Toastmasters

Ebbe

I am not sure where I should post this, but I think treatments and therapies is most appropriate:

Tonight I am going to attend a Toastmasters evening. I have never been and am not sure what to expect. Has anyone here ever attended a meeting?

I assume that some of the people attending will have problems with social skills as well, because otherwise they wouldn't be there to practice speaking in public. I really hope I am not the only freak ::eek::

Also, does anyone know if this organisation is in any way religious? I would hate it if it was some kind of disguised Scientology movement.

Meggerz88

I don't think it is religious.... But I've never been to one. I have always thought it would be a good thing to do.... maybe someday, when I feel a little more comfortable with myself. It is great that you are taking the step to go. Be sure to update us on how it went!

blue-roses

Pretty sure it's not religious. I haven't been, but I think my therapist is planning on sending me to one, if the hierarchy thing we constructed was anything to go by! :S A guest speaker who was a stutterer came to uni to give a talk to us speech pathology students and he'd been in a Toastmasters group especially for stutterers; he said it was a really supportive environment and it helped him a lot in overcoming the social anxiety that exacerbated his dysfluency. So good luck and I hope you get some benefit as well! :)

Ebbe

It was a really nice experience!

The people at the Toastmasters group were all very friendly, and it was obvious that everybody was nervous about speaking in one way or another. It was a very small group (only 6 people in total), so it wasn't too overwhelming. And you guys were right, there was nothing religious about the whole thing.

I really liked the format. Everybody gets a small task depending on how long they have been in the group. For example if you've only been in the group for a short time, you could get the task of timing the speeches.
They start out by a short introduction, and then several people give a speech (that is completely voluntary, you don't have to do it if you don't feel ready).
After that came a part called 'Table topics', which I really liked and I think would be helpful for a lot of us. One person introduces a broad topic in a short 2-3 minute speech, and then the other members can volunteer to talk about that subject off the top of their heads for about 1-2 minutes each. I wasn't sure if I would do it, but after hearing everybody else do their speech and having had some time to get relaxed, I did a 1 minute speech too :) Happy!

I am definitely going to these meetings more often. I think this will really help with getting used to feeling more comfortable speaking.

Ebbe

I came in here thinking that it was a joke thread about toast...thanks a lot.

Is this what you were looking for?
410270-194157-powdered-toast-man_super.jpg

I suggest that you go ahead with it. It sounds like a really great idea to become more comfortable with speaking. And I'm sure the people there will be great and supportive.

limetree

That sounds interesting, I'd love to snoop but I wouldn't be ready to participate. What sorts of topics were brought up?