Talking again

Rob26

I was aged 13 when my voice started to change & crack, people made fun of me and the fear of this caused SA & selective mutism to develop.
I only spoke to a few people,This group became smaller until I couldn't speak to anyone at all, not even my family.
In 2002 I just stopped talking altogether and have not said a single word in 12 years.
I dropped out of school but was educated at home every day until 16

I have been pretty much a recluse all this time,in the real world at least.
Im 26 years old now and recently came to realise what a dumb f**k I have been and that I need to get things in gear and sort my life out, I have conversed with some great people online from all over the world and my dream is to meet some of them in person.

But to do this I need to talk again, which is proving a little difficult. I have tried saying some words to myself like "Hi" "yes" and its not working out like I hoped.

This was hard to write and I hope I made sense, If anyone understands my problem or can help me in any way please let me know PM if you wish,
I sure could do with your help:)

Sammie_Kay

Hello! Good Luck! I would say try to think about doing baby steps to help you. Sounded like you have tried by saying Hello.I know it is super hard but if you keep trying, IT WILL GET BETTER! Maybe try video chatting with someone of your friends. I hope you keep us up to date with how you are doing!

arjuna

Hi

Can I ask you question? If you haven't being saying practically anything for so long, do you still think you have sufficient paradigms? I've had SA for so long that I have a massive problem understanding the world. I ask you think because even though you say you have had selective mutism you seem quite sane and with it.

Rob26

Hello! Good Luck! I would say try to think about doing baby steps to help you. Sounded like you have tried by saying Hello.I know it is super hard but if you keep trying, IT WILL GET BETTER! Maybe try video chatting with someone of your friends. I hope you keep us up to date with how you are doing!

Thanks, it is super hard. The hardest thing is trying not to give up on myself

Rob26

Hi

Can I ask you question? If you haven't being saying practically anything for so long, do you still think you have sufficient paradigms? I've had SA for so long that I have a massive problem understanding the world. I ask you think because even though you say you have had selective mutism you seem quite sane and with it.

You can as me anything and that is a good question
I was the same, I still have problems reading people. But you learn about the world by observing & interacting with it, you make mistakes but you will learn from them. Ok because of SA we often cant do this.
What I did was join forums, chatting with people online & reading,watching,discovering new things.
I have learnt a great deal, both about myself,my condition and the world and people in general,in time it also gives you more confidence in yourself, there has been some f*ck ups along the way but I can say my SA has improved because of it.
Which has lead me to deal with the problem & find my voice again