Weight gain from antidepressants

Noca

Banned
Lexapro doesnt cause much if any weight gain. And Wellbutrin never causes weight gain, instead it causes weight loss. And finally, the best anti-depressant of them all, Ritalin, which causes weight loss if anything and is WAY better than any other anti-depressant (cept maybe Nardil, but that can cause weight gain).

Noca

Banned
Thanks Noca :)
I had completely forgotten that I made this thread lol.

I tried Citalopram and had to stop due to a nasty side effect - and apparently Citalopram is chemically very similar to Lexapro, like a mirror image of the molecule or something. Would this mean that I would get the same side effects from Lexapro?

I'll look into Wellbutrin. I suspect it's not approved here as an SA treatment, which could result in a very high price.

As for Ritalin, I'm still confused how a stimulant can help SA - even coffee makes me noticably more anxious. Anyway, the main thing that would worry me is that I have heard that amphetamines cause people to age faster - is there any truth in that?
Wellbutrin wont help SA but Ritalin can easily help. It doesnt so much help your anxiety directly as it does make you wanna face it. It makes you more talkative and extroverted, thus exposure, thus decreased anxiety. Read up on this forum and theres others who agree with me about the use of certain stimulants to treat anxiety. As for caffeine, that makes me anxious too, id avoid it.

Emily_G

Isn't weight gain just a possible side effect? I know it is for the BC pill, I never gained any weight on it.

Emily_G

Every side effect is a possible side effect.

Yes...but I didn't know if for antidepressants if weight gain is a guarentee or just something that happens to some but not everyone who takes it.

When I first got on BC everyone told me I would gain weight...but never did...so I was just asking.

Noca

Banned
Yes...but I didn't know if for antidepressants if weight gain is a guarentee or just something that happens to some but not everyone who takes it.

When I first got on BC everyone told me I would gain weight...but never did...so I was just asking.

Some side effects are more prevalent than others. For example I think its safe to say that no one is gonna lose weight on Zyprexa.

DillJenkins

The pill your looking for is Wellbutrin.

Its mainly for depression. It is associated with weight loss. Its a NDRI. It gave me more anxiety when I tried it.

You should know that SSRI's can cause both weight gain and weight loss. For instance, Celexa made my appetite so little that I would have to remind myself to eat at least 1 meal per day.

tired_of_starting_again

I know that Remeron is notorious for weight gain (took one dose of it & my appetite went through the roof), Zoloft lowered my appetite ever so slightly, when I first started on Celexa I ate less but I believe that was because it had such a good effect of my depression & sleep (sleep deprivation increases appetite) that I wasn't comfort eating.
I'm on Cymbalta & it has had no impact on my appetite.

Noca

Banned
I know that Remeron is notorious for weight gain (took one dose of it & my appetite went through the roof), Zoloft lowered my appetite ever so slightly, when I first started on Celexa I ate less but I believe that was because it had such a good effect of my depression & sleep (sleep deprivation increases appetite) that I wasn't comfort eating.
I'm on Cymbalta & it has had no impact on my appetite.

You on Fukitol too? ;) any weight gain from that?