weak voice and anxiety enhancing eachother

don21

One of the biggest giveaways of my anxiety is when I open my mouth to speak and the words come out all weak and muffled, like my voice is coming from a place in the top of my throat rather than somewhere deeper inside me.

Whenever I meet someone on the street that I don't want to talk to the 1st thing that lets me down is my voice, at that point it's like the cat is out of the bag and my anxiety is evident for all to see. This leads to a snowballing effect of my anxiety, I feel panicky, breathing becomes erratic, I can't make eye contact any longer. If I try to smile my face goes into uncomfortable contortions, I can't focus properly on what to say next or how to respond to them, my mind is only concerned with getting the hell out of there, but I don't have to courage to excuse myself and go away.

Interestingly, I've found that on occasions where my voice is hoarse or if i've been on the beer the night before and my voice sounds groggy, the snowballing effect never happens. I've noticed it time and time again, I meet somebody I don't feel like talking to and I wait for my meek, weak, mousey, scared voice to let me down. But no, now I have this gruff manly voice! I might still feel a little anxiety, but none of the snowballing effect I described above. I feel so much more in control and able to get through the situation without coming across as anxious at all.

Has anyone else noticed anything like that before ??

FriendlyShadow

I also have problems with my own voice as well. Unfortunatley I was born with a very deep and monotone voice that makes me sound very unfeminine. Whenever I record my voice on video/camera, I sound as if my throat is stuffed and that my words come out all slurred. It makes sound retarded and slow when I speak. I know a lot of people don't find this quality too attractive in females. I'd rather stay mute for the rest of my life than let anyone hear me speak ever again. It's worse even if I start singing (because I really want to be a songwriter) and I actually strain my voice by being as loud as I can. It comes off sounding forced. I wished there was a way I can raise my pitch/volume so I can sound less mannish.

Louco

I also have problems with my own voice as well. Unfortunatley I was born with a very deep and monotone voice that makes me sound very unfeminine. Whenever I record my voice on video/camera, I sound as if my throat is stuffed and that my words come out all slurred. It makes sound retarded and slow when I speak. I know a lot of people don't find this quality too attractive in females. I'd rather stay mute for the rest of my life than let anyone hear me speak ever again. It's worse even if I start singing (because I really want to be a songwriter) and I actually strain my voice by being as loud as I can. It comes off sounding forced. I wished there was a way I can raise my pitch/volume so I can sound less mannish.

It must be rather unique, I'm actually curious... Let us hear it sometime :D