Tips Chronic Blushing?

Hey guys. I'm a blusher and a sweater. I was going to drop out of college so many times in the recent past... it's becoming so difficult to continue. And yet I keep going! I didn't know how I was going to face another semester, but I applied for a scholarship anyways and to my delight/horror I got the scholarship. That just locked me into a year of free school and a myriad of nerve-racking situations. I unfortunately have a couple of professors who are just... GREAT. They tease me incessantly about the blushing and it's gotten to the point that I have panic attacks upon seeing them! These two male professors happen to be friends too, and I ran into them together a little while back. I was so nervous I was going to turn red in front of both of them! I felt like I was going to pass out and all my words came out all fumbled. I didn't turn red, but it was almost just as embarrassing.

Not only that, but I had another strange experience when I was in class. My professor put me on the spot and asked me a couple of questions. And instead of simply turning red, I felt blood rush up my neck and into the back of my head... throbbing heat with every heart beat. The heat slowly began to spread into my face, under my eyes and then down into my cheeks. Usually I just flush really bad, go beet red and then it goes away. But this time I knew it wouldn't. I answered all his questions the best I could while all this was happening and then he finally turned to another student. My face filled with the heat and it just stayed in my face for another 2 hours.

So anyways, those are my recent horror stories. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips that help? I think this is the best place to ask since everyone who has experienced it has different ways of dealing with it. I usually take ice water with me to class and I'm taking 5-htp and something called "Asian Flush Formula" (same ingredients as Eredicane but half the price!). These all have helped so so much... I'm 60-70% better than I was last year. Even last spring. So I know I'm doing something right. But there's just those few times I have absolutely no control...

Radiolover

From your picture I would say you're female. If so, it might be helpful to try what I recently discovered after suffering from uncontrollable blushing for around 30 years. It is simple really. Foundation to cover the face. A high-pigment foundation really does conceal the blush. Knowing that my blush will not be conspicuous and make me look like I'm panicking gives me the confidence to do what before gave me moments of terror and dismay. Now I can teach my classes and talk to people in social situations much more easily than before. Ironically now that it won't be obvious when I blush, I hardly blush at all - it still happens now and then but I don't beat myself up about it because I know it is not making me look abnormal. I still feel uncomfortable talking in front of people to some extent but doing so is much easier than before. And the makeup actually makes my face look better in a way - though I believe it is quite evident to someone looking at me that I'm wearing it. But I don't mind because - well it's considered normal for a woman. I don't know why I didn't think of this method of dealing with blushing earlier (I'd tried beta blockers, cold water, wearing light clothes to make my body feel cold, etc. - but either there were disadvantages to these things or they didn't work that well). I have to thank this website where I saw a thread about it. It's not an understatement to say this use of foundation has been revolutionary for me.

MUBRG

There are a small number of researchers who study blushing in order to help people who suffer erythrophobia. A really good book to go to in order to discover what is known currently is - Crozier, W. R., & de Jong, P. J. (Eds.). (2013). The Psychological Significance of the Blush. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. It will give a good overview on all the research by those researchers working in the field. In our university we are also working on research, with the current study (if you are interested) accessed via the Facebook page "Erythrophobia / érythrophobie" .