Was this my fault?

yesman

OK, so from grade 5 to grade 9, I had bad breath, to put it simply. I got teased because of it as well. From grade 5 to grade 6, I guess, I didn't have much of a clue that all that teasing from my friends was because of the breath. But, starting from grade 7, it became more clear, and finally in grade 9, I snapped, and now I have a borderline-addiction to gum. I HATE talking to people face-to-face or when they come closer to hear me. It's all because of that teasing.

But did I deserve it? Because, even though it might have been friendly teasing, the damage has been done. I hated going to school and getting embarrassed in front of everyone. I'm incredibly germ-a-phobic nowadays, and I frustrate my teachers because of the fact that I can't talk up close to them or face-to-face. But NOW I realize that I could have just brushed my teeth better. So there was something I could have done to just make the teasing stop, right?

ImNotMyIllness

I know the feeling. I had a breath problem too. I will NOT talk to anyone without a piece of gum in my mouth! I go through about 10 or so pieces in a day-at least! (sugar free)
If someone touches their nose when I took to them, I am convinced that it is because of my breath. I am also convinced that everyone that I talk to thinks my breath smells. (well, I think that most of the time). I'm pretty screwed up in the head when it comes to this!

laure15

I had bad breath too but it was due to dehydration (didn't drink much water back then), low saliva flow, and cavities. After I got my cavities fixed and started drinking more water, my breath doesn't stink as much anymore. Now I bring a water bottle everywhere I go.

Instead of teasing you, your friends should have told you you have bad breath in a nicer, more sensitive way. I had a friend whose breath stank so I told her very nicely about it because I didn't want other people to make fun of her.

Last edited:

yesman

I know, right? I always hated when they made jokes out loud. I still hate those memories, and I never want to see any one of my "friends" again.

Lonely_Writer

Well, regardless of how you take care of yourself, no one deserves to be humiliated. I'm sorry if that's something you had to go through. People can be cruel sometimes.

What I will say is you've learned something from it, and it will help you grow in the long term. After awhile, you'll see that it's not so bad talking to people face-to-face again. I encourage you to give it a try. Test your boundaries. Maybe just a little at first. And then more and more. Before you know it, you'll forget all about being self-conscious.

Take care!

FallenFeathers

Well, regardless of how you take care of yourself, no one deserves to be humiliated. I'm sorry if that's something you had to go through. People can be cruel sometimes.

Yeah I agree with this.

There can be plenty of reasons for bad breath beyond hygiene, diet,illness,medicine and I'm sure other things too. Even if you didn't brush your teeth maybe as much as you could of done, that doesn't mean it gave people the right to make your life hard and bully you about it.

But the sad reality is some kids/teens/people seem to enjoy doing just that, and society doesn't always get better as it gets older, just more subtle about it.

So yeah you didn't deserve it at all, it's not your fault. I also agree with laure15, she makes a good point. Obviously it's not nice and is kind of awkward to point something like that out to a friend, but it sure beats watching them be mocked for it or bullied.