Teeth Grinding??

I find myself obsessively grinding my teeth non stop as of lately, it's been getting a lot worse. I'll also clench my jaw, so it's like either I'm doing that or grinding my teeth, and my mouth hurts like crazy by the end of the day. I try to chew gum most of the day but I still do it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same problem, and can never stop grinding their teeth?

dottie

i don't grind my teeth because i am very concious that i don't want to ruin them. so i've never allowed myself to do it. but i always clench my jaw.

Foxglove

I don't grind them, I just kind of grit them together. The muscles in my neck and shoulders are always tense, too. Even when I'm asleep. It's like I can never relax.

Sn0wman

Yes! I've been grinding my teeth for 10+ years. Although I do it mostly while sleeping. I've grounded them down so much that there are no pointy bits left. My dentist made me a plastic splint (like a mouth guard) to wear while sleeping so I grind that down instead of further damaging my teeth. It also readjusts my jaw position so I would grind less even without the splint.

Do yourself a favour and see a dentist about it. Teeth grinding can cause significant damage in the long term.

And I do think my teeth grinding is related to stress caused by my SA.

slimjim119

I have been grinding my teeth for years. Only while I'm sleeping. My dentist made up a nightguard so i don't do anymore damage to them. You should go to a dentist and have it checked out. Its usually related to stress. I do clench my jaw during the day sometimes and get headaches and stiff necks as a result.

Thanks all you guys, that is a really good idea. I really need one of those too, I can feel the damage it's doing already. I want my teeth to stay the way they are and not get ruined. Oooh maybe jaw clenching is a reason why I get headaches so much... :/

mrb

after reading most of your posts psy , half your problem is you spend way to much time on your computer , there is another life beyond that comp , but you have to make steps to change your life , the only person that can help you , is you , you have got yourself into bad cycle and its not going to change unless you make the steps to change yourself , i know its a scarey world out there , but reading your posts you seem quite intelligent , so start going out more dont turn into a recluse , your not happy are you ? so do something to change that lol , sorry for going on but i hate to think of you just getting up in the morning , to nothing nothing nothing as you put it , i hate talking to people i avoid it , but that doesnt mean turn into a recluse , so come on psy get out of that house have a lil sunshine on your face , turn your life around gazza

Dudley

Not so much teeth grinding for me, but I've always sort of chattered out rhythms to songs as a nervous habit. Either way, not good for the teeth or the jaw muscles.

Lea

Banned
I don´t do it in the daytime, but guess I do it in sleep, because recently I had most of my teeth repaired and the dentist left the fillings a bit higher, which didn´t bother me during the day but when I woke up at night, my mouth always hurt so much that I needed to take painkillers. It stopped when he lowered it a bit. I feel I do this because of stress, at night the body does it automatically.

isnteasy

after reading most of your posts psy , half your problem is you spend way to much time on your computer , there is another life beyond that comp , but you have to make steps to change your life , the only person that can help you , is you , you have got yourself into bad cycle and its not going to change unless you make the steps to change yourself , i know its a scarey world out there , but reading your posts you seem quite intelligent , so start going out more dont turn into a recluse , your not happy are you ? so do something to change that lol , sorry for going on but i hate to think of you just getting up in the morning , to nothing nothing nothing as you put it , i hate talking to people i avoid it , but that doesnt mean turn into a recluse , so come on psy get out of that house have a lil sunshine on your face , turn your life around gazza

LOL morons crack me up!!