treatments and experiences with hyperhidrosis

jay77

Hi,
I am a 20 year old college student with palmer, plantar, axillary, truncal, and genital hyperhidrosis. The only type of hyperhidrosis that I do not have is facial hyperhidrosis, but I do have severe blushing. Everyday, I look at this forum and 2 other hyperhidrosis forums to try and find new treatments that have worked for other people. I also look up articles in medical journals everyday to try and find new treatments. Curing my hyperhidrosis has basically become an obsession for me and I have gathered a ton of information about it.

Some of the past treatments I have tried are:

-Drysol
-Odaban
-Certain Dri
-Witch Hazel
-Drionic (Iontophoresis)
-Hidrex (Iontophoresis)
-Sage tea
-Sage tablets
-Sage extract
-Probiotics
-Green Vibrance
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Magnesium tablets (MagOx)
-Magnesium, calcium, zinc tablets
-Vitamin B supplement
-Vitamins D supplement
-Women's multivitamin supplement
-Iodine supplement
-Botox (Hands)
-Glycoppyrolate (Robinul)

Overall, I Have spent over $7,000 on treatment for hypehidrosis. I paid for all my treaments (insurance paid for a good percentage of botox, but I paid $7,000 for all the other treatments for the past 5-6 years). I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find treatments for hyperhidrosis which is why I am going to start a blog about all my experiences for hyperhidrosis. I tried to start a website in the past, but didn't like the set up. There are a lot of websites about hyperhidrosis, but a lot of them seem to be trying to sell products (unfortunately, I fell for a lot of it and ended up spending money on horrible products). Now that I have just finished my finals, I would like to start an unbiased blog about hyperhidrosis and would love everyone's input when I do make it! Also, if anyone would like to do a guest post on the blog about what has/hasn't worked for them, let me know!

OTGrl

Hi,
I am a 20 year old college student with palmer, plantar, axillary, truncal, and genital hyperhidrosis. The only type of hyperhidrosis that I do not have is facial hyperhidrosis, but I do have severe blushing. Everyday, I look at this forum and 2 other hyperhidrosis forums to try and find new treatments that have worked for other people. I also look up articles in medical journals everyday to try and find new treatments. Curing my hyperhidrosis has basically become an obsession for me and I have gathered a ton of information about it.

Some of the past treatments I have tried are:

-Drysol
-Odaban
-Certain Dri
-Witch Hazel
-Drionic (Iontophoresis)
-Hidrex (Iontophoresis)
-Sage tea
-Sage tablets
-Sage extract
-Probiotics
-Green Vibrance
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Magnesium tablets (MagOx)
-Magnesium, calcium, zinc tablets
-Vitamin B supplement
-Vitamins D supplement
-Women's multivitamin supplement
-Iodine supplement
-Botox (Hands)
-Glycoppyrolate (Robinul)

Overall, I Have spent over $7,000 on treatment for hypehidrosis. I paid for all my treaments (insurance paid for a good percentage of botox, but I paid $7,000 for all the other treatments for the past 5-6 years). I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find treatments for hyperhidrosis which is why I am going to start a blog about all my experiences for hyperhidrosis. I tried to start a website in the past, but didn't like the set up. There are a lot of websites about hyperhidrosis, but a lot of them seem to be trying to sell products (unfortunately, I fell for a lot of it and ended up spending money on horrible products). Now that I have just finished my finals, I would like to start an unbiased blog about hyperhidrosis and would love everyone's input when I do make it! Also, if anyone would like to do a guest post on the blog about what has/hasn't worked for them, let me know!

Thanks for doing this :) I have plantar and axillary hyperhidrosis and they are so embarrassing when I have to touch patients or show them how to do something and I have to raise my arms. Gah, I'm so sick of it. I've tried all of those super strength antiperspirants except Odaban...and they didn't do a whole lot other than burn my armpits which made it impossible to get to sleep. I have also done magnesium, iodine, apple cider vinegar, Vit D and B, zinc...and nothing. I will say though, apple cider vinegar can get rid of pink eye and gets rid of strep :)

Oh and I've tried those armpit shields and what not...the disposable ones just don't stay on and the ones sewn into undershirts just make you hot and sweat more!

hyp-hi

I think it is a good idea if you are up for the challenge and want to write articles about your experience. You are right, there are a lot of sites out there that are just trying to sell products. It would be good to have some better information out there to help people.

jay77

@OTGrl
I have also tried a lot of different antiperspirants for my armpit sweating. The one I used to use most often was Certain Dri. It burned when I put it on and it was very uncomfortable, but it did get rid of the sweat. I stopped using it because I got a painful rash after about 3 months of using it. I have never tried odaban for my armpits (I only tried it on my hands), but I read a lot of reviews that said odaban did not burn and that a lot of people had good results with it. I try not to use a lot of antiperspirants on my armpits anymore because I read that if you are a girl and shave (like I am), the aluminum in the antiperspirant can get into the blood stream through tiny cuts from shaving. I just ordered the armpit attachment for my iontophoresis machine so I will let you know if I have good results with that!

@hyp-hi
Thanks for the support! My laptop recently had some issues with the screen so I had to send it in to get it fixed. Right now I am using a friend's computer, so unfortunately the blog won't be up as quickly as I would have liked.

Lynzee

Hi, I saw all of the things you have tried to help stay dry and first of all I want to say that I feel your pain. It's awful. But I have recently discovered a medication called oxybutynin and its working wonderfully. You can read my post titled 'finally relief' from a couple days ago. It's cheap because its a generic and I haven't found anything to actually STOP the sweating like this has, things only lessened it or made no difference, from what I have tried. It's worth a shot!

86theHH

I've also been really frustrated with HH and didn't realize that it was a condition until about 2 years ago. So for the past 2 years I've been going to the dermatologist, researching, and also trying various products. It's depressing!!

After all of the things I've done, I've found iontophoresis to be the absolute best thing. I refuse to get surgery until I can get doctors to guarantee the process will work. You tried Ionto, but you said that it didn't work for you? Can you let me know if you were using plain tap water or some type of solution? What current and voltages were you using?
I ask because i've had good results with a home made kit and so have others on this site. I still do compliment ionto with spray on antiperspirant/deodorant. After I'm done with ionto, I shower and then use the spray on deodorant on the places that have the HH condition. Since Arrid and Right Guard spray have 19% or more of antiperspirant ingredients in them, I stick with those. They go on at night and in the morning.

jay77

@88theHH

I actually liked the results from iontophoresis. I used the Drionic machine (which was only about 200 dollars I think) and the Hidrex machine (which was over 600 dollars). After using the drionic machine for about 7-8 days my sweating was reduced dramatically. I tried to use it a few times a week, but with my hectic school schedule it was difficult to use it as often as possible. About 6 months later I sold the drionic machine and bought the hidrex machine which was much more expensive so I thought it would work better so that I would have to use it less often. For me, it did not work nearly as well as the drionic. It was extremely painful and it took a long time to set up. I am a nail biter, so I always had to put vaseline all over the back of my fingers because the little cuts on my fingers sting in the iontophoresis current. The hidrex was also extremely difficult to set up. I would spill water all over the place trying to fill and empty the tubs. I remember one time when I was in college, I didn't want anyone to see me emptying the iontophoresis tub because they would ask what it was. So instead, I tried to pour the water into a few large cups so that I could empty into the sink of my dorm bathroom. Instead, the water got spilled all over the floor and basically flooded my dorm room. I had to throw towels in front of the door so the water did not start to rush into the hallway. Also, with the hidrex, it took over 20 days of 1 hour treatments to finally see results. However, I loved the results once I started to see them. I used the machine on only my hands and feet, but the sweat on other parts my body also diminished like my back, groin, legs, etc. I saw the results for about a week, but being in college, there was no way I had time to use the iontophoresis so often. It was also extremely annoying to set it up because water would get spilled everywhere and it was a hassle.

How long have you been using iontophoresis and has it worked the same for you the entire time you have been using it? I know some people on the forum say that it doesn't work as well after a few months of using it.

Sprawling

Ionto worked great for me for many years. Since Fibromyalgia kind of altered my body, ionto works for periods of time then stops, then starts. It can be frustrating. Switching over to pulsed current made a big difference as far as treatment and pain. Fibro makes my body feel like its always in pain and decreased my threshold doing ionto treatments. Pulsed current makes treatment is virtually pain free. I hope I never have to go back and use my RA Fischer MD-1A machine.

jay77

@sprawling

It's great that you say that ionto has worked for so long for you because some people say it starts losing efficiency after the first few weeks/months. I wish that I have splurged and bought the pulsed current instead. The one I have is not pulsed and I hate using it because it is so uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I am getting zapped from the machine while other times it feels extremely itchy.

Sprawling

@sprawling

It's great that you say that ionto has worked for so long for you because some people say it starts losing efficiency after the first few weeks/months. I wish that I have splurged and bought the pulsed current instead. The one I have is not pulsed and I hate using it because it is so uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I am getting zapped from the machine while other times it feels extremely itchy.

Pulsed current ionto does not require spending lots of money. Here is what I've been using for the past couple of years. Prices vary drastically for this machine. I paid $140 for mine. I've seen it for about $400. The so called dedicated (in name only) ionto machines are just way overpriced.

Galvanic Ultra-G
Galvanic Ultra-G