presentations; one of those classes were you move the desks to create an open circle so that no one can hide in back (my usual thing). A few days ago in this class our professor did this exercise where basically we all had a few minutes to right down an argument and then present it to the class. As soon as he explained the exercise I had a panic attack; my heart was pounding so loud the kid sitting next me could hear it, I felt dizzy, sick, and I wanted to run away but I couldn't move. I ended up staying and doing the presentation, and although it was humiliating b/c I was so visibly nervous, I did make it through.My normal response would be to never go to class again, but I want to do well in this one and it is a required class so I can't fail or drop b/c I'll have to retake it anyways.

But anyways, now I'm looking for medication so that I don't have to go through this again. The stress of going through this again will kill me. I'm too nervous to go through a psych or something so I'll have to get it from a dealer- they usually have something like xanax.

My question is what can I even expect from anxiety. Will I be able to sit in class and give presentations w/o being nervous, or is that wishful thinking? What results do anxiety medication?

Second question: should I go to a psych for meds, is it worth it?

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Probably not. There's also risks of developing tolerance and withdrawals, which can be hell. For a situation like this, Klonopin would be a good medication. But, it's a Benzo and a very dangerous one at that. I advise not to take it.

You did it once already and you didn't die. So, doing it again won't kill you! Give enough presentations, and you'll actually become somewhat resistant to being nervous (I guarantee it!). Taking a pill like Klonopin, means you'll have to do it EVERY TIME you give a presentation. In the first case, you'll develop more self esteem and prove to yourself what you're capable of, in the latter, you will become dependent with no personal progress.

Remember, you did it once, you can do it again. Best of luck!

ImNotMyIllness

As a side note. I use to be just like you. I hated giving speeches in front of the class. And the first couple of times I was very nervous. But, it turns out I'm also very good at them-who knew!! My professor even said that I should join the debating team....but, at the time, because of my low self esteem, I thought he said that so I can improve (shaking head).

Now I know, I can be a very good speaker once the butterflies are out.

Lamb

Going to a psychiatrist is worth it in my opinion. They would know which medicine would work best for your specific needs, symptoms and which may cause you side effects you wouldn't want or may not be able to tolerate.

Results from different brands of medication vary. They're going to start you on a small dosage (usually a ssri) and increase the amount depending on how your body reacts to it over a period of time, so you can't expect to see results immediately.

I'm currently taking sertraline, the generic for Zoloft. I feel it has helped significantly with minimal side effects. But again, it varies with everyone.

anonymous11

Thnx for the replies guys

You make a good argument against imnot. And I did feel fantastic when I walked out of the classroom at thr end, as if I really accomplished something. I was surprised at the confidence boost it gave me afterwards (I expected to sink into a dark depression); but i felt afterwards that if i could do that i can handle almost any social situation. But pills might be a good place to start just to help me sit and class rather than skip altogether. I have never taken pills before due to a fear of becoming dependent so if I did take them I'd be extremely careful. TBH Ill probably just buy one pill to find out what it is like. I totally agree that exposure is the best therapy and I really want to take advantage of college in that regard- I mean once I graduate ill hide in my house and never get any exposure so I should use the classroom as a place to improve. But again I need to stop skipping class in order to do this.

Thnx for the info lamb. I probably won't go to a psych bc I don't want to get so involved in medication. It sounds like it takes a lot of experimenting to find the right medication even w. a doctors help.

anonymous11

Oh ya, about the dying thing, my heart was pounding so rapidly I really did think I was going to have a heart attack. I had chest pains for a while afterwards which is why I was wondering if I was causing real harm to body. I also couldn't breathe at the time and was having a hard time breathing for a while after.

ImNotMyIllness

Remember what you experience in the classroom will be similar to pressure in the workforce.......behave accordingly to instill good habits. It's always easier to skip and you'll want to skip work days too. (who doesn't?!)

But, it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Hope you do another presentation without any pills. Hang in there and the best of luck! :)