Was I bullied?

shshboy

About a year ago in bamd class I sat next to a kid who would rrgularly tap and bug me. He was an 8th grader, I was 7th. He started to mock punch and never really hurt me (not even close to a bruise) but still it bugged me. He was also an overall obnoxious kid, but I never confronted him or anything, I'd just sit there. This was in band so everyone could see, but I wasn't grimmacing or anything, and again it wasn't like acctual hard punches. I eventually got tired of it and called him a spaz while he was doing it (i know now to just say stop the first time, sorry) and he actually did stop and was shortly after moved away from me because of chair placements. I have a problem with ruminating so I just want to know, was that bullying?

PS At the moment we are in the same band class and it isn't that bad, I don't sit next to him, but it makes me uncomfortable being around him. Probably because I know he has a tendency to be at least slightly violent, and I feel I should have stood up for myself.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Honestly, my guess would be it was an inept and unpleasant attempt on his part to socialize/make friends with you. My next guess would be that you are better off without him as a friend. It's rather difficult to say without a lot more details.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and congrats for placing this post in the right sub-forum. ::p:

B

Beatrice

About a year ago in bamd class I sat next to a kid who would rrgularly tap and bug me. He was an 8th grader, I was 7th. He started to mock punch and never really hurt me (not even close to a bruise) but still it bugged me. He was also an overall obnoxious kid, but I never confronted him or anything, I'd just sit there. This was in band so everyone could see, but I wasn't grimmacing or anything, and again it wasn't like acctual hard punches. I eventually got tired of it and called him a spaz while he was doing it (i know now to just say stop the first time, sorry) and he actually did stop and was shortly after moved away from me because of chair placements. I have a problem with ruminating so I just want to know, was that bullying?

PS At the moment we are in the same band class and it isn't that bad, I don't sit next to him, but it makes me uncomfortable being around him. Probably because I know he has a tendency to be at least slightly violent, and I feel I should have stood up for myself.

Oh my god, someone used to do that to me too, but I think it was in middle school. Back then I was way too shy to say anything, but these days I definitely would.

MelonCollie

I remember in 8th grade there was this boy who sat behind me in class. Our chairs had those little baskets underneath and he would constantly be putting his feet on mine and deliberately shake my seat!
I asked him to stop a couple times but he always did it again.

Also, there were these girls I hung around with ( i really only hung out with them because I didn't have any other friends) and they would constantly be telling me that my hair looked terrible because i never did anything with it, and it made me look ugly. And they criticized me for my clothes. "Will you ever go and buy yourself a new wardrobe??". They said i was a nobody and a weirdo because i was quiet..

8th grade was a bad year for me.

shshboy

Thanks, guys. It puts my mind at rest to get this out. I appreciate the input and would love to help contribute to this forum :)

mcpon

Also, there were these girls I hung around with ( i really only hung out with them because I didn't have any other friends) and they would constantly be telling me that my hair looked terrible because i never did anything with it, and it made me look ugly. And they criticized me for my clothes. "Will you ever go and buy yourself a new wardrobe??". They said i was a nobody and a weirdo because i was quiet..

8th grade was a bad year for me.

I've had that happen to me too. In my situation, it was because my being different made the group look bad in their opinion. They blamed the idea that, say, they didn't have as good of a time as they could have because of that. I would just suggest for you to look for new friends and not just settle.