The Cure for Social Phobia

XBeX

Please fucking listen to me. I found the cure for social phobia. It will take a while and its going to be very tough but it is worth it. Read the New Earth by Eckert Tolle. Please, just do it.

Len

It's not that difficult. The cure for social phobia is to destroy the earth. Mwahahah. Then no more society and no more phobia!

Who is with me? Who wants to be number 2?

Does the book come with a free map for strategically aligning weapons of mass destruction to destroy the earth?

Does the book come with a free money back guarantee if the earth is only partially destroyed?

Do we get free membership to a terrorist organisation?

I see this is your first post. Welcome to social phobia world. I am about to buy the book so will probably not speak to you again since I will be cured. My new website is going to be a forum on how to survive in a post-apocalyptic society.

Ciao amigo.
Len

XBeX

noo fucking listen seriously. either i have scitzophrenia or this book is the cure for social phobia. just fucking read it what have you got to lose. it will make sense just try it.

ReVeR

Len said:
It's not that difficult. The cure for social phobia is to destroy the earth. Mwahahah. Then no more society and no more phobia!

Who is with me? Who wants to be number 2?

Does the book come with a free map for strategically aligning weapons of mass destruction to destroy the earth?

Does the book come with a free money back guarantee if the earth is only partially destroyed?

Do we get free membership to a terrorist organisation?

Ciao amigo.
Len

lol I like the way you think Len!! 8) ..cool

well neways I'll have to take a look at that book you speak of
untill then I'll let you guys know wassup!!

SocialButterSlip

XBeX said:
Please fucking listen to me. I found the cure for social phobia. It will take a while and its going to be very tough but it is worth it. Read the New Earth by Eckert Tolle. Please, just do it.

LOL this is so surreal HAHAHAHA! I FOUND THE CURE! FUCKING LISTEN TO ME! HAHAHAHA :)

silverwolf

I am very sceptical. Some people post up their experience with this book. Everyone who reads Eckhart Tolle seems to think they are cured right after they have read one of his books then a few weeks later they're like 'damn I'm not'

Atlantis

Why ? What does it say that can cure you !? Or we will have to buy the book to know ?

I would say you are trying to sell that book !

di_L82

There might be some truth to what he says. Eckert Tolle has also written the book The Power of Now, whichs concept basically is that you should let negative thoughts pass through your mind instead of focusing on them. You can do this by meditating for instance. If you read the book it will make sence :)

I do not think though that the book in itself is a cure. A very troublesome thought might not be able to simply pass through you consciousness - for instance I am always going to be an outsider - unless you have dealt with that thought through analysing it.

A better book i think is overcoming social anxiety and shyness from Gillian Butler. It is a cognitive behavioral approach to getting over social anxiety.

Cheers

The New Earth is mostly about mindfulness. Mindfulness is a big part of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). However, ACT also uses your own values to guide and motivate you. I'd recommend an ACT self-help workbook like Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life in addition to Tolle's book. Once you know that most of your thoughts and feelings are from automatic natural processes, you still need to learn and practice overriding your thoughts and feelings with gentleness and understanding.

Here's a partial list of ACT self-help workbooks:

- Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life
- ACT on Life not on Anger: The New ACT Guide to Problem Anger
- The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using ACT
- The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Depression: Using ACT to Move Through Depression & Create a Life Worth Living
- Finding Life Beyond Trauma: Using ACT to Heal from Post-Traumatic Stress and Trauma-Related Problems
- Living Beyond Your Pain: Using ACT to Ease Chronic Pain
- The Worry Trap: How to Free Yourself from Worry & Anxiety using ACT
- The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living

By the way, ACT is the only thing that has helped me. Meds and CBT didn't help, they actually made me worse.

di_L82

sabbath92003 said:
By the way, ACT is the only thing that has helped me. Meds and CBT didn't help, they actually made me worse.

Hi sabbath,

Not to be critical, but i am curious about how ACT can help with a thought like "everone hates me"... How can you just let that pass through your mind if you believe its true?

I think mindfullness is really good, but if your underlying beliefs are screwed up, it cannot control the ship on its own...

di_L82 said:
Not to be critical, but i am curious about how ACT can help with a thought like "everone hates me"... How can you just let that pass through your mind if you believe its true?

I think mindfullness is really good, but if your underlying beliefs are screwed up, it cannot control the ship on its own...

Good question. Let's suppose I get this thought: "Everyone hates me". In CBT we learn that the thought is irrational, for many reasons. CBT would then have you "correct" the thought by saying to yourself "that thought is irrational, everyone doesn't hate me, some people like me". In ACT we learn to stop believing this thought, thru cognitive defusion and other techniques. But even if we don't truly stop believing this thought, ACT tells us not to focus on the thought (or belief) but instead focus on what the thought is keeping us from. In other words, we stop struggling with the thought and instead focus on the avoidance the thought creates. To counter avoidance, we use mindfulness, values, and finally just brute willpower to move our arms, legs and mouth in the direction we want. It takes some reading and lots of practice, but eventually you'll stop avoiding and start living. While you're living, you'll feel anger, depression, anxiety, happiness, confusion, etc. That's called being human. Tolle and ACT teach that we need to learn how to just be a being.

CBT had me debating myself all day. With ACT, I treat thoughts and feelings like an abused puppy. I don't debate them or struggle with them. By dropping my side of the rope in an anxiety tug-of-war, I win by default.

ACT and Tolle also teach that we need to learn to be non-judgmental to ourselves and others.

Using ACT I've learned to become response-able. Sure I still screw up, but like the Japanese proverb says: fall down 7 times, get up 8 times.

I've printed business cards with the ACT algorithm on one side (in colors) and the FEAR algorithm on the other side (in just black ink).

Fusion with your thoughts
Evaluation of experiences
Avoidance of your experiences
Reason giving for your behavior

XBeX

no no fuck all that shit listen i will explain to you. ok let me begin im 16 years old ive been diagnosed with like bipolar, social phobia, ocd whatever. i knew i had problems but i just couldnt put my finger on what it actually was. one day i read the power of now by eckert tolle. i was like oh my god. this is it. this is exactly what i need. its my thoughts i am not my thoughts it all makes sence. but of course this only lasted for a short while and i went back to my old self. then after months of hell i went through, the new earth came out. i figured what the hell ill read it. i read the whole thing in one day and once again it was like i was in this state of dumbfoundedness like it made so much sence i couldnt belive it. i was like this is the soultion for everything. ahhh im reallly sorry if i sound crazy right now but you gotta trust me. and as he says once you break through for the first time you cant reverse the process. if anyone wants to talk to me on aim or something just let me know. again sorry if i sound crazy.

XBeX

i mean either i truly am going crazy or i really did find the "answer". and i accept either one. every person i met i see them for who they really are. i see their ego. and i know its because of my social phobia that makes it so clear. my constant anaylzing of people normally. thats why im begging you guys that have the same problem as me to just give this a try. it is so funny when i see people i can pretty much predict what they are going to do. the bigger the ego the more they have to feed it. its just a ladder the people with the biggest ego at the top bascially will never be happy. you know that voice inside you that says well i think im happy but im not sure. thats your ego. i fucking sound like one of those homeless people on the side of the street saying the world is going to end but whatever. just give it a try please.

shield

one day i read the power of now by eckert tolle. i was like oh my god. this is it. this is exactly what i need. its my thoughts i am not my thoughts it all makes sence. but of course this only lasted for a short while and i went back to my old self

IMO you will go back to your old self in a few weeks. If you think you are cured 3 weeks from now post up and I will read the book. To be honest this doesn't add up. You can't just read a book and be cured life isn't that easy otherwise people wouldn't spend time researching these illnesses. CBT is the best thing we have right now for SP don't fall into the hype.

XBeX

ok im not cured i never said that it just all makes sence. it dosent matter i dont care anymore. once you can see everyone for who they truly are, there egos, it dosent matter. look take for example the second guy who posted here trying to be funny critizing me. thats his ego trying to get bigger. and then someone came in here and say "oh your so funny or whatever" yeah that just makes his ego bigger. im not trying to make fun of anybody or whatever im just saying this is what i see constantly. everyone has an ego and everyone wants to make theres bigger. people who are introverts or who have social phobia cant make their egos bigger in the real world because their egos are just overshadowed by everyone elses. thats why they come to internet messageboards like this. social phobia can so easily be figured out if you can see everyones egos, as well as other mental disorders. im sorry im trying to explain this the best i can.

XBeX

i know its hard for you to see but deep down inside every single one of you knows its true. just please if you can do one thing for me. just be as quiet and still as you can. that thing i was talking about deep down inside of you. it will break through eventually. once this has broke through you have done it and the process can not be reversed. not every one is going to understand this, but eventually you all will.

Doomed2Die

I'm guessing these books are all about 'detaching' and 'meditation' with a little of 'completely ignore all that stuff', and the writer claims he had no religious influence? Heh.

XBeX said:
just please if you can do one thing for me. just be as quiet and still as you can.

what.

XBeX

hahah i have no fucking idea i was so high when i wrote all this. um yeah i guess i had drug induced scitzophrenia or something...hahahahah shit my bad...well this is awkward....bye all have a good time.sorry bout the social phoiba thing. get better.

Atlantis

sabbath92003 said:
Good question. Let's suppose I get this thought: "Everyone hates me". In CBT we learn that the thought is irrational, for many reasons. CBT would then have you "correct" the thought by saying to yourself "that thought is irrational, everyone doesn't hate me, some people like me". In ACT we learn to stop believing this thought, thru cognitive defusion and other techniques. But even if we don't truly stop believing this thought, ACT tells us not to focus on the thought (or belief) but instead focus on what the thought is keeping us from. In other words, we stop struggling with the thought and instead focus on the avoidance the thought creates. To counter avoidance, we use mindfulness, values, and finally just brute willpower to move our arms, legs and mouth in the direction we want. It takes some reading and lots of practice, but eventually you'll stop avoiding and start living. While you're living, you'll feel anger, depression, anxiety, happiness, confusion, etc. That's called being human. Tolle and ACT teach that we need to learn how to just be a being.

CBT had me debating myself all day. With ACT, I treat thoughts and feelings like an abused puppy. I don't debate them or struggle with them. By dropping my side of the rope in an anxiety tug-of-war, I win by default.

ACT and Tolle also teach that we need to learn to be non-judgmental to ourselves and others.

Using ACT I've learned to become response-able. Sure I still screw up, but like the Japanese proverb says: fall down 7 times, get up 8 times.

I've printed business cards with the ACT algorithm on one side (in colors) and the FEAR algorithm on the other side (in just black ink).

Fusion with your thoughts
Evaluation of experiences
Avoidance of your experiences
Reason giving for your behavior

It would be nice if you could explain a more about what is this ACT about. It sounded interesting. If could be more detailed about each step plz ?

What do you mean we should concentrate on what we avoid instead struggling with our thoughts ? In what sense we values and etc to counter avoidance ?

Maybe if you can give examples of how you should act in a situation ?