The value of anti-therapy

Earthcircle

I have had lots of therapy with no benefit. Well over a decade, in fact. Now, I find an article -- in Psychology Today, no less -- which says that dwelling on the bad things in the past actually makes mental illness worse. This is the opposite of what I was led to believe in psychotherapy, where dwelling on bad things in the past was supposedly crucial for overcoming mental illness.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...201602/5-ways-quit-replaying-painful-memories

Sacrament

I wouldn't say dwelling on anything is positive. What's probably positive is dealing with whatever happened in the past, solving issues from the past, and making peace with whatever happened before the present moment, otherwise you're stuck in something that happened a long time ago and cannot move on and successfuly live your life.

Kiwong

There's different kinds of therapy. And there are therapists who are good at what they do, and those that aren't not so good. I'm trying exposure therapy, and it focuses on dealing with anxiety in the present, not past thoughts.

I will say that some forms of CBT I have tried, are like going over the same old ground in the past, and I haven't found those kinds of therapy helpful.

Earthcircle

I feel that therapy has helped me to remain in the past and not reach adulthood or any kind of fulfilling life. Now I am 51, and I don't feel there is much hope left.