Last edited:

SilentBird

Split Enz autographs

Split+Enz.jpg

Neil Finn, Eddie Rayner, Nigel Griggs, Paul Hester, Tim Finn & Noel Crombie
Albert Park, Te Awamutu - 7 January 1984

Last edited:

Dusti

Video was great Silent Bird. A lot of good stuff in there. I love it when you are looking at the big picture and something small shows up. In this case, buried in all of the good advice and words of wisdom, George mentions that he "loves the Individual but hates the group". That rings so true with me. I feel a bit better about myself -- now I realize that I don't dislike people -- I just dislike them when they come together as a group. I love the one-on-one thing, there's nothing like it.

SilentBird

^ Thanks Dusti, I'm glad you liked the post and that you reminded me of the quote by George Carlin.

George mentions that he "loves the Individual but hates the group". That rings so true with me. I feel a bit better about myself -- now I realize that I don't dislike people -- I just dislike them when they come together as a group. I love the one-on-one thing, there's nothing like it.

Me too :)

SilentBird

P h i l i p K. D i c k q u o t e

a+scanner+darkly.jpg

What does a scanner see? he asked himself. I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me—into us—clearly or darkly? I hope it does, he thought, see clearly, because I can’t any longer these days see into myself. I see only murk. Murk outside; murk inside. I hope, for everyone’s sake, the scanners do better. Because, he thought, if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I myself do, then we are cursed, cursed again and like we have been continually, and we’ll wind up dead this way, knowing very little and getting that little fragment wrong too.
- A Scanner Darkly

Last edited:

SilentBird

This is not a pipe

The+Treachery+of+Images.jpg

The Treachery of Images by René Magritte

The+False+Mirror.jpg

The False Mirror by René Magritte

Last edited:

SilentBird

In dreams

Spellbound and intoxicated by a dream, fading into another, wondering if I am awake. Is this real?

I am hungover by images and feelings. What do they mean? Is it some sort of premonition? What I do know is that I can no longer deny the answer to the question that I ask myself.

Last edited:

SilentBird

I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake

I am not my Social Phobia
I am not my Avoidant Personality Disorder
I am not my Dysthymic Disorder
I am not my Bi-Polar Disorder

This is my life and it’s ending one minute at a time

Last edited:

SilentBird

Viktor E. Frankl quotes

Man's%2Bsearch%2Bfor%2Bmeaning.jpg

One of the prisoners, who on his arrival marched with a long column of new inmates from the station to the camp, told me later that he had felt as though he were marching at his own funeral. His life had seemed to him absolutely without future. He regarded it as over and done, as if he had already died. This feeling of lifelessness was intensified by other causes: in time, it was the limitlessness of the term of imprisonment which was most acutely felt; in space, the narrow limits of the prison. Anything outside the barbed wire became remote-out of reach and, in a way, unreal. The events and the people outside, all the normal life there, had a ghostly aspect for the prisoner. The outside life, that is, as much as he could see of it, appeared to him almost as it might have to a dead man who looked at it from another world.

This uniqueness and singleness which distinguishes each individual and gives a meaning to his existence has a bearing on creative work as much as it does on human love. When the impossibility of replacing a person is realized, it allows the responsibility which a man has for his existence and its continuance to appear in all its magnitude. A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the “why” for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any “how.”
- Man's Search For Meaning

Last edited:

SilentBird

Yeah nah, fair enough

This American's got us Kiwis sussed
AIMEE GULLIVER

9646922.jpg

Heaps of Kiwis stocking up at the dairy to fill the chilly bin before heading to the bach in jandals and togs have proven a bit of a mare for foreigners to understand.

But it's all sweet thanks to one young adventuress.

American Liz Carlson has put together a blog post titled "Me Talk Kiwi One Day" to assist understanding New Zealanders' dubious vowel pronunciation.

She has also provided a vocabulary list for some of our more obscure turns of phrase.

It all started the first day Carlson did a load of washing in Wellington, or "laundry" as she calls it, and asked her flatmates where to hang it out.

Told to head outside to the clothesline, Liz had her first encounter with New Zealanders pronouncing "e" as "i", and expected to come across pigs on the ground while hanging up her clothes.

"Blinking, surely I heard them wrong. "Pigs? What do you mean 'pigs'? Why are there pigs outside?" I asked.

"Looking at me like I was insane, "PIGS! You know PIGS that you hang your clothes with. PIGS!" the flatmates said in unison, pinching their fingers together in motion.

"Oh my god, you mean PEGS."

The peg incident was the beginning of a slippery downhill slope for Carlson trying to, and failing, to understand the New Zealand vernacular, she said.

"In general, I'd like to think I'm pretty apt at understanding other accents and languages.

"I've studied many languages and worked teaching and tutoring English.

"But sometimes, like with the case of the mysterious pigs in Kelburn, Wellington, all understanding completely eludes me."

After months of mental notes, Carlson compiled a list of her 25 favourite and most heard New Zealand words and phrases.

Food items that caused confusion were the national dessert, the pavlova, along with chocolate fish, kumara, capsicums, and feijoas.

Carlson said she "nearly died" when she heard "wop-wops" being used for the first time.

New Zealand gave a whole new meaning to the expression, she said, having come across towns in the South Island with a population of five.

As for Waikikamukau – it's not a swift kick delivered to a bovine, but a placeholder name for any remote rural town, a joking reference to the amount of placenames in New Zealand that begin with "Wai".

With a decent number of colloquial phrases explained, it is left to individuals to decipher what Carlson calls the "Great New Zealand Vowel Shift" on a case-by-case basis.

She is just lucky her first encounter with the "e" to "i" vowel shift was with the pegs, and not an invitation to join her flatmates on the deck.

This American's got us Kiwis sussed - oddstuff | Stuff.co.nz

Last edited: