Taking SSRIs for Soc. Phobia - a blog of sorts

Psilopa

Since many people ask questions about the effects and side-effects of SSRIs I may as well write down my own experience, which started today.

I am a 30-something adult recently diagnosed with social phobia with a side order of generalised anxiety. I've had the phobia as long as I can remember. You know the story: 0-1 friends though life, very little in the way of social life, no intimate relationships, trouble with creating a career in a field where 'peer review' and research groups are the norm. I can handle public speaking (by unavoidable exposure), it's the private, the purely social interaction that causes my SP to flare up. I argued with the psychiatrist about the pros and cons of various medicines, but when he asked whether I'd like to talk about my problems, I froze, even if I knew he meant therapy. Still, somehow, depression is not a big problem for me.

I am starting the medication with a clean slate: no previous medication, no physical diseases, normal weight & height. Never cared for booze or cigs. I have not tried therapy but certainly plan to do so asap.

For the record, english is my 3rd language, so any and all mistakes are my own, not caused by the SA or the meds.

So, I've been given six pills of Cipralex 10mg (escitalopram) and a recipe for a 3-month supply. Total cost, about one euro per per day (1.25$/day). The psychiatrist told me to take 5 mg (half a pill) a day for the first six days. He warned me about the common side effects.

I will not update every day, just when I think a status update is in order.

Psilopa

Day 1. Dose: 5mg.

Yesterday was a very, very high stress day: a work meeting didn't go that well, plus someone stole the front wheel of my bike, so I had to leave it outside all alone and take the tram home. To compensate, I took care to make this day an easy one.

Swallowed one half of a 10-mg pill before breakfast. 45 minutes later I started to feel very slightly nauseous. Just a touch of uneasiness. Eating makes the feeling all but disappear. I've had food poisoning and it's the same dull ache, only very weak. And unlike food poisoning, the nausea is stronger with an empty stomach. At 9 pm, it's still here, ever-present but harmless.

Anything else? I'm not sure. My voice feels a bit deeper than normal, but I have no-one around to confirm any change. Perhaps it's just the raw autumn weather of the last few days. The weather certainly didn't cause the erections though! Feeling a bit sensitive today eh, even in the tram. I doubt that has anything do to with the pill; if anything it should case the opposite. We'll see...

PS. A deeper voice and mystery movements in the trouser department. That sounds like puberty. Not again dammit.

Psilopa

Day 2. Dose: 5mg.

The nausea had disappeared during the night, but it returned 30 minutes after I took today's dose. And it's stronger this time; I was definitely feeling uncomfortable towards the end of the working day.

Psilopa

Days 3-6: dose 5mg

Got through the 'step-up' week without major problems. The nausea is essentially gone now. We'll see if it returns tomorrow with the first entire 10mg pill.

I think I have lost some sensitivity, but anorgasmia is still just a word for me. So the frequent erections is still the main side effect on the sexual side. Simply stretching and relaxing gives me a hard-on :oops:. Handling (haha) this particular side effectwould have been excruciating as a teenager.

KurtG85

That's a pretty damn rare 'side effect', although 'bonus' might be a better word for it. Consider yourself damn lucky. Hope its goin well for you.

Psilopa

KurtG85 said:
That's a pretty damn rare 'side effect', although 'bonus' might be a better word for it. Consider yourself damn lucky. Hope its goin well for you.

It doesn't feel like a bonus when you get hard in inappropriate situations. Like today, in a commuter train packed with retirees :evil:

Psilopa

Status after one week on 10mg.

No positive effect as far as I can see, but I don't think I am fit to judge myself. Upping the dose to 10mg changed the side effects somewhat: the nausea is gone for good, but now I have trouble falling asleep. I just do not feel sleepy at all in the evenings. For the first few days my lower jaw felt stiff and I had trouble yawning (a very strange feeling), but that has passed.

Thanks so much for this, I'll be filling out a prescription I have for some SSRIs tomorrow, i was really glad to be able to read this to know what to expect the first week or two. keep up the good work, thanks loads!

Psilopa

Quite a few weeks have elapsed since I last told you what's going on. IIRC this is week six, and it seems clear that things aren't working :?

The problem is that I can't fall asleep. I spend hours waiting and twitching in my bed. Insomnia has never before been a problem for me and it started on the very day I took the first 10mg pill. According to the doctor I spoke with today, this side effect will probably not fade with time if it hasn't done it yet.

I have not been able to nice and significant positive changes. It the insomnia wasn't a problem, I would be willing to wait longer, but as it is, I find this state unacceptable.

We will try another SSRI next.