Training / Seminar or Learning from a Book?

peakwary

Would you prefer attending a training or seminar to learn about a skill or would you prefer learning from a book, answering questions and activities on paper or online? Let me know what you think?!

I used to like going to classes, but I'm doing an online course at the moment and it's so much more convenient as far as time and energy goes. The last face to face class I did I missed a few then couldn't be bothered going back, with a well set up online course you can catch up and complete everything

Ithior

Online classes are way more convenient. If I'm on a real class, my notes will depend on how fast I can write and how slow the teacher speaks. In online classes I don't have to worry about it, thus writing down very complete notes. If there's something I don't understand/recall, I can just pause the video and go read my past notes/google it before proceeding with the lecture.
The only downside is that you can't ask your teachers questions, but I was never one to talk to my teachers anyway. I feel more comfortable asking for help in the online class forums.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I suppose online classes and books can be more efficient and less time-consuming if you have the discipline. I personally have some difficulty with it, but I guess I never truly tried.

But there is something I really enjoy in going to a morning lecture, with notebooks, coffee and snacks, sit in a corner in the back of the classroom and listen to someone passing down their knowledge.

grammarsweet

Learning online is more convenient for me. Learning together with actual group of people is okay for me as long as it's not a classroom environment and you don't need to go to class everyday. Trainings/seminars are okay because it only requires shorter time.

toowilling

I'd prefer online classes rather than the traditional set-up. I guess being in a normal class room set up just do not works well for me.

peakwary

The reason I asked was because I'm planning to improve my communication skills but I don't have the time to go to a seminar. My friend who works in the HR department said that this company has some tools that I can use myself. I think she said they used one of their games for team building.