What are some of your incentives of overcoming social phobia?

seafolly

I always had a clear image of where I wanted to be in life. Not details like a specific career, but general things like working in grad school and being, well, happy. Prior to GAD/agoraphobia I was quite the social butterfly and it's a strange sensation to miss that life so much and be held back by the same mind. I suppose it boils down to I remember what life was like before this and I loved that life.

lunaticbinge

Just an overall "normal" life. A job i can go to without over analyzing everything and freaking out the whole time would be nice. Some friends that i know like me for who i am and aren't just using me would be swell too.

IAMN

Good post. Incentive is I wanna look back at a life and say "damn, that was worth it". Companionship, adventure, these things I need for that.

EasySkankin

To have a happy fulfilling life. Kick some ass! If I didn't have social phobia, I think I would be a problem to a lot of people... I just look forward to being able to be myself without worrying what others are thinking about me - thus hindering my performance by 50%. Agggh! :D Some day... some day :)

lyricalliaisons

Well, I know I'll never "overcome" my social phobia. It's something that's hard wired into my brain & has been with me my whole life.

But, my incentives for trying to lead a better life is not only my own future happiness, but my mothers as well. I would love to be able to have a "real" life. I want to not have to struggle on a daily basis anymore. I want things to get better & I'm going to try very hard to, despite the social phobia that will always be with me. Certainly, I will never be like other people, but I believe I can still have a life I can be somewhat satisfied with & at this point, being somewhat satisfied would be great.