The power of now

Lexmark

Just finished reading an amazing book " practising the power of now " by echart tolle
Now i have tried every form of therapy just about every medication and even a few books ( i hate reading) to try and deal with sociol phobia with never any success. But reading this book has......i dont know how to explain it but it feels almost like a start of a transformation. I have SP really bad and suffer the obsessive thinking and agrophobia like a lot of you so im not saying im cured or anything but i beleive I have found something that with practise i can actually beat this!
I REALLY recomend it

Lexmark

Practising the power of now
By Eckhart Tolle
Its about how to free onself from the enslavement of the mind. Explains how we are not the thinker. Fundamentally I guess its about enlightenment but dont let that put you off its not religious or anything Like that.
Here is part of the book

" The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the thinker; The moment you start watching the thinker ( as in if u stoped reading this and just sat there and listend to your thoughts ) a higher leval of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, innerpeace - arise from beyond the mind. "

sketchy24

That title sounds familiar... is this the same or same author of the book Oprah is having orgasms about? It sounds similar and that whole "church of Oprah" stuff shes doing. Very New Age like...

Zor

I haven't read the book this thread is about, but I have experience with self help books.

I like self help books. They always make you feel good right after you read them. The tricky thing is to keep that positive buzz going.

If you find a self help book that works for you, I would suggest that you keep reading it over again even after you've finished reading it. It feels like a waste of time, but unless you truly absorb the message of the author, whatever that may be, it is going to fade and disappear. For me, the self help high usually disappears within a week of reading a good self help book.

Who knows? Maybe if we read one of those books like five times in a row, I could keep the benefits of the book for years.

Lexmark

Yeah someone mentioned something about oprah and the book to me but I dont watch her show so Im not sure.
And its not a self help book.
If you read it and " get it " you will have it for life.
I actually went into a store yesterday anxiety free i couldnt beleive it. Hasent happend in 10 years. :D

shield

A lot of people like this book. I personally think it's a waste of time. Every time any1 reads it they are like; wow this is amazing. But they still don't get over sp. There are real doctors out there use them. This spiritual self-help stuff doesn't work in the long run imo

elProscrito

A lot of people like this book. I personally think it's a waste of time. Every time any1 reads it they are like; wow this is amazing. But they still don't get over sp. There are real doctors out there use them. This spiritual self-help stuff doesn't work in the long run imo
i totally agree. many times when i read a book i'm like: wow, this is finally the piece of truth i was waiting for, my SA is cured bla bla. but in the long run nothing changes. i'm just the old self.[/code]

desperatehousewife

I am sorry to say this but books can not sove SA problem...Councelors are trying to heal it...The book's positive effect does not continue long.It is real, believe me and do not waste your time by reading books and go to a doctor...

phoenix1

I think the problem with eckhart tolle and what he advocates is that it really isn't sustainable and long term for the sheer majority of people. He advocates a type of mindfulness that basically doesn't acknowledge both the good and the bad in life that ultimately creates both incredible pain and incredible joy.

Talking from personal experience, the problem with 'not listening' to your ego is that at first you feel some relief because you arn't reinforcing the pain. After a while you just feel lost and confused and eventually you always end up beating up on yourself again because you need to feel that control again, no matter how painful it is.

If you ask or look at people who have really recovered from social anxiety, they all have one thing in common. Their desire to be more social is greater than their desire to stop the pain of social anxiety. The joy of social interaction is greater than the pain of failing or looking foolish. You can't numb both sides and expect to have long term results. We are humans of passion and pain. The ego is as much helpful to a fulfilled life as it is hurtful.

shield

desperatehousewife said:
I am sorry to say this but books can not sove SA problem...

Spot on. Lexmark do you still feel that the book is helping you or do you feel your SA has returned?

Lexmark

Interesting post phoenix 1
To answer your question shield I find that its something I can use and it has definelty helpes in some areas. My problem is that even if i think there is something that would help I just dont give a shit about myself to stick with it 100%
I have a family member that read the book an it absolutly changed her life and carrys it around with her every day.
I dont think I will be able to get us much out of it but using this book along with meditation and sociol anxiety support groups that I have signed up for im hoping I can finally get some releif.