We are Living in The "Last Days"!!

Richey

It could be, i predict a few hundred years before anything significant happens, but the human race may well destroy itself by being far to oblivious to the impact of the materials and resources we create over its affect on the planet ..

i didnt want to say this but i need to vent .

anybody with a grasp for science will know its a crock of shit, no disrespect to those that believe its just my opinion

its interesting to read however its just a book that somebody picked up read and for some reason it became popular but all the bible reprasents is a fictional story filled with metaphors snf rules of a system, obviously jesus never walked on water and never had powers but its an uplifting thought, he was obviously well regarded in the village he resided in ..

that is if it even happened in the first place ...

the two major religions are evil, pure evil, the amount of people in the tens of millions murdered in its name makes me ill, the televangiolists that cash in, the churches that make a fortune from it, its a filthy rotten, horrible faith ...

catholic, muslim, whatever is a god telling you how to live because you need someone else to direct you because you cant think for yourself or find your own way to live, its a sheepish mentality, you can't think for yourself so you live by these chapters in a bible that is so old that can never progress or grow anyway and people will continue to practice it because its conditioned into society and history repeats and loops itself ...

thats not to say people dont use it positively but to me even in its progress wont erase the memories of the jews and nazi germany or left handed people burnt at the stake ..

my religion is music because of the feeling it gives, its liberating and upliftng its not prejudice and doesnt tell you what is right or wrong, and how many people have been slaughtered from a music war? zilch

Thelema

Pull up the part in the Bible that states that it's impossible to predict when the end of the World will be.

Every few years people come around and proclaim the end of the World is soon. In the year 999...man, I bet people were going ape shit when everyone proclaimed, with great confidence, "Jesus is coming, look, he says so right here!...as he points to random points in the Bible. "When else would he come back, than his 1000th year?"

Thelema

Re: Yep!

Vanialo28 said:
Matthew 24: 36 "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."

Yep. It's true, nobody knows when it's going to happen but according to the bible's description it's pretty close! :)

No, it's fear mongering by some religious people that have no idea what they're talking about. This stuff has been going on forever

"Failed prophecies:
About 30 CE: The Christian Scriptures (New Testament), when interpreted literally, appear to record many predictions by Jeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) that God's Kingdom would arrive within a very short period, or was actually in the process of arriving. For example, Jesus is recorded as saying in Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." In Matthew 24:34, Yeshua is recorded as saying: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Since the life expectancy in those days was little over 30 years, Jesus appears to have predicted his second coming sometime during the 1st century CE. It didn't happen. More details.
About 60 CE: Interpreting the Epistles of Paul of Tarsus literally, his writings seem to imply that Jesus would return and usher in a rapture during the lifetime of persons who were living in the middle of the 1st century. More details.
About 90 CE: Saint Clement 1 predicted that the world end would occur at any moment.
2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.
365 CE: A man by the name of Hilary of Poitiers, announced that the end would happen that year. It didn't.
375 to 400 CE: Saint Martin of Tours, a student of Hilary, was convinced that the end would happen sometime before 400 CE.
500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.
968 CE: An eclipse was interpreted as a prelude to the end of the world by the army of the German emperor Otto III.
992: Good Friday coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation; this had long been believed to be the event that would bring forth the Antichrist, and thus the end-times events foretold in the book of Revelation. Records from Germany report that a new sun rose in the north and that as many as 3 suns and 3 moons were fighting. There does not appear to be independent verification of this remarkable event.
1000-JAN-1: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000. Meanwhile, some Christians had given their possessions to the Church in anticipation of the end. Fortunately, the level of education was so low that many citizens were unaware of the year. They did not know enough to be afraid. Otherwise, the panic might have been far worse than it was. Unfortunately, when Jesus did not appear, the church did not return the gifts. Serious criticism of the Church followed. The Church reacted by exterminating some heretics. Agitation settled down quickly.
1000-MAY: The body of Charlemagne was disinterred on Pentecost. A legend had arisen that an emperor would rise from his sleep to fight the Antichrist.
1005-1006: A terrible famine throughout Europe was seen as a sign of the nearness of the end.
1033: Some believed this to be the 1000th anniversary of the death and resurrection of Jesus. His second coming was anticipated. Jesus' actual date of execution is unknown, but is believed to be in the range of 27 to 33 CE.
1147: Gerard of Poehlde decided that the millennium had actually started in 306 CE during Constantine's reign. Thus, the world end was expected in 1306 CE.
1179: John of Toledo predicted the end of the world during 1186. This estimate was based on the alignment of many planets.
1205: Joachim of Fiore predicted in 1190 that the Antichrist was already in the world, and that King Richard of England would defeat him. The Millennium would then begin, sometime before 1205.
1284: Pope Innocent III computed this date by adding 666 years onto the date the Islam was founded.
1346 and later: The black plague spread across Europe, killing one third of the population. This was seen as the prelude to an immediate end of the world. Unfortunately, the Christians had previously killed a many of the cats, fearing that they might be familiars of Witches. The fewer the cats, the more the rats. It was the rat fleas that spread the black plague.
1496: This was approximately 1500 years after the birth of Jesus. Some mystics in the 15th century predicted that the millennium would begin during this year.
1524: Many astrologers predicted the imminent end of the world due to a world wide flood. They obviously had not read the Genesis story of the rainbow.
1533: Melchior Hoffman predicted that Jesus' return would happen a millennium and a half after the nominal date of his execution, in 1533. The New Jerusalem was expected to be established in Strasbourg, Germany. He was arrested and died in a Strasbourg jail.
1669: The Old Believers in Russia believed that the end of the world would occur in this year. 20 thousand burned themselves to death between 1669 and 1690 to protect themselves from the Antichrist.
1689: Benjamin Keach, a 17th century Baptist, predicted the end of the world for this year.
1736: British theologian and mathematician William Whitson predicted a great flood similar to Noah's for OCT-13 of this year.
1792: This was the date of the end of the world calculated by some believers in the Shaker movement.
1794: Charles Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism, thought Doomsday would be in this year.
1830: Margaret McDonald, a Christian prophetess, predicted that Robert Owen would be the Antichrist. Owen helped found New Harmony, IN.
1832?: Joseph Smith (1805-1844) was the founder of the Church of Christ, which became the Restorationist movement after many schisms. It now includes The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- a.k.a. the Mormons, and about a hundred other denominations and sects. He heard a voice while praying. He wrote, in Doctrines and Covenants section 130:

14: "I was once praying very earnestly to know the time of the coming of the Son of Man, when I heard a voice repeat the following:"

15: "Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter."

16: "I was left thus, without being able to decide whether this coming referred to the beginning of the millennium or to some previous appearing, or whether I should die and thus see his face."

17: "I believe the coming of the Son of Man will not be any sooner than that time." 14
The year in which this event occurred is not recorded. However, one commentator suggested 1832 or earlier. 16 Smith is later recorded as having said:
"I prophesy in the name of the Lord God, and let it be written--the Son of Man will not come in the clouds of heaven till I am eighty-five years old." 17

Smith would have reached the age of 85 during 1890. Unfortunately, by that year, Smith had been dead for almost a half century, having been assassinated by a mob. Note that his prophecy is ambiguous. It can be interpreted that:

Jesus would return during 1890 (which did not materialize) or that
1890 would pass without Jesus' return (which did come to pass).

Some anti-Mormon sources quote only verses 14 and 15, and draw the former conclusion -- that Smith's prophecy failed."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm

Perhaps people just can't stand the idea of the world going on without them... that could be why Christians have been saying the world would end within their lifetime for the last 2000 years. Luckily they have a horoscope reading relabeled as a religious text which can allow them to prove anything has been ordained.

Each generation idealizes the past because they can't remember it. Today's relative paradise (crime rates are at record lows, there are relatively few wars, starvation is at record lows, there's virtually no threat of a world war for the first time since the 19th century, and so on) seems like a plummet into the abyss to them because they have no sense of perspective. The constant genocide and starvation and discrimination and slavery of centuries past is re-imagined as a paradise of "simpler times" when everyone was good.

Part of this is people imagining their own childhood as "simpler times" -- simply because they weren't aware of the complications. For example, the 1980s were pretty simple to me because the grave threat of nuclear war wasn't my concern. For my parents, on the other hand, the 80s were the horrible end times when everything was going to hell -- and the 50s, with all their racial segregation, McCarthy witch hunts, wars and so on were wonderful simpler times we should aspire to return to.

Vanialo28 said:
"nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom", it is true, stuff like this has always happened, but there was something different about the 20th century.

If you're going to reinterpret it to mean "every nation" as you are, such that it can't apply to all the local wars before worldwide transportation, then you have to get Switzerland involved. Good luck. Anyhow, WWII was 60 years ago and there has never been less threat of a conflict between major world powers than there is today. The cold war didn't pan out, sorry. Bush is on his way out, sorry. Better save up for retirement after all.

Vanialo28 said:
These scriptures aren't supposed to intimidate anyone.

Yeah right, it's just a warning from god that he's going to brutally murder anyone who doesn't worship him... that's obviously not an attempt to intimidate. :roll: Nice guy. I don't know how the fundamentalists reconcile an ego the size of the universe and the maniacal desire to make everyone into playthings with a so-called "benevolent" god. Your god seems like a clone of your devil who just happens to be more powerful. Certainly has nothing in common with Jesus.

What bothers me, though, is that you hate people enough to want to believe this stuff.

Thelema

Re: Thelema and Rodox...

Vanialo28 said:
This is what the bible says about what you've written:

2 Peter 3:3,4 "For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.”

One thing is for certain, it will happen. Numbers 23:19 says that: "God is not a man that he should tell lies,
Neither a son of mankind that he should feel regret.
Has he himself said it and will he not do it,
And has he spoken and will he not carry it out?" So if you have faith in the bible and you truly believe that it is in fact the word of God, I'm sure you'll be just as conviced as I am that this will in fact happen. No one knows when but the bible gives an accurate description of some of the events that would occur some time before Jesus' presence.

Rodox.. you said that this could apply to any time in history? Well, In Matthew 24:7 Jesus said that "nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom", it is true, stuff like this has always happened, but there was something different about the 20th century. World War I mobilized nations in a way that was different from any war before it. It was the first war of its kind in history, the first world war. Some 20,000,000 soldiers and civilians lost their lives, far more than in any previous war.

Jesus said that this and other events would be "a beginning of pangs of distress." Matthew 24:8. That proved true, as World War II was even more deadly, some 50,000,000 soldiers and civilians losing their lives. In this 20th century, well over 100,000,000 people have been killed in wars, more than four times as many as in the previous 400 years put together!

Things are going to get worse though. Matthew 24:21,22 says: "for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short."

These scriptures aren't supposed to intimidate anyone. It should move people into action, to get close to God because He'll protect those truly love and respect Him, just as the scripture showed us. 2 Peter 3:9 says that: "Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance."
That is all..

But there has always been conflict, many people would argue that society is always in conflict. You should google Conflict Theory and see how below a seamingly peaceful society, there is always great conflict within it.

We have such bigger wars now because we have bigger nations, better ways to control those nations and just more nations.

We living in the post industrialized World know very little about real suffering. We get upset if we run out of sugar or if we run out of bread and have to go to the store for more...while millions are literally starving to death.

But, and this is the important part, life has NEVER EVER been better. The World right now is the greatest time in the history of the World. At no time in history has living been better. Just look at life expectancy....in our lifetime we might see people regularly live to over 100...the Bible was written when living in to the 40s we a novely.

You would be insane to insist that ANY part of the history of the World is a better time in which to live than this one. We are living better than people in the Bible could EVER DREAM of living. We can't even begin to imagine what living in centuries past was like, they lived worse than we can know and to stand up and proclaim this the end of days because of a few wars, is totally insane.

Thelema

Vanialo28 said:
:) You could say that technology is more advanced than ever and mankind has accomplished truly remarkable things, but our world's conditon is worse in every way. Our planet is sick, toxic wastes that cause disease and death to both humans and animals are dumped on land and sea, that has never happened before in history. The world produces more food than ever before, that's true as well, but food shortages prevail in large areas of the world because many people do not have sufficient land to grow food or enough money to buy food. Why? Because of an increase in corruption and greed all around the world.

The medical field is very advanced today as well but old and new diseases continue to afflict mankind and these germs are now more virulant and drug resistant than ever! At least 30 previously unknown disease agents have been identified since 1973, including HIV, Ebola, hepatitis C, and Nipah virus, for which no cures are available.

People are hostile nowadays, there's no love for anyone or anything. You see greed, lack of natural affection in families, loose morals everywhere you look. Isn't this true? In the ancient times life was simpler, there was no stress over paying your morgage, car, credit cards, etc, etc. Life had more meaning. People were happier and much closer to each other.

I'm not the one predicting the end and this is not my personal opinion. It's what is written in the Bible. Whether or not you chose to accept it as a fact is entirely up to you. God gives us all free will, who am I not to? :)

I think you're stuck in a sort of fish in water thing. People don't understand just how good we have it. To list the ways in which the World has improved since Bible days would take a document 40 stories high and then it would still be leaving things out.

You list a few diseases. People in Bible days knew so little about disease, they thought it was an evil spirit! They prayed to get rid of sickness...Now we can bring people back from the brink of death. You can't even begin to compare the way we treat disease today to what they did when the Bible was written

Rodox

Re: Thelema and Rodox...

Vanialo28 said:
Rodox.. you said that this could apply to any time in history? Well, In Matthew 24:7 Jesus said that "nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom", it is true, stuff like this has always happened, but there was something different about the 20th century. World War I mobilized nations in a way that was different from any war before it. It was the first war of its kind in history, the first world war. Some 20,000,000 soldiers and civilians lost their lives, far more than in any previous war..

Jesus said that this and other events would be "a beginning of pangs of distress." Matthew 24:8. That proved true, as World War II was even more deadly, some 50,000,000 soldiers and civilians losing their lives. In this 20th century, well over 100,000,000 people have been killed in wars, more than four times as many as in the previous 400 years put together!

Things are going to get worse though. Matthew 24:21,22 says: "for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short."
Well going by these quotes from the bible,I still think its to vague,you are jumping to conclusions because you already believe we are in the "last days",it could be something that happens in the future,and I would bet the house that people before us have also thought what you are saying about these quotes in their respective times.