Way too sensetive

God_help_Us

I always have been. I'm coming to realize it's the reason I don't take as many risks as I ought to. I'm afraid of embarrassing myself, afraid of getting insulted and not knowing how to stand up for myself, and afraid of rejection. When it happens, I don't brush it off and forget it like most people. I can carry it with me for a loooong time. I'm sure I'm not the only one here like this? :confused:

planemo

No, you are not the only one. I am way too sensitive as well. I must say though that since my anxiety is under control I feel less scared about doing most things. I kinda wonder if people like us, are the opposite of a sociopath. Sociopaths usually exhibit a limited amount of fear, when it comes to performing tasks. They usually only regard something as wrong if they get caught and are punished.

I tend to think my fear responses are too intense and it stops me from doing most things, even if I know there are no real consequences and it is within social norms. So basically I am too afraid to do things which are not considered wrong. Just a theory...

But I do think I'm way too sensitive.::(:

coyote

I always have been. I'm coming to realize it's the reason I don't take as many risks as I ought to. I'm afraid of embarrassing myself, afraid of getting insulted and not knowing how to stand up for myself, and afraid of rejection. When it happens, I don't brush it off and forget it like most people. I can carry it with me for a loooong time. I'm sure I'm not the only one here like this? :confused:

I would describe myself exactly the same way.

I'm exactly the same :) I'm sooo sensetive, i cry easily, can't take loud noises, and i fear rejection and can take my worries with me for such a long time... Can you relate to High sensetive people? Maybe you're one of them.
Or maybe you're an empath :) Could be ;)

Interesting. I was just reading up on Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) and now I'm wondering what sets them apart from people with SA.

Hmm I think that people with SA are afraid of judgement.. And people with HSP are afraid of emotions.. Like anger , sad things happen, etc.. and they enjoy things easily and cry easily when they watch a beautiful movie

Thank you, Flowergirlie. I was doing some reading about highly sensitive people earlier and I can see that there are some similarities betweeen individuals with HSP and SAD. After I read your post, I decided to look up empaths. What I find odd is that I recognize quite a few empath characteristics in myself. Now I know what else is wrong with me! ::p:

Its always great to discover new things about your own personality!
I was suprised too when someone told me I was like an empath.
I searched on google and found out that it´s just like me!
I think lots of SA´ers could have lots of empathy going on
Because they sense judgement... They also sense more things ;)
They are really aware of many things.. and they feel more ,
cuz they also experience anxiety !
Now i sound like a psychologist lol ::p:
Empath's are really sensetive ^_^
Now i wonder what's the difference between HSP and Empath's lol :p

emboki

don't think too much.

EscapeArtist

i'm an extremely sensitive person too. ican't tolerate loud noise, bright computer screens or tvs (turn contrast and brightness alll the way down), any judgement even if there isn't any judgement..yeah i'm just sensitive in every way.

dooby-duck

I find it impossible to shrug anything off. There are things I still torment myself with which happened a lot of years ago. It can be stupid little things as well as bigger things.

Lost Girl

Hmm...that describes me, but then there are times when I feel nothing at all. Not sadness, not happiness, not empathy. Nothing. I find myself being less and less bothered by things that would have years ago. Some things that empaths are bothered by don't bother me at all.

Have you ever seen someone who was in so much pain that it hurt you? I'm not talking about physical pain, but the kind of pain that feels like a really heavy weight on your chest. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's not something I particularly like to feel. It's incredibly overwhelming, and not just like simply feeling sympathy/empathy for someone. I know it sounds insane.

I've experienced everything that you've just described Serafina.
I've gone through months of not having feelings toward anything. Just complete detachment from emotions. It felt as though I was in automatic mode, going through the movements of life without really feeling like I was, without caring or even registering a feeling toward something. I remember sitting on a chair once, and thinking. I'm just like this chair. It's a functioning object, but there's nothing more to it. It's not feeling or thinking, it's just there. Strange I know.
What you described in your second paragraph is what I'm going through right now. It's environmental issues which have triggered it. Issues which I've been no more than a little 'unhappy' about in the past, are now having a monstrous effect on me. I'm now so angry, so emotional so upset, and genuinely stressed out. I feel completely overwhelmed by it.

< Unstable girl alert :rolleyes:.

Scars

I'm exactly the same :) I'm sooo sensetive, i cry easily, can't take loud noises, and i fear rejection and can take my worries with me for such a long time... Can you relate to High sensetive people? Maybe you're one of them.
Or maybe you're an empath :) Could be ;)

I can relate so well with this. I've always known I was an empath for almost my entire life, by the time I learned about the word I had already had that ability for years. I advance and decline emotionally much faster than most, and worry constantly. It hurts all the more when someone I have empathy for hurts me... it's like rejection. I don't even have to love them, I don't even have to like them, I still feel empathy and get hurt as badly as rejection. I feel like a thin sheet of glass in a room full of jackhammers and other constructiony (lol) stuff in public.

shredman

Yeah Im with you on this one. I think Ive always been real hard on myself. Im 40 and for most of my life I have hated myself for being the way that I am. Due to being tired of anxiety and feeling depressed I finally went to see someone about it and Im only now starting to understand why I feel the way I do. Ive always hated being sensitive but now Im starting to see that it can also be a gift. It gives me the ability to be able to express myself to a deep level via art & music. Problem is my SA makes it hard for me to make my work public.. this is whats stopped me from taking the risks like you mentioned.