Treated Differently?

4seasons

Does anyone else find they are talked to or treated differently because of their shyness?

For an example, I'm a cashier and i had to ask my supervisor how to do a certain type of coupon and while she was explaining to me she was talking to me like i was 5 years old. This just showed a huge lack of respect towards me and it really humiliated me in front of my customers. I get the same thing with a lot of customers to. I'm not sure if i explained this the way i wanted to but it's like people look at me and know right away I'm really shy, so they don't treat me like they would a normal cashier. It really gets to me sometimes.

SilentType

Banned
Yeah I get this a lot. My most recent encounter was at the dentist office. It was my first time at a new dentist, and I happened to write down on the papers that they give every new patient that I have panic disorder. I don't know if this was a good or bad decision, but it definitely caused the dentist to treat me different than normal. One of the first things she said after seating me in the chair was something about the perspiration on my top lip, lol. Like I really need someone to point this out, but I just laugh it off. She replies with "it's always good to keep your sens of humor." Hmm seems she's nice than I thought...nope...she goes on further to point out my anxiety by saying "hm, I can see you're a tooth grinder." The comments don't end here, because when I found out that I have an impacted wisdom tooth and the real dentist came in, she tried to change his humorous demeanor just because I have panic disorder (he came in saying that "they're really going to dig this one out" which I found to be funny and lighten me up a bit, but she stepped in and told him to be nice "because he has panic disorder."

Lesson learned: It's better to keep my panic disorder off the record everywhere except the psychiatrist and emergency room..

People just need to be educated on how to deal with people like us. Nobody gets us, and I'm sick of it...

Peace

Peace

cray123

Yeahhh that happens quite often. I hate it too when people dont take me seriously. Some other person might say the same thing and they get taken so seriously. Its horrible. Lack of respect is a big issue. And lately I've been really been bugged by it too. Its not the best way to just raise your voice I guess. Felt like a idiot after that. I dont know how to deal with it either I guess. But maybe someone here has some ideas.

recluse

I always get the feeling that people think that shy people are lame o'r un-intellegent. I don't know why it's just the feeling i get.