what age you started having problems!

JamesAnderson20

Just wondering when other anxiety sufferers started feeling the effects, I was 14 but I don't want to go on about because it was all pretty grim. I was
diagnosed with some fucking absurd stuff by a psychologist, partly my fault as I wasn't that responsive to the stuff he asked me and for years that's what I thought I had, and now I know that anxiety's a pretty big part of my problem. Oh yeah! When did the rest of you start having problems

SilentType

Banned
My anxiety began wen I was in about 10th grade. I just couldn't stand being locked up in there all day, sweating and freaking out like us social phobics do best. Everything went downhill from there (couldn't cope with college, moved back home, argue with family so much they just ignore me now...).

Yeah, social phobia has ruined my life. You can't forget, however, that it is a learned response to our environment. As I look back into my childhood I can remember being quite shy and often refusing to do simple little tasks that involved social interaction. My mom would get angry, but thought it was just a phase. Little did either of us know that those little things would turn into what they are now: panic disorder which often results in agoraphobia. As I got older, I needed somebody to come with me whenever I did something, and now I've driven all of my old friends away so I don't even have any of those people to do anything with. I'm now just a couple months from my 20th birthday and I feel like I've been stuck in the 10th grade in the eyes of everybody around me...

And It Sucks

Peace

recluse

At the age of fifteen. I was always the shy quiet kid but i became anorexic at this age.

Lugnaz

Hm, must've been at age of twelve, or thirteen. When I started seventh grade. I started to notice it more in 8th grade, and started skipping school. In 9th grade I was not in school alot. And just a few months into my first year at high school, I dropped out.

Infected_Malignity

All my life. I've been slowly getting less and less shy, but there's just that one little leftover piece I'm trying to tackle. But for those that blame other people, unfortunate scenarios, and other things outside of themselves - nothing can 'make' you a certain way. Accept that it's all up to the individual, and your ride will be a lot less bumpy, so to speak. Just thought I'd throw that in, because (besides general ups and downs) I feel others and life in general have all been really good to me... yet from day one, I've had these insecurities (or as I refer to them, inner demons) that have been heckling me for ages. No bullies, no abusive parents, no dicks for siblings... just plain old inner conflict.

Hell, maybe it's just part of life. Maybe I need to accept that aspect of it. Maybe we could all learn something valuable from these things we face. Whatever can get you looking at it optimistically. Whatever can raise your spirits, eh?

IceLad

I was about 14 when SP started for me. After a period of bullying, I became incredibly anxious/nervous about going to school.

Infected_Malignity

"I was completely normal (i.e. extroverted, happy, gregarious, well-liked) up until the time I started getting bullied and ostracized in the third grade. Then I became a social outcast for the rest of my school years and that had a profound impact on the way I turned out. Two of my siblings were treated the same way I was, and they became miserable, lonely introverts. There were other "geeks" I went to school with who were socially excluded, and now these guys are all life-long incels with low-paying jobs and few friends."

No, no no. You read me all wrong. None of this is your fault, please understand this wasn't what I was getting at.

Look. Maybe it's just perspective and outlook, but I see it this way - Life has plenty of obstacles. Why? I don't know. All I know is that I've seen people who were bullied a bunch, or mistreated as children grow up, forget the past and move on with their life. And I sincerely congratulate them, because it's not an easy thing to do. But again, it's not your fault. I've been picked on in the past (not real badly, but i've been shoved and punched and whatnot), but I'm not going to blame a bully for the way I feel about myself. That's all I'm trying to say here.

"Thank you so much for making your "blame the victim" blanket statement for those of us who had to put up with "bullies, abusive parents and dicks for siblings." I don't know how people who say things like: "I feel others and life in general have all been really good to me" can even go on to develop this condition. You didn't have to put up with the social exclusion and relentless bullying shit, but you're qualified to tell me that none of that stuff had anything to do with my self-esteem being completely destroyed. You're basically saying that I started to hate myself for no reason - these negative thoughts just popped into my head one day. Yeah, right.

So, the socially anxious losers who fall behind and never catch up just have poor character. That's good to know."

You're seeing this entirely different than I had written it out. It's not about blaming those victimized, it's about accepting the responsibility of improving your life. Let's be realistic here. Weather it's your fault or somebody else's for the way you turned out, you're on your own from this point on. So why go off and blame everybody else? Chances are, you had insecurities all along. The bully, or that abusive parent was just the catalyst that brought out the demons in you.

Also, my life's not perfect. Nobody has a perfect life. I've been heckled by people (I guess you could consider it bullying), told to shut up every day of my life as a child by my parents (though we get along fine now), and even got into it with my siblings. And often got the impression they really never liked me. So considering all that, I could say "Boo hoo, they made me insecure" but this is not the case. Maybe I was too young to know what insecurity was then, but I don't care. I know what it is now and I'm determined that you, I, and everybody here can reverse the damage done. But if you don't want to, that's fine too. Whatever makes you happy, right?

All in all, no, it's not your fault. It's not my fault. However, it's my responsibility to just accept the past, forgive whoever it was that crushed my self worth and wrap my arms around that very person. Want to know why? Because that form of insecurity, and ability to hurt me personally, needs more love and more compassion than even I do. You cannot outlive your shyness with a heart full of animosity. I promise you that.

LovelyMissMadi

Sixth grade. I've always been quiet; but I think switching from an environment I was comfortable with to switching to a new, more threatening environment freaked me out a bit.

ljwwriter

I've always been shy but I think it was my mid teens that social anxiety really took ahold of me. By the end of high school I had transformed into a completely different person; a person so terrified of social situations that I was willing to self-sabotage myself in every situation from my missing my high school graduation because I'd failed a math class to getting fired from my first job.

I was much more outgoing as a youngster. It's so weird thinking back on it now. I didn't care what anyone thought. No sweating, no nervousness, none of that. Now I can't leave the house without feeling like a nervous wreck. I'm 20 now and I miss the old me. And sometimes I can't help but mourn the me that should have been. I think my family does as well.

I'm legally blind without glasses on. Unfortunately I didn't get my first pair of glasses until I was about 7-8 years old. By that time I was already quiet and shy for many years.

shon

I've always been extremely shy so it's hard to know at exactly which moment the SA/SP kicked in. My dad criticized me constantly but it didn't seem to bother me much before the age of 12. After that, it started sinking in more and I took it to heart that I meant nothing. He made me feel self-conscious and ashamed of myself, like I wasn't good enough and nothing I did was right....I believe that is why I'm so aware of myself at all times.

I am blaming him because he mentally abused his whole family and he really is a bully. He still doesn't think he did anything wrong. I've moved on and I'm trying to learn how to not be so scared around people. I enjoy being alone, yet I want friends so badly. It's really weird! Just my two cents.

Johno

I was quite popular and even extroverted until I was about 14. Downhill from then on. I remember quite clearly the changes in my perceptions of the world around me. I lost lots of a friends in that time. I just started thinking differently about people around me. It was totally freaky and scary. According to my doctor this is fairly common for this disorder. Most mental health problems rear their ugly heads in early adolescence. Then never fuck off.

It's hard to give an age that it started at really. I was pretty shy and withdrawn throughout school but it's only since I've been in a working environment that my views on the world have changed even more and made me more disillusioned.

Primrose

Very early, from about the age of 7 or 8. I remember clearly not connecting with other children and making a big effort to pretend I was sick each day to be able to stay inside away from them.

millymoocow

well i've had like a BDD thing since i was 8, i've had depression since i was 10 and SA since i was 12. effed up enough? :lol:

o well at least still have my dignity! (wat does 'dignity' mean anyway?) :?
and i'm sorta funny via SMS and email (but rather boring in face-to-face convorsations) :roll: