this is ruining my life

mumof2

im a mother of 2 kids and iv never been to a doctor about my problems because i ignore them but they are ruining my life, its clearly having effects on my kids and husband. i feel stupid opening up to other family because when i have tried to in the past its not taken seriously.

im not sure how i feel but these are some of the things that control my life to the point of isolation!

OCD- cleaning! im obsessed, hot washing, vacuming up to 4 times a day, toilet cleaning up to 5 times a day, washing my kidshands, changing their clothes when my house is spotless i become happy and i can sit down and relax the feeling is really good but its tiring me. i dont take the kids to child care, indoor play groups, interaction with other kids except family doesnt happen. 1 of my childen are school age this mile stone thats suposed to be wonderful, has caused me terrible anxiety. im worry- stress every day wondering if he will fall sick. my phobia is vomit, i had not nice dreams im vomiting or someone else near me is. this happens around 3 times a month.. comes to the point i often ask my child if hes feeling ok. i cant live like this anymore and im noticing its getting worse i just dont know what to do.. i know what im thinking is STUPID! but i cant help to feel and think the way i do!.
i get anxiety standing in line at the supermarket, at public groups like partys, i avoid going to places alone even if i have one of my kids with me i feel better about going. im sort of anti social i feel smothered if i am having a busy week or having too much interaction with other people it causes me stress. i cant go into service stations the thought gives me a bit of anxiety too many people in and out and im paranoid filling my car up. before i had kids i avoided applying for jobs that involved alot of communication with people. i prefer factory, cleaning jobs.

some history. biological father had bi polar, drug abuse, OCD like behavious and commited suicide. my uncle had depression and also commited suicide. im not suicidal!!!! i make that clear but when i read ifo about anxiety- depression is also talked about and does this sort of disorders run in familys??

alot of my problems are obsessive thinking to the point i get no sleep. i also experiance waves... for a few weeks i will feel like i have it all together and my symptoms are not much. if im having a bad wave i will not leave the house, not take my child to school for a week and something simple like going to the shop to buy milk causes me anxiety! im having a downer last couple of weeks, i suffer from psoriasis, im in the middle of selling my house and ontop of everything else i feel like im not coping!

thankyou for listening

Last edited:

Danfalc

Banned
does this sort of disorders run in familys??

Hi Mumof2. First I just want to say try and not feel stupid for thinking the way you do or for the problems you have. It's not a sign of stupidity, I guess it's more like an injury, but from stress and mental hardship rather than just physical. But yeah it's not a character defect or a weakness imo so it's important you try and be understanding towards yourself about it. It's not your fault!

Anyway about disorders running in a family. Just because say a parent has a disorder, doesn't mean the children will automatically get it. But I think when you grow up with parents who have problems it's just another thing which can add to the various triggers for mental health issues.

How do you feel about speaking to a doctor? I think it can be very daunting of an idea at first, I felt pathetic and like I didn't deserve help when I first got ill. I also worried I was just a mess rather than understanding I had problems which needed help.

But I think speaking to a doctor could really help you, for a start it's nice to open up about these things when you have been trying to contain them and cope on your own. And your doctor may be able to suggest therapy or medication which could really help.

Mokkat

Psychological disorders are definitely caused by the genes to some extend.

very good advice about seeing a doctor Danfalc. The hardest part about having anxiety, OCD or something else is having to live with it - I think you should see a doctor about it, and at some point ask him to explain to your husband just how real and serious it is. If you try to cope alone it will just make you depressed and alienate you form your family