University...

richi1173

It has been...normal, i guess. Its definitely less stressing than high school as you can pretty much be whoever you want and nobody tells you anything. Also, in my experience, you are put on the spot less often than high school.

However, I have no friends, and I'm angry at myself that I'm missing out on the best years of my life because of an illness. Im in my sophomore year and its not looking like it will get any better.

I have few panic attacks when Im at uni - one or two every semester (I did have one yesterday) - which is a relief compared to high school when I had them everyday in my senior year.

Harleyq

I don't have any friends at Uni. The one friend I made stopped contacting me/responding to my emails so Idk what happened there. To tell the truth, if I let my mind wander, I start to try to think of situations where I may have made him mad enough to quit talking to me. I'm paranoid that I'm the reason we don't talk anymore.

I've had opportunities to make friends but I always f-ck it up by being awkward and hard to talk to when I'm approached.

this_portrait

I'm a second-year uni student at the moment, and I have yet to have any regular friends to hang out with. My mom doesn't understand how I can go to school with 10k+ people and not have anyone to hang out with.

One of the things I've noticed is that other college/uni students just don't seem to really give much of a sh*t. They're off in their own self-absorbed worlds, busy with their own friends and relationships, and at the end of the day they have to sit down and do their homework.

All I really do is go to classes, do my work, sometimes go to clubs (though not lately), take photos for the campus newspaper, and when I get free time, I go shopping alone, go on a date (lately), or read. No one ever asks me if I would like to hang out with them, and my lack of a social life makes it harder for me to take photos of people for my projects and interview people for my journalism assignments, because everyone ignores my pleas for help when I need to get my work done. =(

dooby-duck

It's a good few years since I left uni now but I did have some friends there. Some were people to sit with in lectures and complete group work with, and also a few who I could hang out with out of uni. They were all in my classes and that is where we first met up. I didn't really make a special effort or anything it just seemed to happen. The laid back easy going people always seem to sit on the back row, and that's where I spent my three years.

rescued

I did university for a bit, to be honest I absolutely HATED every single moment of it. I didn't really want to be there to begin with (I was all but forced to apply by my school then took my place for the wrong reasons) and was ready to quit after about a week, but the actual experience turned out to be hell. I lived at home rather than there, which was probably my first mistake, as it didn't really help my socially. But I ducked out of all the freshers stuff and anything remotely social, just showed up to my classes and hid in the corner, and as a result I had basically no friends there at all. I ended up getting really depressed and dropping out, a horrible experience that I wish had never happened.

fallingsorrow

i'm in about the same boat as you.....this is my first year in university and i haven't made any friends yet....i haven't really spoken to many people and i agree it is daunting when most people are already chatting in groups....i'm living at home so i basiclly drive in for my classes and leave immediatly after them without talking to people

i tried joining 2 clubs but that doesn't seem to be helping....the anime club seems very groupy...everyone just sat in clumps with their own friends making it really hard for me to join any of them....the older people didn't even watch the movie that was picked for that viewing night, they sat off in a corner player a board game.....the pride club went a little better since i was atleast able to talk to people and they seem much more open

i wish i could easily make friends ::(:

Jannah

Banned
I am having a difficult time with college now. The classes are actually going ok, its the whole social aspect of college thats killing me, its really the only reason I hate college. I actually speak to people almost everyday but I never take it further than that. I don't want to ask them for their number or to hang out after school. And I also have a hard time just saying hi to people.... I know thats stupid. I fear that they'll think I'm being to overly friendly or that they won't feel like acknowledging me back. This morning before my first class I saw a guy I have class with who introduced himself to me eariler this week, I was ready to say hi to him but as I passed him trying to make eye contact he kept his eyes looking down, I felt hurt. I felt as if it was somehow my fault, and that maybe he will no longer want to talk with me altogether, it bothered me that I couldn't even concentrate in class this morning after it happened. But i guess its not the end of the world If I don't become friends with him, but what I really fear is that everybody will act that way towards me. I don't like college that much, I like learning but I'll always learn no matter whether I am in college or not.

Why

yep im in same boat as u guys cept i dormed last year, barely made friends and now i commute. I mostly stick with my close HS friends this year.. barely met ne new ppl sadly yet i want to

Harleyq

yep im in same boat as u guys cept i dormed last year, barely made friends and now i commute. I mostly stick with my close HS friends this year.. barely met ne new ppl sadly yet i want to

At least you have friends from HS. When I graduated, I found out all my friends were either joining the military or going out of state and the one friend who I knew was going shot himself in the face, so I'm completely alone here. I haven't even seen one single person from my high school here

blue-roses

I'm the girl that sneaks into the lecture hall, sits at the back, then disappears when it's over. I probably come off as quite aloof if I'm honest.
..... the weird quiet one nobody ever sees.

^Thaaaaat's me! :D

I've posted quite a bit about my experiences so sorry to anyone that's reading the same thing again!

Well! I personally panic in lectures when my friends aren't around. I was lucky enough to have two girls from my friendship group in high school come and do the same course as me, so I let them be the sociable ones and met some people through them...sometimes it's still awkward though, because I usually assume people don't want to know me and when my friends are talking to them, I decide not to bother them and become a third wheel. I'm doing health sciences, so there's not really much discussion required in those lectures, thankfully, but as my elective I'm doing linguistics, and I just sit in a dark corner and don't have to worry about joining in the discussion.

My health sciences classes are good because we're forced to work in groups. Nearly all our assessments are teamwork. In first semester, it was hell, because in the first couple of classes I didn't talk, and by the time I'd come out of my shell a bit, I'd already gained that reputation you were talking about... In second semester I made a real effort to be outgoing in the first class of each subject so I could make a good first impression and then go back to being shy again, hehe. Of course, once I'd done that, people were nicer to me and I don't have to force myself to talk to them, unless I'm having a really bad day. My linguistics classes are absolute torture, though. Even though I did the friendly thing in the first session, I lost confidence in the second week because I had no friends there, it was an arts subject and therefore totally different from what I'm used to, the format of the lesson was different...I don't know how I even make it to class every week; I certainly can't contribute to group discussions.

The less said about dorm life, the better, ha. All I can recommend is that if you're moving into student accommodation, you'd better make an effort to get to know people as soon as you move in...because after a few days, everyone knows one another, they're all in their groups, and you're on your own.

Next year I'm either living with friends in one of the on-campus flats or just staying home and travelling five hours (return!) every day....

Nack

Banned
why the f.uck did i go to a small arse college instead. I wanted to go to a university, but nooooooooo. I can't afford it.

MothMan

University for me is keeping my head down and going for good grades. I just hope I can flip my investment. friendships, acquaintances and conversations are the inevitable occurrences that go along with it all.

At least you have friends from HS. When I graduated, I found out all my friends were either joining the military or going out of state and the one friend who I knew was going shot himself in the face, so I'm completely alone here. I haven't even seen one single person from my high school here

Holy shit. :eek:

Honk

I made close to none friends at uni.
And in a strange way I don't know if I hate university just because I can't cope with it socially or if my field of study annoys me too.