Waiver for college speech class?

NightTimeForever

Has anyone here been able to get a waiver for a college level speech class? I think I'm going to need one if I'm ever going to get my degree.

Diend

Did you inquire with the college academics advisement center? Being intoxicated while on stage will at least give you more points than a no-show if things dont go well for you

Odo

Banned
I really can't imagine the college accommodating you on this one. I don't know what you're studying but it doesn't really seem fair that you would be able to opt out of something that everyone else has to go through. I mean, everyone gets nervous for presentations-- it's not supposed to be easy and this is an extremely common fear.

If this were an employment situation then you would be expected to go through with it and if you weren't able to then you would probably be fired.

I think you should just go through with it... if you practice a lot in advance and put a lot of effort into knowing your stuff, then you might discover that it's not as painful as you thought it might be. I've found that if I know what I'm talking about then the presentations sort of just happens by itself. Running away from these kinds of things is only going to make them worse.

NightTimeForever

I really can't imagine the college accommodating you on this one. I don't know what you're studying but it doesn't really seem fair that you would be able to opt out of something that everyone else has to go through. I mean, everyone gets nervous for presentations-- it's not supposed to be easy and this is an extremely common fear.

If this were an employment situation then you would be expected to go through with it and if you weren't able to then you would probably be fired.

I think you should just go through with it... if you practice a lot in advance and put a lot of effort into knowing your stuff, then you might discover that it's not as painful as you thought it might be. I've found that if I know what I'm talking about then the presentations sort of just happens by itself. Running away from these kinds of things is only going to make them worse.

Are you even taking into account the degree of nervousness? I don't think so. You might be right about the college not being willing to accommodate, i was simply wondering if others with the disorder were able to get a waiver.

quietgirl24

I kid you not, I made an account on this forum JUST to answer your question. I found this forum while doing a Google search and I happened to come across your post.

Please consider taking the class! I'm a third year university student who was mandated to take a speech class my first semester as a freshman. When I found out that I'd have to take the class, I thought I was going to die from panic. I tried everything I could to possibly get out of the class. I asked several people if taking the class was absolutely necessary, and if there was anyway that I could possibly get out of it. No luck. I had to take it.

However, taking that speech class was one of the best things that could've happened. It jumpstarted my social anxiety recovery and I walked out of that class a better and more confident person.

Public speaking is one of the most common phobias. There were so many people in my class without social anxiety, but with trouble speaking in front of the class. There was only ONE person that gave their first speech without any sort of nervousness. Everyone else who went up there was nervous, anxious and jittery.

Second, speech class is designed to HELP people with public speaking. Like I said before, you will NOT be the only person in that room with fears of speaking in front of the class. Your professor will help everyone and give the class tips on how to be less nervous.

Thirdly, be honest with your professor. My first speech went okay, but I was definitely experiencing major anxiety, so I decided to tell my professor about my problems. I didn't go into every single little detail about my disorder, but I did tell her that I had social anxiety and that talking in front of the class was a major issue for me. She was extremely understanding and helpful. The next few speeches were even easier now that my professor knew of my condition. I also believe that she was a little more lenient about my assessment. She was proud that I had the courage to try. :thumbup:

As I said, taking that class did me wonders. I was a lot less socially anxious, and a lot more motivated to overcome my anxiety. Please consider taking the class with an open mind. It could be the best thing for you, especially as a college student. Speech class is the one class in college where you can give presentations and it will be OKAY for you to be nervous.

However, I obviously don't know the extent of your condition, so maybe taking the class is completely impossible. If this is the case, try speaking with your professor, the head of the department or someone at counseling. Universities make special accommodations for people with physical disabilities; they should be able to make accommodations for people with mental disabilities as well.

Good luck! Please do not let this stop you from completing your degree! I know how difficult it can be to make it through college with social anxiety, but it can be done. :bigsmile:

Odo

Banned
^That's a great story!

Yeah, definitely tell your professor about your condition so that they won't grill you too hard in the Q and A (if there is a Q and A)... it will definitely help to know that you have the prof on your side and you're not going to be ambushed.

Social anxiety and fear of public speaking don't really seem like the same thing to me. I do think that some people get more anxious than others while giving presentations, but it's a common enough thing that most people should understand how you feel (especially if they're doing the same thing). And presentations aren't really social... when you're up there you have all of the control and all of the power and if you're prepared it's basically just a matter of delivering information... you don't have to actually share anything about yourself or anything.

NightTimeForever

Every time i go to the college campus, i have such a high level of anxiety i feel like i'm one step from away from going crazy.

And quietgirl, that's an inspiring story, but i don't think i would have such a high level of success. My speech class in highschool left me with lower self-esteem, and honestly i don't think it's the best place to learn speech skills. It's just mandated torture.

Speak!

Can you possibly try and register with the disabled student services? You should be able to get special accommodations that way and just be able to show your professor proof of why you cannot give a speech in front of the class. You would be able to use this in other classes as well, if you have another presentation or something else to work around. I had registered under disabled student services, mostly only to get priority registration, since I never actually used any of the other accommodations I could have gotten. It's doubtful that you'd be able to actually waiver taking the class at all, you're most likely going to have to try and work around giving the presentations while still taking the course.

I actually did take a college speech class because it was a requirement and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The teacher put basically no points on the actual delivery of the speech so I was still able to get an A every time. I probably would have been able to waiver giving the speech in front of everyone or work something else out, but that actually gives me more anxiety than giving a speech for some reason... I would recommend you check out the disabled students program if you really feel you cannot take this class, either that or like others said email the professor and ask what can be done. Good luck.

NightTimeForever

Re: Speak!

Can you possibly try and register with the disabled student services? You should be able to get special accommodations that way and just be able to show your professor proof of why you cannot give a speech in front of the class. You would be able to use this in other classes as well, if you have another presentation or something else to work around. I had registered under disabled student services, mostly only to get priority registration, since I never actually used any of the other accommodations I could have gotten. It's doubtful that you'd be able to actually waiver taking the class at all, you're most likely going to have to try and work around giving the presentations while still taking the course.

I actually did take a college speech class because it was a requirement and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The teacher put basically no points on the actual delivery of the speech so I was still able to get an A every time. I probably would have been able to waiver giving the speech in front of everyone or work something else out, but that actually gives me more anxiety than giving a speech for some reason... I would recommend you check out the disabled students program if you really feel you cannot take this class, either that or like others said email the professor and ask what can be done. Good luck.

I'm not sure if i could register with student disabled services or not. I was hoping a psych could write me a note, I thought I've heard of something like that happening before.

Actually, I'm thinking that a speech class would be a very negative experience for me. Also, I don't see how it helps long-term with speech skills. The high school class was bad enough.

quietgirl24

^That's a great story!

Yeah, definitely tell your professor about your condition so that they won't grill you too hard in the Q and A (if there is a Q and A)... it will definitely help to know that you have the prof on your side and you're not going to be ambushed.

Social anxiety and fear of public speaking don't really seem like the same thing to me. I do think that some people get more anxious than others while giving presentations, but it's a common enough thing that most people should understand how you feel (especially if they're doing the same thing). And presentations aren't really social... when you're up there you have all of the control and all of the power and if you're prepared it's basically just a matter of delivering information... you don't have to actually share anything about yourself or anything.

Thank you. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to compare public speaking to social anxiety. I just meant that you won't be alone in feeling fear. The first day of class, my professor made everyone introduce ourselves in front of the class, so she could gauge where we were on our presentation/speech skills. I thought, "Great! Everyone is going to be open, outgoing, friendly, likable and confident, and I'm going to get up there and not even be able to speak." I was one of the last people to have to go up so I saw everyone else's "presentation." I realized I wasn't the only one who was nervous and anxious. It also allowed me to blend in with the crowd. I don't like telling people about my anxiety and I don't like when they can see I'm nervous. However, in that class, if I was nervous, it was okay because everyone else was too lol. Just wanted to clarify that because you're right; they are two different things.

Odo

Banned
^Actually, the bit about SA and fear of public speaking wasn't directed towards you, it was directed towards the OP.

I would say that I have pretty bad SA but I've still been able to feel at ease acting as MC for events, and give all kinds of public presentations. I have even been on TV a few times doing promotions-- these things don't bother me so much because crowds aren't the same as individual people and I have control and the expectations are totally different... you basically just do what you're expected to do and as long as you know your stuff really well you should be alright.

I know that we're all different here but yeah, I was just trying to point out that having SA doesn't mean you automatically can't do presentations.

Last edited:

jaim38

I wish I lived out of town/state so that I have an actual, valid excuse for NOT doing the inclass presentations. My college offers an online degree program which can be completed entirely online; in the past there were some students who lived as far as CA or NJ who enrolled in my college. So they have very good reasons for NOT doing presentations in person.

You could move to another city/state halfway through the semester and say you can't do speech anymore. Maybe they can give you a waiver.

NightTimeForever

I wish I lived out of town/state so that I have an actual, valid excuse for NOT doing the inclass presentations. My college offers an online degree program which can be completed entirely online; in the past there were some students who lived as far as CA or NJ who enrolled in my college. So they have very good reasons for NOT doing presentations in person.

You could move to another city/state halfway through the semester and say you can't do speech anymore. Maybe they can give you a waiver.

Not a bad idea.

Draconess25

Not everyone's SA is at a place where they can challenge themselves to difficult and stressful tasks like this, and if your anxiety is too much to even fathom standing up in front of a group of people, don't do it. Know your limits and tailor your life around them, but also know that if you always avoid risks that you're going to create a feedback loop that leaves you less and less experienced socially and more and more isolated (giving a speech to just your instructor instead of to the class or not at all is also an option). Do whatever you can, work for it, and it will eventually, slowly get better.

I just started reading this thread when I found your post. Thank you! For suffering from the same problem as me, a lot of people on here and socialanxietysupport.com can be a little....the word that means the opposite of understanding. I can't think of it right now. They think that if I grab the horn by the bulls like they did, I'll eventually get over it. Well, when you you throw up and pass out while the bull is coming at you, you're just gonna get trampled! I know I eventually gotta get used to social situations, but I wish other people would understand what you pointed out: not everyone can jump headfirst into something. They gotta test the waters and slowly adapt to this cold harsh miserable world. I know I'M sure not at a place to deal with anymore stress, so when I saw your post, my first thought was thank you for understanding!