Walking around people..

raylite

I don't know if anyone can relate to this but the worst part about my social phobia is probably walking around other people. Whenever I see a person walking towards me (especially in one on one situation where there is nobody else around, just me and that other person) I seem to get really self conscious and start thinking whether I should go on the "left" or "right" side of that person thats walking towards me. As a result of my brain telling me "go right, no go left, no go right, no left....I seem to get confused where to go and end up almost bumping into that other person, or usually not letting them pass by for a few seconds because of this "left and right" thing....This is really driving me nuts, I feel fine until something like this happens and then I feel like a complete retard and that other person probably also thinks that :(

AngelsTears85

I can relate to that and most of the time I get really self conscious and end up walking really weird because it's like I have forgotten how to walk :oops: ...lol...

With the left or right thing I've had a couple of people actually walk into me before because I didn't make my mind up fast enough...They didn't move just keep walking in a straight line...It seems like I'm the one that always has to move out of other peoples way... :?

AngelsTears85

aye I thought it was just me well it's nice to know I'm not the only one :D ...lol...But it sure does suck that is for sure

Joey86

AngelsTears85 said:
I can relate to that and most of the time I get really self conscious and end up walking really weird because it's like I have forgotten how to walk :oops: ...lol...

I thought I was the only one who felt this up to now. It's good to know that I'm not :D

alltoomuch

My problem is whether to look at them or not. Should I act that they aren't there? Should I look them in the eye? If eye contact is made, should I smile, or say hello? I usually just look to the ground and keep walking.

yuiko

i usually trying to pass them as quik as i can...and not looking on them at all....just watching ground.

dottie

i read somewhere that when this happens it is most polite/correct/whatever to steer to your right... at least in america since that is how we drive and most walkways are designed. that has always helped me make up my mind more quickly.

4seasons

Whenever someone is walking towards me i don't know where to look. I all ways end up looking at the wall or the floor, people at work must think im nuts.

EDIT: Just read some of the other posts, good to know I'm not the only one that feels like this.

LovelyMissMadi

I usually just stop and pretend I'm looking for something, it leaves the other person the opportunity to go which ever way they feel like going. I'm only sometimes good at making eye contact... and it actually tends to be easier when I'm just walking past someone.

Shy_One

I can really relate to this too. It happens time and time again with me. Its really embarrasseing. And I feel like a huge dork afterwards. Like I dont know where to walk at all.

Joey86

I find that when I start getting self-concious, I start to think about how I look when I'm walking... it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, because when I think about it, I start to trip over my own feet. It sucks.

Johno

LOL!!! I have that exact problem. It's almost as if I panic if someone is walking towards me. So from now on I always stay to the left. I follow the wall and stick to it. If thats not possible I still stick to the left. I have had a few left, right dances when trying to pass other people. When I do I feel like a complete wanker.