Were you born premature?

stardog

Just trying something out here, personally I was born 2 weeks premature and placed in an incubator for a long time. I went to a counsellor the other day who told me that this has a profound affect on a person's personal development into later life, not just this but life in the womb also. She said 'you are a product of everything that has happened to you since the moment you were conceived'

There was a study that found that babies that were born premature and placed in an incubator after birth tend to grow up more introverted, withdrawn and anxious than those not. = predisposition to SA.

Early parenting also has a big effect apparently, young children who have uncaring parents grow up dependant and 'clingy' as they get older, and find it more difficult to leave home and make big changes in their lives.

Anyway, were you born premature? Do you think this affected how you turned out?

Scottish_Player

I wasnt born premature but i was born with the cord around my neck and they had to rush me off and stuff but thats all i know. I go named after one of the doctors that was there :)

Emma

I wasn't premature, but my Mum says I was born extremely distressed and got put in special care for awhile, she says that should have been a sign of what was to come :p

COALPORTER

I was born premature and underweight and had to go into an incubator for a while. Were you underweight also?
I don't think this is what led to SA directly though. I went on to be a very active child and very non shy and inquisative. My mom was very
uncaring and neglectful. Not really her fault though as she was manic depressive and couldn't really provide much emotional input. I have a younger brother that is about the same as me social skill wise. My problem may be that I was never around kids until I was 5. I was very nervious and uncomfortable around kids all through school.

Moonie

I was born a few weeks late. I was due on December 15, but wasn't born until January 6. So I wasn't in the incubator (did I spell that right), but I sure did have a lot of "alone" time.

pinkputter

Very interesting question.....

and apparently found some interesting results because everyone here had an eventful birth....

except i guess i will have to break that trend. I was born on time, normal weight, no complications, nothing.

I promise i may not know much about how to get out of SA but I do know it is a LEARNED BEHAVIOR!!
Besides, something that happened when you were born is not going to change the way you feel NOW in the present. Now you must focus on how to get better and overcome it, not look for ways to "blame" it.