The feeling of not being there

Heartbeat

It almost feels like im not there its weird

I can totally relate to the feeling of not being there

I just pulled these quotes out of the thread on going out. Who else experiences this one?

It can happen to me anywhere, and it seems to be a state of mind or mood I can't control. Some days I just wake up like that. It's weird because you might have been perfectly OK the day before and then you become this disconnected stranger. I remember noticing it as a teenager. I'd think I was beginning to understand myself then the next day I'd wake up as someone else I couldn't recognise. Like a different mind in the same body.

It's really difficult when it happens at work or when you're in that state and meet someone you know. Does anyone have any tips for controlling it?

ShiJai

It's called disassociation, brought on by anxiety and depression.
The only tip I know of is to talk to a shrink... Sorry.

ShiJai.

r0ck0ut04

I have it right now ive gotten it on and off for the last few years. The only thing I know that works for its is keeping busy and time, eventually it goes away or you dont notice it anymore. The more you think about it the worse it is.

Heartbeat

Thanks for the replies everyone. Strange it can happen when I don't even feel depressed and anxious particularly, but maybe that just means depression and anxiety is such a part of life I'm no longer conscious of it.

Heartbeat

Thanks for the replies everyone. Strange it can happen when I don't even feel depressed and anxious particularly, but maybe that just means depression and anxiety is such a part of life I'm no longer conscious of it.

Reholla

Yeah I experience these feelings. And like you said, its weird b/c youd be fine the day before, and just wake up completely different. But you definitely have your good days and bad days.

Even though these "not there" feelings seem random, its actually your bodies way of reacting to anxiety. I learned this in a psych. class, and like a post above mine said, its called disassociation. After your body's continously running on overdrive for hours on end (your nervous system is working double time, and this is why you get physical symptoms; i.e., sweating, rapid heartbeat, dry mouth, need to go to the bathroom). So after your anxiety causes your body to become so wired, its response and reaction to this is to kind of shut down. Thats why you get a "not there" vegetable state feeling. This is actually a good sign, and know that your body's almost done reacting to the anxiety.

Even tho i absolutely hate this feeling, possibly worse than the anxiety itself, it helps to know theres a purpose and its doing some good!