The Dare Thread!

LilMissTragic

Ok people, I'm writing this because someone else was going to do this but he didn't get round to it (you know who you are).
This is going to set you goals on a weekly basis. I suppose it all depends on how bad your SP is wether or not you will do some of the goals set.
Righty, this weeks goal:
Make at least one phone call to directory inquiries asking for the number to your local sports centre.
Its not something we really want to know but for those of you that hate using the phone it will be a challenge. Come back and tell us wether or not you managed it and how difficult or easy you found it.
Good Luck people. I hope you all have a go :)

wistful_dementia

I can force myself to make a phone call with only mild stress (as long as it is short and to the point)... but, my gawd, ask me to talk out loud or hold a conversation in public and I feel like a complete wierdo. I know I must blush, because my face turns hot... and someone mentioned it to me before. Also, I go through the usual self-conciousness and extreme anxiety... just before I bolt out of the door. But, I did manage to sit with some of my classmates to discuss a class project at starbucks yesterday. I sat there and on rare occasions I even spoke a word or two.... this went on for about 30mins before I had to bolt. Yay me!

Tris

Okay, I think this could work. its an awesome idea. I think i got the phone thing down though, last month i answerd over 6,000 calls at work. so ill wait till you post another one. =)

Yossarian

Yay, I know who I am too Traz :D Good for you starting this thread. Does phoning the water and electric companies count? I gotta phone them anyway, boo.

LilMissTragic

Yoss, if your terrible with phones then yeh, any company will do, so long as you do it :)...but we will still love you if you dont :)

Anonymous

ooooooo a dare thread!!!!!!! how cute... what if you dont want the number to ur local sports center :?:

tommydog

hey i like this this is a good idea :lol:

my phone thingy lingered with me even after i was doing pretty ok with the sp, anyways so i got a job in an office this was like 3 years ago or whatever, and yer that was it my phobia was gone after a few days, cause the boss demanded i make phonecall after phonecall, and it had to be done immedietly, so i didnt have much choice in the matter really, that fixed that phobia right up :D

LilMissTragic

See you phone phobics...if tommy can do it then you sure as hell can. If not then send me your phone number and I will ring you and pester you to make a call...oh, hang on, you wont answer will you?...lol
Anyways, has anyone had a go yet?

-Jp

i made a phone call today while i was in a down mood and i sounded kind of unfriendly while i wasn't trying to be but it didn't bother me.
it's life, it happens to everybody. only when you start worrying about it will hunt you.

besides that i made a habbit out of not avoiding anything.
it's easyer for me then doing things in particular to confront my SA because then i actualy have a goal besides the SA.

A few years ago i was a salesguy selling stocks over the phone. i actualy was the salesmen of the week at one time and recieved a bonus of 150€
donno how i did that lol....i had my good days.

normally i have trouble with feeling bad about myself over the phone though, about how i come across, it's just recently that it lessened and the stock job was different in that way. i had a clear goal and it was buisness.

specula

Anyone else done good....in anything?...at all?....lol

Ok, this is nothing to do with phones, but anyway...
Well, 3 wks ago I decided to go along to a jui-jitsu class, which I found out about thru my fresher’s fair. It took A LOT of courage for me to decide this, believe me, but i used to do karate and loved it, so i wanted to start up martial arts again. I didn't want my phobia to make me miss out on the opportunity again.
I had already missed the 1st session and I was worried about being the ‘newbie’. The day started off really badly cos first I went to the wrong building :? (it was being held in another college which is part of my uni) and searched all round, must’ve looked like a right weirdo, couldn’t find anything about the class anywhere, so i started to panic. Then I re-checked the address and realised that it was at a completely different building, which is also part of the same college. D'oh :?!

Anyways, so I finally find the place and walk in anxiously, and there are these guys (no girls!), about 5 of them, already training. The leader (called ‘Sensai’) asks if I’m here to join and then points me in the direction of the ladies so I can change. Well, I nearly legged it after that, cos I thought ‘no-one knows me, I could just escape now and I’d never see those ppl again’, but then I thought, ‘hey, I’ve come all this way (it’s in London) and it took me bloody ages to find the place, why give up now?’, so I got changed and went down to join them. And, guess what, I actually had a good time! I learnt some great stuff, and found out that half of the guys were new themselves and they weren’t intimidating or anything. They were very helpful when I got stuff wrong, which was quite frequent! :roll:

The anxiety started kicking in again, when afterwards they said that they usually all go and have a drink at a nearby pub and asked if I wanted to join them. Since I was sort of put on the spot, I said yes, but I was thinking ‘help!’ 8O. But I actually did ok and was able to hold down some conversations. And I had my drink there, which helped cos I get a really dry mouth when I’m anxious or stressed. It wasn’t alcohol tho, which is even better cos it meant that ppl were actually talking to ‘me’ (normally I need a few drinks to get me relaxed and talking).

Oh, and when I went along the next wk, there were a few more new ppl, inc some girls, which made me feel a lot better. So I’m gonna try and stick it out, cos I think I will benefit from the social interaction and, hey the exercise too! Plus the fact that I’m learning how to ‘block’ attacks and bring my attacker to the floor :D! Lol it’s great to kick ass :lol:! (sometimes).

Anyway, I just thought I’d share my ‘positive’ experience with you guys, maybe it’ll encourage some of you to join up for clubs and things. Good luck to everyone and don’t give up. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can! xx

ps. I still have a BIG phobia of telephones tho, and it ain't going away any time soon!! :roll:

tommydog

thats a great story specula, you did great congratulations. seperatly to that though, i think if you can you should really persist with the martial arts training it'l do you a world of good physically and mentally, and it will help your sp :)

LilMissTragic

GOLD STAR to Specula..though I'm a little jealous. I was supposed to be taking up Wazuquan Shaolin martial arts a couple of months ago. I went to watch with my fiance first. I loved the style but sadly it was a small class and a lot of the training involved was based on doing things one at a time. I nearly died, I could have done it if it was like a normal martial arts class but it was so different. I've been kicking myself ever since. Hopefully i will give it another go when I get a brave moment. I'll stick with learning from my fiance and my friend for now.

Yossarian

I know it's been a lil longer than a week but i eventually phoned the electric and water companies. I felt sick before hand but it all went ok. Now I have a £235 refund and will save about £90 a month :D

Yossarian

Oh Tris it's way better than birthday I've ever had :lol: I would invite you all out for a drink to celebrate.....but .....you know :lol:

LilMissTragic

<<<On her way to Yoss's house for a moo juice on ice!

Next Dare: When out, that is if you go out...Stop a stranger in the street and ask for the time.

I can already do this one so I decided to stop a stranger and ask her where she got her boots. We had a kinda nice little chat about it as it made her happy that someone had noticed and complimented her in some way. Even though I felt a little anxious and got pretty shaky I kinda enjoyed it. It made me feel good making someone else feel good.