Unable to Look in Mirrors?

Starry

I didn't really know where to put this thread...

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are many here who feel unable to look at themselves in mirrors, or pictures of themselves?

I never look at myself in the mirror - or rather, I can't look at the whole of my face at any one time... I can look at small sections, but even then it's incredibly rare for me to do that - no more than once or twice a month for example... I can't even walk down a street with windows without averting my gaze so as to not catch a glimpse of myself in the glass! The same with photographs, I never look at them... On Facebook, I quickly skim past my profile picture if I see it, the same if I post a picture on a forum lol. I just hate it so much... I feel incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of looking at myself, let alone actually doing it! I only end up feeling depressed and unhappy if I accidentally see myself...

So, anyone else the same?

JJB

I can't look at myself in mirrors, and generally have a strange view of myself from looking at pictures. There is only one or two pictures of myself I can bare to look. I see a glimpse of myself in a store front window or in the mirror and I never really think it's me. I think it's a self-perception sort of thing. I know my name, where I was born and even silly details about my life but at times (especially when looking at a mirror) I don't know who that person looking back is. It's probably an identity thing, I don't quite know but hope that one day I do.

It's one of the reasons I hate going to have my haircut, as the barbers have the biggest mirrors I've ever seen and having to spend 20 minutes looking at myself in a mirror is torture. The profile picture thing is interesting. For me I barely notice if I have a profile picture of myself nowadays. That might be of having so many years of experience with forums. But I hate having my picture taken and seeing myself in mirrors. It's all sucks though, something I wish I could get over.

SHYoreoCOOKIE4U

Yes. But I think or different reasons than why you can't do it. I can't do it because I have basically no self esteem when it comes to my looks. I feel so disgusted when I see myself I avoid looking in the mirror as much as I can.

Starry

Yes. But I think or different reasons than why you can't do it. I can't do it because I have basically no self esteem when it comes to my looks. I feel so disgusted when I see myself I avoid looking in the mirror as much as I can.

That is my reason.. I hate what I see - which is why it makes me depressed if I accidentally see myself... The anxiety around it is because I know how much I hate looking at myself... I know it won't help, but I saw your pictures and you have no reason to have no self-esteem about your looks. :)

hidwell

That is my reason.. I hate what I see - which is why it makes me depressed if I accidentally see myself... The anxiety around it is because I know how much I hate looking at myself... I know it won't help, but I saw your pictures and you have no reason to have no self-esteem about your looks. :)

Starry you have no reason to feel depressed about your looks, you are a fine looking woman.:)

Foxface

I'm OK with looking in mirrors, but usually not fond of my image.

I don't have any pictures of me on Facebook. Just a bunch of photos I take for photography, my car misc, etc.

My Sister uploads photos of me sometimes, which I don't like. I hate when I get tagged in them. Some of them, I don't mind my look.

VitalSign

i know what you mean..i never look in a mirror and i always avoid reflective surfaces so i dont see myself..and i HATE pictures..ive fought people many times because they had a picture of me...

JuiceB

I always try to avoid looking into mirrors for the same reasons as above. When I do all I see is a sad dysfunctional guy with no friends and a lifeless expression on his face. I especially avoid store front windows or tall mirrors.

Hopefully one day I can look myself in the mirror, smile, and be happy for what I see. I'm working on it.