The Forest Queen

Starry

I wrote this a few years ago, and after mentioning to someone on here I decided to go back to it and check it through again... I was expecting to be very disappointed with it, but actually, I'm much happier with it than I expected, it needed very little reworking! Which is stunning! lol

It's a short story inspired by lyrics in the song "The Hanging Tree" by Arena (Although, a little inspiration also comes from the song "Waiting for the Flood" by the same band).

I thought I'd share it here...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The Forest Queen

The forest floor seemed to breathe as the dappled pattern of the pale, green light shifted with the sway of each overhead branch. The canopy whispered in the language of the trees, words full of concern for the fate of the world. The King stood in the small dell facing the forest Queen, his heart heavy with anxiety. Slowly the rough bark of the mighty oak began to shift and merge as gradually, the face of a woman appeared within it. The face was one of supreme beauty; Not a superficial beauty such as the world is now apt to appreciate, but a beauty full of love, courage and wisdom. True beauty. The King, moved by emotion, fell to his knee in humble respect of the Queen. She smiled slightly, though the mark of anxiety could just be seen upon her countenance. Her voice, soft and gentle as a summer breeze, now spoke.
“Arise, King Rillion, for we are equals. I offer my deepest gratitude to you for responding to my call so hastily.”

The King, once more rising to his feet, bowed his head slightly,
“My Queen, the oldest and wisest being in existence upon the Earth, how could I not but answer to your call as soon as it reached my ears? For generations those of true blood have had it inscribed upon their hearts that when the Heart of the Great tree, the Queen of the Forest, calls we must answer. To fail to do so would prove us unworthy of our heritage.”

The face in the oak smiled gently, nodding slowly in warm approval, before the signs of anxiety once more furrowed her brow.
“Alas! Times are grave, and I wish only that it had proven to be a happier time when I called upon you, but we both are aware of the gravity of the situation. Every day evil advances further; I can feel the heart of the World herself crying out in pain. She is crying for help. She is dying…”
She stopped short, closing her eyes for a moment. She sighed gently, causing the canopy to wave more vigorously. Flashes of sunlight pierced through then vanished again in kaleidoscopic fashion. The whole forest whispered louder and seemed to share in her sigh.

Stepping backwards with a sharp and audible inhalation of breath, King Rillion, even more keenly aware than others of his generation of just how wretched times had become for all life, was taken aback by the shocking news that the Heart of the World herself was dying. Visions flashed into his mind, terrifying him. He saw death and destruction as the forces of evil advanced. He saw the earth turn red as the blood of the innocent covered the land and washed into the once beautiful rivers. There were survivors, but only among those who were aligned with the evil forces, or those foolish and ignorant enough to have their eyes covered over by the web of lies spun for them. Finally he saw the Earth die. He saw an image of complete and utter destruction. He cried out in pain and fell to the ground clutching at his chest as the meaning of his vision took full possession of his heart and mind.

“No! Tell me the future is not as I have seen! Tell me the future is not dead and decayed!”
He pleaded, clawing at the ground in desperation, skeletons of fallen leaves crumbling between his fingers as he knew the skeletons of the innocent would crumble between the fingers of evil.

Softly and gently, with pity in her voice, the Forest Queen, in simple words explained all that must be done if there was to be any hope for the world. She spoke of the highest mountain peak which lay many miles away, upon which the entrance to the chamber where the Heart of the World lay dying was to be found. She could not speak for all that King Rillion had seen, it was his vision and his alone, but a solitary leaf fell from her bough, mirroring the lone tear which trickled down the King’s face, melting into his beard.

“But please, tell me, what I have seen, will it come to pass? Or is there hope? Can all be well in the end, my Queen?”
King Rillion begged.

The Forest Queen offered a few short words to stand as the plinth upon which all his hopes rested. The words imprinted themselves upon his heart and within his mind. They rung loudly in his ears and he saw them when he closed his eyes. Every breath he inhaled held the words upon them.

“The future is not set, not all can be seen.”

Rillion looked once more upon the beautiful visage of the Forest Queen before mounting his horse. He trotted from the clearing, the only sound being that of the hoofs of his horse upon the decaying leaf litter and the whispering of the trees.

As he trotted onward heavy of heart, the burden of his quest weighing heavily upon him, the Forest grew dark around him. He could sense the presence of the Forest Queen protecting him, but felt also the forces of evil lurking in the shadows, taking joy in the darkness which so concealed them from his sight. His horse trotted resolutely on, ignoring the sharp shivers of dread that flew up his spine at the sound of a cracking twig or a rustling leaf.

The journey was unbearably long and arduous. Months passed, the summer died and a chilly autumn took its place. Leaves withered upon their branches. The heads of flowers, once so striking in their beauty, shrivelled and decayed. Usually autumn represented a time of sleep, a temporary cessation of visible life, but this autumn felt like the final death throes or a tortured spirit were taking place. The trees, far from peacefully relaxing into slumber were weak and dying. The flowers, whose seed pods usually offered hope of new life in the spring, fell dead and barren. No hope of life rising, phoenix like from the ashes of this all-consuming death.

Cold rain beat heavily down upon the King’s weatherworn head, soaking his long bedraggled hair and dishevelled beard. A bitter, violent wind tugged and pulled at his cloak as it hung, now torn and tattered about his slumped shoulders. His hands, so calloused and weather beaten held loosely onto the reins of his exhausted steed. His eyes gazed dully ahead, barely a spark of life remaining within them. His body, now a shadow of what it had once been: Once strong and muscular, now thin and weak, exhausted by his ordeals. Yet, his heart still beat strongly within him. Recalling the parting words of the Forest Queen he straightened his back and sat firmly and resolutely upright in the saddle. For the first time in weeks, he set his gaze upon the horizon. There it was! at last his end was in sight. Rising, dark and sombre against the gloom of the water laden sky lay the mountain. With newfound strength, hope and courage surging through his veins he patted his horse’s shoulder as a ghost of a smile played upon his lips.
“We’re nearly there old boy! Nearly there,” he whispered.
Spurred on by the closeness of his goal and the refreshing energy it brought with it, he galloped forwards.

Suddenly, there came from the left, a hideous, blood-curdling scream. Before he was aware of what was happening, King Rillion was thrown from his horse, a sword blade pressing hard and cold into his throat. He gazed into the vile face of a minion of the Dark Lord. Fighting with all his might he freed himself from the sword’s bite before it had the chance to draw blood. Instantly he was upon his feet, sword drawn from sheath and ready for battle. Three more minions approached, creeping forward with their eyes glowing evilly. The wind grew stronger and howled loudly, drowning out the terrified neighing of his horse as the minions set upon it with their teeth, claws and blades. Rillion roared loudly and dived into the evil band, slashing this way and that with his sword. Dark blood splashed upon his face, but the howling wind and thunderous drumming of the rain made it impossible to hear anything but the beating of the blood within his own ears. Time seemed to pass inexplicably slowly as he saw each of the minions in turn open their disgusting mouths in an inaudible scream as he dispatched with their lives.

Panting heavily, with the contemptible corpses scattered about, he fell upon his horse lying bleeding in the thick, black mud. It was too late. His life had ebbed from him as the last minion had been killed. Rillion patted the strong shoulder of his loyal companion one last time, then with his tears lost in the rain, trudged on, determined to complete his mission.

Hours which seemed endless passed. Dark day became darker night. Endless night merged imperceptibly with endless day. Dying days diminished into dead nights. The torrential downpour continued unceasingly, pelting his skin with burning stings like an army of scorpions falling from the sky. Still Rillion stumbled on. The wind bit at his skin viciously. Still he continued. Nothing could prevent him from completing his task. He tripped and fell, gashing his hand upon a jagged rock. Bright, scarlet blood flowed freely upon the ground. “Life must continue,” he thought to himself, quickly tearing a strip from his ragged cloak with which to bandage his hand before regaining his feet.

The mountain loomed tall, seemingly summitless above him. He began his climb. It seemed to him that all time stood still; certainly he had no perception of its passage - swift or slow he could not fathom.

Finally, battered and bleeding, he attained the summit and collapsed in a heap, too exhausted to pay heed to the sharpness of the terrain pressing cruelly into his flesh or the agony which racked through him as he drew breath. After minutes which seemed like hours, or hours which passed like minutes, he raised his head to view the world.

An agonised cry escaped his mouth as he looked in horror at the turmoil of the dying world. Whole swathes of land were changed to red with the blood of murdered innocent life. No greenery remained; Only thorns and stones among which lay the remains of millions. Tears flowed freely from his eyes as he screamed out angrily to the wind.

Regaining some composure he searched the lonely peak for the entrance he knew he must find. Finding it he plunged down into the depths of the mountain. The passage was so silent that the sound of his footsteps seemed deafening. The blinding, suffocating darkness hung heavily around him, almost weighing him down. But, gradually the darkness seemed to lessen. The faintest of glows seemed to illuminate the way. The light almost imperceptible at first, grew brighter with each step until he was certain that it was no mere figment of his tortured imagination. It was then that he noticed that the ethereal glow pulsated slowly. It was the heartbeat of the World. It was evidently growing weak as the pulsation was painfully slow.

Spurred on, he ran forward into the pale blue luminescence until it seemed to envelop him completely. He bathed in the cool radiance feeling the energy of the Earth upon his skin; refreshing him, restoring life to his near dead soul.

He reached out his hand to the source of light; To the very heart of the earth. Gently he touched the large gem stone. As he did so, it sung quietly in a beautiful, clear flute-like voice. Such was the wonder and beauty of the sound that King Rillion was moved to tears. Wiping his hands clean on his cloak, he took hold of the heart and concealed it carefully within his attire, close to his own heart. Instantly he was plunged once more into the blackest, blinding darkness. In haste, he stumbled back up the long passageway which he had descended. No longer feeling tired due to the healing effects of the Earth’s heart, he ran as fast as he was able until a grey dull light signalled that the exit was within sight.

He burst forth from the exit and glared down at the destruction and desolation which filled the land as far as his eyes could see.
“You will not win!” he shouted at the top of his voice. “Evil can never triumph over good!”

He ran down the mountain, thorns and rocks tearing at his clothes and skin. Blood ran down his strong legs, though he was not aware of any pain. Relentlessly he ran. Day and night, night and day. Through the wind, through the rain, through blizzards until finally he was once again within the Forest Queen’s kingdom. Now though, it proved unrecognisable. All the trees were dead and decaying, there was no sound of bird song or the usual scurrying of small creatures. Death hung heavy in the air, corrupting all with its foul stench.

Reverently, he approached the mighty oak and called softly to the Forest Queen. Little by little the bark shifted and merged, but this time the visage, though still wondrously beautiful, seemed aged and ill.
“King Rillion, you have fulfilled your mission! and not a moment too soon. Indeed, I fear we may be too late,” whispered the Queen, her voice so frail and weak that it proved heart rending to the King, who fell to his knees grasping his head sorrowfully in his hands.

Without uttering a syllable, he removed the precious, glowing gem from beneath his raiment.
“Place it within me,” commanded the Queen as the trunk of the great oak split open revealing her own gemstone-like heart.

The King stood and placed the heart of the World gently upon the Queen’s pale green heart. The two gems, in a flash, melted together to form a single gem. The light grew brighter. The pulsations stronger. The entire forest was aglow. Shadows of evil creatures could be seen fleeing between the decaying trees, squealing in displeasure. The mournful greyness returned as the split in the great oak's trunk slowly resealed.

Suddenly there was a deafening crack. The tree tore apart and crashed to the ground. The entire earth shook violently with a loud rumbling as all went black. The wind howled more ferociously than ever. Decaying trees crashed to the ground as it split apart tumultuously. King Rillion fell to the ground, terrified.
“Too late! I was too late!” he cried out in anguish. “The Queen is dead! The Earth is dead!”

As he lay in silence amongst the chaos, gradually the wind hushed and the ground ceased to shake. The sky brightened as the warm glow of the sun penetrated to the surface of the earth for the first time in many months. Then a most unexpected sound; the wondrous, beautiful and ethereal voice of the Forest Queen spoke to him.

“Rillion, do not mourn! for I am not dead! My heart may have been shattered to save the Earth, but in sacrificing myself and merging with the Earth’s heart, I have been given a new, higher state of life. I have shown all creation what Her heart is worth. Evil is no more! for it perished with the great force of the Earth’s magnificent rebirth. My spirit now flies upon the wind to watch over the entire world, to protect it from harm. Your name shall be always remembered, King Rillion the Great, the loyal, the brave. Thanks to your wondrous courage and strength we have no more to fear. Life has fought against death and has come forth the victor! Stronger than before! More vibrant and beautiful than before!”

King Rillion climbed to his feet. Raising his hands high above his head he gave a cry of delighted relief. Looking around, he saw that destruction was not complete. Here a leaf peeped out from under a rock, there a mouse scurried hurridly between the dead branches scattered upon the earth.

The winter remained cold and dull, but flashes of glorious sunlight revealed that life was once more active. Slowly the earth warmed as spring slowly drew slumbering life back to wakefulness, healing the damage wrought upon it by the forces of evil.

The Earth stands now more verdant than ever. All life renewed. Crystal clear water flows from the peaks of breathtaking mountains, into lush valleys, teeming with plants and animals, then out into the bluest ocean. Sunlight plays and dances upon each ripple, sparkling like the stars in the velvety night sky. The warm air is beautifully fragranced by the scent of new flowers, each one being a sight most wonderful to behold. The songs of water, insects and birds harmonising together brings a sense of delight and wonder to all hearts. Love, Truth and Peace rule the land through the noble hand of King Rillion. All are happy. All are content. All is in harmony. All is right with the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

hidwell

You are very talented a good story, at first I thought it was like Charles Dickens A Christmas carol and then more like J.R.R Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. You can't go wrong with good versus evil. :)

Starry

You are very talented a good story, at first I thought it was like Charles Dickens A Christmas carol and then more like J.R.R Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. You can't go wrong with good versus evil. :)

Why, thank you very much, kind Sir! That is high praise indeed! I love Tolkien's works, so you've made me very happy with your comment. ^_^

All feedback is very much appreciated...

Duzmiu

i dont do much reading as i struggle to get into it but this was good, managed to read it all and picture everything going on. you have some talent there :)